Montana Tagging

MNGrouser

FNG
I was fortunate enough to get drawn for a Montana Mule Deer tag this year. When I was going through the application process I opted out of whatever the e-tagging option was that had me downloading another app to my phone. Maybe I'm just too old-school and don't trust the technology. Plus cell service where I hunt is terrible. In addition to worrying that I wouldn't be legal if my phone couldn't communicate with Game & Fish, I have the problem that my phone dies. If I try to keep my phone turned on while I'm hunting, it tries so hard to find service that it drains the battery. My concern is that when the sent me my tag it is printed on basically the paper you'd feed into a copy machine. Is this REALLY my tag? It seems too flimsy to trust in the field. I'm used to the paper/plastic tags that can withstand a little snow and rain and dragging across the hillside.

Is the state of Montana just trying to push me into using their electronic system? Did I miss something and this flimsy piece of paper isn't really my tag? Or is this my tag and I need to baby it until I get my (hopefully) buck out of the woods? I played around on their site for a while looking for the rules. I'd appreciate any insight others have.

Thanks,
MNGrouser

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Haha, yes that is your tag. Their way of saving money and trying to push people to the E-tags. They will eventually go 100% E-tag from what I’m hearing. Check out in the elk forum under the thread for Montana elk tag as they were discussing it and some had ideas on what they did to theirs to make it more durable. Good luck on the hunt!

MTJake

Lil-Rokslider
Yup, that’s your tag. I keep mine in a ziplock until I put it on the animal. I wrap the whole tag with electric tape with the ink side of the tag against the antler or leg so that I can show it if needed.

406life

Lil-Rokslider
There will always be a paper version, albeit simple copy paper. You don't need service in the field to validate your e-tag using the app. It is also your responsibility to keep that paper tag safe, dry, and readable should a warden ask to see it. The baggie approach is probably best if you don't want to put it on waterproof paper or laminate it. I agree, its a poor option from FWP, but thermopaper licenses aren't coming back short of the state legislature requiring it.

I don't know anything about Montana's paper tags.

As far as your phone goes, put it on "airplane" and "battery saver" modes. Also, turn down the screen brightness. Then, buy a portable power bank. If you are not playing with it during the day, the first two should last you a few days on a full charge.

Ditto on the bags for the cheapo tags we pay $600+ for lol. Also, airplane mode is a life saver. I’ll turn mine back on regular mode in a few spots (high ridges or overlooks) so I can text/call my kids and wife, but that’s maybe twice a day in areas with poor service.

Axlrod

WKR
You can cover both sides with clear packing tape. There is an option to print your own tags at home, so you could order some waterproof paper to print on. We have a sporting goods store here that will print OTC tags on waterproof paper.

Reactions: WCB
OP
M

MNGrouser

FNG
Thank you all for the responses! I tried to look for the answer before submitting to the group. I didn't think to check the elk forum.

mnhoundman

Lil-Rokslider
Lol, thought the same thing last year when I got mine? WTF is this! I also put mine in a Ziploc and tape the whole thing to the antlers or whatever, they can unwrap it if they want to see it.

BluMtn

WKR
Zip Lock bag. I think I am going to try the packing tape Idea. Phone, Airplane mode and or buy one of those USB battery packs to charge it if you need to.

hunterjmj

WKR
I buy that laminating stuff and do all our tags. I have my elk and deer tags on the app. I guess I'll try that this year. I actually think it'll be nice to not worry about losing a piece of paper.

jimh406

WKR
I use a zip lock bag and use electrical tape to tape to animal. No, it has nothing to do with pushing to etagging since it’s been that way for years.

Zip lock baggy for the tag as to attaching to the antlers I use the thinner zip ties two of them secures the tag in a bag very well.

WCB

WKR
As others have said zip lock bag. I also "laminate" mine with packing tape. Electrical tape it to the leg or antler. Wrap multiple tight wraps with the tapes sticky side out. Then 3 or 4 wraps with sticky side down. Keeps the makes it easy to cut off and separate the tag from the tape if needed.