Montana - Party hunting question

mans9110

FNG
Quick question on applying to Montana as a party (in our case 2 hunters where I have 1 point and partner has zero). I see that bonus points (used for the limited unit draws) are averaged for party applications. Is it the same case for preference points for the license? Wondering if we can be guaranteed at drawing licenses to hunt general units this coming year or if we need to wait until my partner also has 1 point to be guaranteed.

Oh and by the way there’s a big difference between party hunting and party applications for licenses. Threw me a curveball there....

Wapiti1

WKR
From the MT FWP site:

Parties

Up to 5 applicants may apply as a party. FWP shall use an average of the number of preference points accumulated by those applicants to determine the party's preference points. FWP shall consider any fraction that result from the calculation of an average when determining that priority.

Jeremy

OP
M

mans9110

FNG
Thanks Wapiti1. I thought that with one preference point you would guarantee draw a license in Montana based on GoHunt application strategy from last year, but now noticing that it has creeped up. Trying to figure out if we put in for Montana or Wyoming this year (I have 2 points and partner has zero in Wyoming) with going back to Colorado as back-up

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Wapiti1. I thought that with one preference point you would guarantee draw a license in Montana based on GoHunt application strategy from last year, but now noticing that it has creeped up. Trying to figure out if we put in for Montana or Wyoming this year (I have 2 points and partner has zero in Wyoming) with going back to Colorado as back-up
Your not drawing Wyoming either unless your lucky in the random draw or put in for the special.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh and by the way there’s a big difference between party hunting and party applications for licenses. Threw me a curveball there....

I was going to respond to this thread as I have a LOT of experience in enforcing “party hunting” - yeah a big difference between it and party application :)

137buck

Lil-Rokslider
I had two friends from Wisconsin who did not draw their general tags last year with one point, so expect point creep to come into play from now on.

OP
M

mans9110

FNG
I'm from Ontario, where we actually have party hunting:) But I know this is only party application and different. The information out there is a bit confusing and a lot to take in. I'm now reading that you can buy a preference point for that year of application as long as you pay the $50 up front. So I would have 2 preference points and my partner 1. So we would average 1.5, which should be enough to draw the general tag if my reading of the mechanics (75% distributed to the highest preference point holders in order)

Riplip

WKR
If you have one preference point already and you elect to purchase another pref point at time of application you will actually have 2 points for the draw. If your buddy has no pref points and chooses to buy a pref point at time of application he will have one point for the draw. Your average pref point as a party app will be 1.5.

2018 - 100% draw for 1 or more points.
2019 - haven't seen the general draw odd calcs, but there were applicants that did not draw with 1 point.
2020 - will depend on point creep, but you should have fairly good odds.

FYI -Montana allocates 25% of tags for those with no preference points. So last year in MT it was possible to draw a general tag with zero points and not draw with one point.

Wapiti1

WKR
There are two strategies. Put in for the combo, or put in for elk or deer only. Those with combo tags rarely turn them back. Those with elk only tags often turn them back if they do not draw a LE permit. The turn back tags are allocated to the next guy in line. Which means the number of tags in play is effectively higher. The odds of drawing elk only are much better.

Jeremy