Montana Elk Combination Tag Draw Odds/Refund?

Kal-Elk

Lil-Rokslider
My Google-fu has failed me on this, so I'm hoping to get more info and verify the following:

According to Montana's information (2019 Draw Statistics), a first-time, nonresident applicant for the Elk combination tag has a 55% (or 75% if they spring for the bonus point at time of application) chance of drawing the Elk Combination Tag.

This would be the only tag necessary to hunt in a general elk unit (322, to be exact), correct? I am NOT trying to draw a permit for a premium unit.

So if I drop the ~$900, and am in the 45%/25% that ISN'T drawn, am I out the 900 and SOL til next year? I see information about refunds, but what I've seen is only in reference to failing to draw an accompanying permit for a premium unit, which again I'm not trying to do.

Any guidance and information is greatly appreciated.

agaugler

FNG
We got into this situation last year. First time applying, did not draw a combo tag. Got the refund check fairly quickly. Then, we were able to scramble for a non resident general elk tag. There was such a demand, that the system crashed. Montana actually stepped up on this one and issued a tag to everyone who attempted to log in and buy one. Saved our hunting season for sure.