Montana or Wyoming to retire?

Billinsd

WKR
Thats a huge concern in WY. May be really bad for all. And agree on bring the mentality that they flee from I dont get it
That's because many or most are fleeing, because California has become so expensive and crowded. They aren't super left wing, more left moderates. They aren't leaving because of the politics. They are too young and or not smart enough to put 2 and 2 together (understand why it's gotten so expensive and crowded here). So, when they arrive somewhere else they get homesick and want to make where they have moved, like where they came from. These folks have about zero critical thinking skills.

Billinsd

WKR
When I move out of California, I'd like a Walmart, Costco within 20 miles and UPS and FedEx service. That's what I'd to to have, that I have here and nothing else, thank you very much!

amassi

WKR
If your retiring I'd go wherever your dollar stretches furthest. Montana's economy seems more secure than Wyoming's so if you buy property it may hold value better

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I grew up in the sticks, nothing around. I've hunted in WY, been through MT. Hunting is great in WY, but I'd never consider moving there CO has it all for me best move I've ever made.

OP
B
Whereabout i initially thought about CO after going on a sheep hunt there couldnt believe my buddy drew it! but we are on the west slop near Delta reason being i love big mule deer

in the same boat just a little longer time frame to get out. I am sure there are some California left wingers moving out of the state but for the most part, everyone I know that are leaving California are hard to the right. But it is sad to see how this movement if effecting places in the West. I am probably looking harder at Wyoming hoping the hardness of winter will keep more people away.

If you’re looking for high cost of living, high cost of housing, extremely low income when compared to the national average, poor access to medical care, a complete absence of decent restaurants, ever-decreasing hunting opportunities, a half year long winter and tweakers all over the place looking to steal your shit then come on up.

Billinsd

WKR
If you’re looking for high cost of living, high cost of housing, extremely low income when compared to the national average, poor access to medical care, a complete absence of decent restaurants, ever-decreasing hunting opportunities, a half year long winter and tweakers all over the place looking to steal your shit then come on up.
Great Falls or Idaho Falls?

Deadfall

WKR
Everyone freaking out right now. Everything is crazy. Have seen influxes before. Couple hard winters here n montana and most will mosey on. Sure some will stay. Point is housing will look different in 3 years when you ready to move. Both places have everything you looking for

Ralphie

WKR
The economy is so bad in Wyoming it looks like they are canceling hunting seasons for the foreseeable future.

jmez

WKR
@blacktail sniper I cannot help with WY but I can comment on Montana, or at least parts of it. My wife and I are planning to move to the Livingston area of Montana. Wyoming was on the list but we really enjoy skiing. In Wyoming that would have to put us near Jackson Hole. I am too poor for that option. We also fell in love with Montana. We love the Livingston area, Emigrant and Big Timber. I would look at other options but I have a daughter and son in law coming as well and she already has work lined up in Livingston as an accountant. The problem I am seeing right now is that housing pricing are nuts. After screwing up their respective states, it seems like everyone is going for "country life". Homes are actually being purchase sight unseen. As a result, I am seeing 750 sq ft homes with rotted siding going on the market for $360,000. I read, it may have been on Rokslide, that Sheridan is going through some of the same silliness.

It is going to be interesting how this all shakes out. I am not sure people realize how cold it can really get. Or how windy. Or how rough the roads can get.

I would be lying if I told you I was not worried about the future political climate in Montana. I am hopeful that even the left leaning population has enough taste of the outdoors and freedoms they enjoy to fight back. I actually hope Montana and surrounding states will tell the federal government to go pound sand once the new administration gets in. It is all about the people around you. That is what matters. I probably have another 30 to 40 years left on this planet. So my next move is very important to me and my wife. We just want to be left alone.

The hunting in both states will be outstanding. Heck, I am from Massachusetts. Any state will be better than mine.

We ended up purchasing the least expensive home in Livingston this past August. We will move into it and take our time to learn the area and figure out where we want to live. It also affords us the time to watch the market eventually implode and purchase something reasonable. And it will. I have been in commercial real estate for 25 years. I have seen a few of these cycles already.

So with that said, take a lot of trips to the areas that interest you and consider renting or buying something inexpensive so you can figure things out. We spent our four last vacations getting a rental car and pounding out 2,000 miles each time we visited. At this point, I know parts of Montana quite well :)

I am jealous of all the antelope in WY though. We drove from east to west, into Utah this June. Had to have seen a thousand of them. They are on my bucket list of animals to shoot and eat real soon. Maybe I can find one in MT.
Head east on 212. Plenty of antelope.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

bobr1

WKR
The school systems are currently much better in Wyoming than Montana by a long shot they have much more funding per student and student faculty ratio's are much better. Wyoming also does not have income tax for personal or business. The housing market in western Montana is insane as well. Realistically the last hold out from the west cost exodus and politics will be Wyoming just because the majority of the state is pretty harsh to live in or isolated and most people are not going to move to places that aren't near the mountains. Honestly, I would do research on what is most important to you and what each state can offer and then go visit several times instead of just asking people on the internet on a major life decision. Most people are going to tell you MT is full, which it is.

MTHunter20

Lil-Rokslider
FWIW I was worried about Montana’s political future too before moving here last summer. We went solid red in the elections this year though. Wyoming is awesome too though. We had it narrowed down to either of these 2 states before we moved and were going to be okay with either one. I’m happy we ended up in Montana though.

OP
B
The school systems are currently much better in Wyoming than Montana by a long shot they have much more funding per student and student faculty ratio's are much better. Wyoming also does not have income tax for personal or business. The housing market in western Montana is insane as well. Realistically the last hold out from the west cost exodus and politics will be Wyoming just because the majority of the state is pretty harsh to live in or isolated and most people are not going to move to places that aren't near the mountains. Honestly, I would do research on what is most important to you and what each state can offer and then go visit several times instead of just asking people on the internet on a major life decision. Most people are going to tell you MT is full, which it is.
Yup why we are doing it now. Ive already spent a lot of time in WY just getting some thoughts to narrow down research

Montana, for the legal weed. Wyoming will probably be one of the last hold outs with Utah and Idaho.