Montana Outfitter Recommendations

Mtoman12

FNG
Hey Everyone!

I am in the processing of booking a Montana rifle elk hunt for 2022. I have enough points to get a tag for the general units. I know a bunch of outfitters are already book but wanted to ask for some reviews on the ones that i found to be decent (i hope) that have hunts available.

I am looking to hunt either SW or Central Montana.

My two current options are:

1. - Backcountry Montana Outfitters - Dillion - Cory Creighton
2. - Montana Guide Service - Gardiner - Edwin Johnson

Does anyone have any info on either one-good or bad reviews?

Or.....Does anyone have one that highly recommend from those areas that they have been with?

It is very hard to pick between all the different outfitters and it seems that are some bad ones to avoid.

I appreciate all the help and info!

Thank you!

BadDogPSD

WKR
Check out Montana OutWest Outfitters. They seem to have a pretty solid reputation & Remi is a pretty cool guy.

Wib

Lil-Rokslider
Two Bear Outfitters and Rick Wemple Outfitters out of Hamilton are two I've heard good things about.

I'm presently starting t look for an outfitter in District 410, archery elk...eastern side where I've no experience..

Jaker_cc

WKR
Montana Trophy Outfitters

Lots of private land, lots of elk, and first class accommodations. I’ve hunted with these guys 4 times during archery and they are always killing bulls during rifle season. They are great people and straight up elk killers.

Give Forrest a call and tell him Jake sent you his way.

(406) 498-5608

Mttrophy.com

1. It was started by a guy named Mike Marsh who guided me for years at another outfitter. He doesn't guide anymore but is involved managing the ranch/business. Highly recommend him. He is a stand up guy. Grew up in the area and busts his butt.

Two Bear Outfitters and Rick Wemple Outfitters out of Hamilton are two I've heard good things about.

I'm presently starting t look for an outfitter in District 410, archery elk...eastern side where I've no experience..
Two Bear just sold last year. Don’t know the new owner but surely he has some things to learn. I outfitted that area out of the main camp one season. Rick Wemple sold half. Gave up overnight use which are pack in hunts. I don’t know that new owner either but a friend who outfits further south said he’s selling a ton of hunts dirt cheap. That doesn’t sound good.

Young Blood

Lil-Rokslider
I would not spend money on a guided hunt in NW Montana. Densities are too low. There is a reason you see so many locals from NW Montana heading to the Dillon/Wisdom area to elk hunt. Depending on your expectations, I also wouldn't pay for a guided hunt around Dillon unless it was an outfit operating on private land if you want a large caliber bull. If I had to money to spare on it, I would look for an outfitter operating on private land in central MT. You are going to have much better densities, much larger age class, and no competing hunting pressure.

I would not spend money on a guided hunt in NW Montana. Densities are too low. There is a reason you see so many locals from NW Montana heading to the Dillon/Wisdom area to elk hunt. Depending on your expectations, I also wouldn't pay for a guided hunt around Dillon unless it was an outfit operating on private land if you want a large caliber bull. If I had to money to spare on it, I would look for an outfitter operating on private land in central MT. You are going to have much better densities, much larger age class, and no competing hunting pressure.
Hunted early rifle bugle season in the Bob 9/15-9/20 and agree 100% densities are low. I was fortunate to take a very nice bull, but it was the only one seen in 6 days of hard hunting by 8 hunters and 4 veteran guides to the area. If taking an animal is #1 priority, I would pay money elsewhere.

Two Bear just sold last year. Don’t know the new owner but surely he has some things to learn. I outfitted that area out of the main camp one season. Rick Wemple sold half. Gave up overnight use which are pack in hunts. I don’t know that new owner either but a friend who outfits further south said he’s selling a ton of hunts dirt cheap. That doesn’t sound good.
I have run into Two Bear several times this season. The guide I spoke with was from Wisconsin and had never even hunted elk before. Two days in a row, my hunting partner and I were working a bugling bull and the guide and client came in to our setup on the upwind side and called over the top of us. This of course sent the elk over the ridge both times and ruined things for both parties. The third day the guide had his client sit a wallow about 200 yards from where our truck was parked, on a road that has lots of hunters driving by and bugling all day. They had 5 clients in camp last week, and about 50 total for the month. It is not that large of an area. I felt bad for the client who was paying for an inexperienced guide and an overcrowded camp. It can be a decent area, but it is easily accessible from the road and gets quite a bit of pressure from locals. I would recommend looking elsewhere, as I'm sure you can find a better hunting experience for the money.

