Montana Mule Deer - Opener vs Rut

Hey all,

Not sure how many of you experienced the shit show for the Idaho tags with the website issues but needless to say Ill be heading to MT this year after getting screwed out of our Idaho tags.

I've never hunted in MT and know its a great chance to chase muleys in the rut. I had a couple questions was hoping some people with experience may be able to help with. My dad and I will likely be heading to region 6. We're not big road hunters and typically like to walk in a few miles and dont have any ORVs. We'll be towing a camper as well.

How much of an advantage is waiting til the first week or two in Nov vs. going the opener? We have some obligations in Nov and it may be easier to go opening week. Is there more / less pressure? How does the weather compare? Mostly concerned about snow with the trailer but my dad doesnt do as well in the weather as he used to either.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Happy to share info on Idaho or WA Deer/Elk as well. Thank you

Weather in November can be 80 degrees or -20 like this past season. Are y’all looking for any deer or larger bucks? Chances of turning up a good buck are substantially higher during November, especially if you do not know the area. Either way just hunt when you can, good luck!

If it gets wet around these parts you won’t be driving anywhere! The gumbo is some of the worst you’ve seen! Region 6 definitely isn’t what it used to be, but If you’re into overcrowded public lands and 2 year old bucks region 6 is right up your alley! The deer up here get piss pounded from opener to close! It’s really just a crapshoot any more but the later you come you might get lucky and see a nice one! Good luck with your hunt though

November brings the rut but also can bring cold windy days (not always but likely). Also like 406huntermt mentioned that gumbo is nasty. It may be snowy or frozen in the morning but melt into a muddy mess during the day. Could definitely strand you if you aren’t thinking about it. Best of luck on your hunt!

j_volt

WKR
I have never hunted the opener in Montana. I have hunted 3 different years and 3 different weeks of November. I encountered relatively high pressure each time. Lots of road hunters, but not too bad once you push in. I am very impatient and prefer to hunt rutting deer especially without scouting up to the season.

slowelk

WKR
I hear it gets really good just after December 1st. Just remember, you have to call in your two point buck to 1-800-TIP-MONT.

If it gets wet around these parts you won’t be driving anywhere! The gumbo is some of the worst you’ve seen! Region 6 definitely isn’t what it used to be, but If you’re into overcrowded public lands and 2 year old bucks region 6 is right up your alley! The deer up here get piss pounded from opener to close! It’s really just a crapshoot any more but the later you come you might get lucky and see a nice one! Good luck with your hunt though
Is the gumbo bad on just the "two-track" roads or do the maintained gravel roads get impassible as well?

Is the gumbo bad on just the "two-track" roads or do the maintained gravel roads get impassible as well?
A lot of the gravel roads don’t have much gravel on them so they tend to be the same as two tracks… and don’t be the guy that trashes all the roads! Good luck to ya

Well that's fun. I knew it was bad, for driving and walking, but figured I'd have a shot of at least not getting super stuck on the named roads. Was planning on camping close to town either way, trying not to be the guy that gets stuck or jacks everything up. If the weather is crap we might just head to a different area all together and not worry about it.

Plowboy85

Lil-Rokslider
You have any idea what units in 6 y’all are going to? I’ll be up there myself first week of November, work didn’t leave me a lot of options. I don’t have an expectations and I’ve killed enough wildlife to be just fine with eating a tag if I don’t find a mature deer, I enjoy the adventures more than anything honestly.

You have any idea what units in 6 y’all are going to? I’ll be up there myself first week of November, work didn’t leave me a lot of options. I don’t have an expectations and I’ve killed enough wildlife to be just fine with eating a tag if I don’t find a mature deer, I enjoy the adventures more than anything honestly.
We're shooting for the first week of Nov as well and probably Unit 630, looks like a lot of public access. I don't have any expectations either, just looking to see some new country and hike around a bit. Would love for some snow but If its a muddy mess we'll probably head south east and check that out.

Plowboy85

Lil-Rokslider
We're shooting for the first week of Nov as well and probably Unit 630, looks like a lot of public access. I don't have any expectations either, just looking to see some new country and hike around a bit. Would love for some snow but If its a muddy mess we'll probably head south east and check that out.
Looks like we are thinking the same. Have y’all looked at 600 or 670?

Lots of people anymore lots of 2 and 3 year old deer might get lucky during the rut and find a big one coming down from Canada. I haven’t shot a deer since 2019 if that tells you anything. If you have any other questions you can pm me