Montana Elk for 2022

tntrker

WKR
I went on a guided Montana Rifle elk hunt in 2018 and it was less than idea, imo, as we rode around in 4x4's looking vs a camp & horses even after raising concerns with outfitter that it wasn't what was expected or foretold. I did end up with a nice bull, 5x5, and while it was nice riding in a truck with heater, ranch lunch, hot showers, etc, I had expected something more demanding.
I had a hunt booked, for 3 yrs, for next year that just fell due to ranch sold and now looking at finding a hunt with my 3pp and 2 bonus points. My 3 options vary in location and I'm asking for advice in locations as to Elk populations. Please PM me your opinion, as I do not want to cause a flux in anyone's general direction that hunts those areas with Bow or rifle. My choices are in Montana are NW Helena in the Flathead area, Big sky area, or Three Forks area. Thanks

bsnedeker

WKR
I live in the Flathead valley. I would never recommend it to anyone looking to hunt elk. I drive 4-5 hours to hunt elk if that tells you anything.

FWIW...

2021 Montana Big Game Forecast

I can tell you from experience hunting 6 days in the Bob in Sep that animal numbers in that area are low.

8 hunters observed the following TOTALS:

Elk-2 (including my avatar)
Mule deer- 12 with one legal buck (no opportunity)
Black bear- 1 (no opportunity)
Grizzly bear- 1
Wolves- 0
Whitetail- 0
Grouse- 6

I live in the Flathead valley. I would never recommend it to anyone looking to hunt elk. I drive 4-5 hours to hunt elk if that tells you anything.
Seconded. I've been hiking and driving all over the Flathead, looking for elk. Low densities and lots of cover make them very hard to find.

Wolf_trapper

Lil-Rokslider
FWIW...

2021 Montana Big Game Forecast

I can tell you from experience hunting 6 days in the Bob in Sep that animal numbers in that area are low.

8 hunters observed the following TOTALS:

Elk-2 (including my avatar)
Mule deer- 12 with one legal buck (no opportunity)
Black bear- 1 (no opportunity)
Grizzly bear- 1
Wolves- 0
Whitetail- 0
Grouse- 6
X2 as much as I like hunting wilderness areas don't go there expecting to see much. Three forks would be the area the op should look.