IS, I ran into your brother up there a few weeks ago. Let's just say he didn't have anything good to say about Two Bear either.

Wapiti1

WKR
Montana Hunting Co. Big Racks of Montana. Northern Rockies Outfitters. All good operations, but probably booked for 2022.

Jeremy

Car7x

WKR
Check out Montana OutWest Outfitters. They seem to have a pretty solid reputation & Remi is a pretty cool guy.
I tried calling - I'm sure email or website contact as well, don't remember - these guys for a year, starting 2 years ago, and gave up. I admire Remi as he appears on his show, but was really disappointed by the unprofessional management of their contact system. I presumed, probably wrong, that he was a figurehead for other guide(s) and they were booked up with no protocol for managing incoming inquiries. YMMV.

LukeHalli

FNG
Hey Everyone!

I am in the processing of booking a Montana rifle elk hunt for 2022. I have enough points to get a tag for the general units. I know a bunch of outfitters are already book but wanted to ask for some reviews on the ones that i found to be decent (i hope) that have hunts available.

I am looking to hunt either SW or Central Montana.

My two current options are:

1. - Backcountry Montana Outfitters - Dillion - Cory Creighton
2. - Montana Guide Service - Gardiner - Edwin Johnson

Does anyone have any info on either one-good or bad reviews?

Or.....Does anyone have one that highly recommend from those areas that they have been with?

It is very hard to pick between all the different outfitters and it seems that are some bad ones to avoid.

I appreciate all the help and info!

Thank you!
You could also check out the Big Hole Valley. Lapham Outfitters runs a good unit I am told.

tntrker

WKR
I'm going with Montana Wilderness Outfitters, Terry Search, for bow elk/deer. They are recommended by Remi's site. I've never hunted with them before but Terry is always willing to talk hunting and my hopes are high.

I agree with the comments about booking with an Outfitter anywhere in W MT, especially NW MT. The promises these guys make are outrageous. A lot of the permitting has changed as well. Instead of having a defined area for a specific Outfitter, more and more areas are going to managing by “Use Days”. It’s on the Outfitter to report their days. It’s turned into the Wild West.
If you draw a coveted permit, or like another guy said, you’re booking around White Sulphur on a huge exclusive chunk of private, you’re getting a unique service for your $. But if you’re 1 of dozens of clients that is going to park at the same gated road, or trail as every other general tag holder… you are simply not getting anywhere near the service that you are paying for.
I hope you guys get lucky and have a good experience, but I would think long and hard about spending the $ that is being charged to hunt ANY general OTC unit. Others may disagree, but be careful with your $.

LukeHalli

FNG
I agree with the comments about booking with an Outfitter anywhere in W MT, especially NW MT. The promises these guys make are outrageous. A lot of the permitting has changed as well. Instead of having a defined area for a specific Outfitter, more and more areas are going to managing by “Use Days”. It’s on the Outfitter to report their days. It’s turned into the Wild West.
If you draw a coveted permit, or like another guy said, you’re booking around White Sulphur on a huge exclusive chunk of private, you’re getting a unique service for your $. But if you’re 1 of dozens of clients that is going to park at the same gated road, or trail as every other general tag holder… you are simply not getting anywhere near the service that you are paying for.
I hope you guys get lucky and have a good experience, but I would think long and hard about spending the $ that is being charged to hunt ANY general OTC unit. Others may disagree, but be careful with your $.
Good insight for sure. Make sure your dollar is being well spent.

Bones72

FNG
Have any of you guys hunted with Armells Creek Outfitters unit 417 or Burke Ranch Outfitters in the 620"s? how was the hunt? Was it worth the $$? Thanks

Austink

FNG
I'm going with Montana Wilderness Outfitters, Terry Search, for bow elk/deer. They are recommended by Remi's site. I've never hunted with them before but Terry is always willing to talk hunting and my hopes are high.
Did you go this year and hunt with them? I am curious on how it went