Montana elk hunting in early November clothing.

Ok guys, I have a general tag for Montana this year. I’ll be flying into Helena on November 1 and hunting with my wife’s cousin. I’ll be flying out on November 14. We will be hunting out of a base camp that he hunts out of every year.
my big question for you guys is about my clothing. He said it can get pretty cold that time of year. I can give a quick run down of what I have to see what you guys think.

HEAD
Kryptek Altitude ball cap
First lit brimmed merino hat
First lite Aerowool neck gaiter

Kryptek merino wool base layer
Kryptek Valhalla shirt
Kryptek cronos hoodie
Vidar vest(old but love it)
Kryptek Kratos puffy
Kryptek Einar jacket
Kryptek Cadog( if needed, it may stay at the house and not go to camp. )

BOTTOM
Kryptek merino
Kryptek Dalibor pants
Kryptek Kratos puffy pants ( if needed)
Kryptek Cadog pant( if needed)

FOOTWEAR
Merino socks
Kennetrek 400 gram mountain extremes.

I’m thinking about another merino too for camp wear or dry sleeping top and another bottom. Those will probably be first lite , maybe the shirt with the hood. I don’t know yet. I’m also wondering if I should get a rain shell. If for nothing else than to cut wind. I don’t think the Cadog jacket is as wind proof as claimed to be. If I do get a rain shell it will either be the Koldo or the posidean from Kryptek.
Another place I’m kind of unsure is gloves. Usually I don’t really have a problem with cold hands but when it does happen it is miserable. I have some light weight gloves from , you guessed it, Kryptek. However I am lacking in a warmer heavier glove. That being said I have no idea which way to go on the glove front.
What do you guys think of my clothes? I know it’s slot but I do NOT want to worry about being cold.

bsnedeker

WKR
I'm not familiar with kryptec gear but it looks like you've got your bases covered.

Get yourself a set of chopper mits to keep your hands warm. Buy bigger than your normal size and you can wear them over your light gloves and can pull them off quick if a shot presents itself. That's what I do anyway.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Waggy

FNG
The first two weeks of November in Montana can be 60*, or -20*… Sometimes both in the same week! I would pack for the worst case and leave gear at your base camp (extra socks especially). I am also not familiar with Krypec but a heavier glove would definitely be a good idea as well, especially If a storm rolls through and the wind blows. Cold hands can ruin a hunt for me pretty quick.

TX_Diver

WKR
Last time I hunted in November (WY) was a few years ago... I bought a bow 2 months later and haven't hunted a late season since. Now that I've lived in WI for a few winters I may have a different take on it, but coming from Houston TX at the time it sucked. I saw one group of cows and shot the one closest to me ASAP.

Layers are obviously key and having some good outerwear and boots that you are comfortable and warm in is key. Your list is probably pretty comprehensive.

If you're coming from Florida I'd add more clothes. If you're from North Dakota you'll probably be fine.

ElkNut1

WKR
Outside of the warm temps of archery elk hunts I go all wool, nothing beats it!

ElkNut

OP
fort fireman
Last time I hunted in November (WY) was a few years ago... I bought a bow 2 months later and haven't hunted a late season since. Now that I've lived in WI for a few winters I may have a different take on it, but coming from Houston TX at the time it sucked. I saw one group of cows and shot the one closest to me ASAP.

Layers are obviously key and having some good outerwear and boots that you are comfortable and warm in is key. Your list is probably pretty comprehensive.

If you're coming from Florida I'd add more clothes. If you're from North Dakota you'll probably be fine.
I’m coming from Nc. However I’m originally from NW Pa and have hunted in some pretty cold temps. However I’ve been in Nc for 22 +years so my blood is a tad thinner than it used to be. 😊

OP
fort fireman

ElkNut

I have a wool set of pants, shirt jacket and hooded jacket from Columbia. I love that set for all day sits back home in Pa but it is heavy. Not sure if I want to lug that kind of weight up and down mountains.

ElkNut

I have a wool set from Columbia that I love. I use it for all day rifle sits back home in Pa. however that set of pants, shirt jacket, and hooded jacket is heavy. I’ve thrown the idea of shipping that set out before I go so if I need it it’s there.

two words....Hand warmers. Get the ones you open and shake and put in each glove. In 10 mins they will be toasty and last for 4-6 hrs. They work really well

I would also make sure you have a neck gaitor/balacava to cover your face.

I don't use them but guys that get cold feet get the foot inserts.

Hope for the cold weather because if it is warm it will be tougher hunting.

WRO

WKR
two words....Hand warmers. Get the ones you open and shake and put in each glove. In 10 mins they will be toasty and last for 4-6 hrs. They work really well

I would also make sure you have a neck gaitor/balacava to cover your face.

I don't use them but guys that get cold feet get the foot inserts.

Hope for the cold weather because if it is warm it will be tougher hunting.
On the hand warmers, actually put them on the back of your neck, they'll warm your whole body that way..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

"On the hand warmers, actually put them on the back of your neck, they'll warm your whole body that way.."

The 5 mile hike in at altitude usually does that for me...ha ha but good point if it is cold and you are going to sit.

"On the hand warmers, actually put them on the back of your neck, they'll warm your whole body that way.."

The 5 mile hike in at altitude usually does that for me...ha ha but good point if it is cold and you are going to sit.
Haha yeah when you're sitting all day it don't matter how far you hiked to get there.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk