Mortons Neuroma surgery experience

jgilber5

Lil-Rokslider
Figured I'd share my experience here as going in to this injury I honestly couldn't find a lot of stories out there, and most were pretty doom and gloom. Thanks to some folks on rockslide that gave me some tips and suggestions to look into.

If you aren't familiar with Mortons Neuroma, it's a thickening of tissue around the nerve, usually between your third and fourth metatarsal bones (think behind your toes in your forefoot) that starts to kill the nerve and build up more and more scar tissue which snowballs the effect. It starts as feeling like you have a rock in your shoe, but by the time I considered surgery, it was a constant intense burning/stinging nerve pain radiating through my forefoot. What finally put me over the top was my 2022 elk pack out. That night, the pain was so bad I couldn't sleep until 6 ibuprofen kicked in, and couldn't walk in close toed shoes for a week.

I'm a pretty healthy and active individual. Skied and ran in high school and college, and continue to train for marathons. Day to day, the pain isn't terrible, but what really kicks it into high gear is tighter stiff shoes, and steep inclines. Makes going more than 2 miles on rough terrain very difficult and very miserable. Dealing with this, especially as a hunter, is pretty darn depressing. Its usually non-reversible if you've tried conservative treatment which I did (footwear changes, cortisone injections), and isn't something you can rehab or train to compensate for. Going into it was a lot of doom and gloom from folks that have had the surgery before, but it does sound like the techniques have come a long ways.

I had the surgery in March, and they went in through the top (apparently this is better healing wise). Not terribly painful. 3 weeks non-weight bearing and then about a month before I could really do a ton on the foot. Now in June back to running 10 miles at a time and virtually no pain other than some incision site healing twinges. The only real side effect is losing feeling in the 3rd and 4th toes, but a small price to pay for no pain. If you're considering getting the surgery, I am certainly glad I did, and wish I did it sooner. Feel free to PM if you're having similar considerations and I can give my 2 cents.

OP
jgilber5

jgilber5

Lil-Rokslider
Another piece I forgot to add, if you try conservative measures like shots first, MAKE SURE YOUR ORTHOPEDIST KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING. Mine did not. The only way to get an effective injection for this is with guided ultrasound. My guy just eyeballed it. Did nothing for the condition, but did damage the fat pad in my foot. Luckily this recovered, but very well could not have.

txjustin

Lil-Rokslider
I have pain in my 2nd and 3rd toes when wearing my boots in the mountains. No other time. It’s like severe burning sensation. Pretty terrible and makes hunting hard.
If I deal with it again this fall I’m getting something done about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
jgilber5

jgilber5

Lil-Rokslider
That sounds pretty consistent with it. One way to tell, squeeze the sides of your feet together and push that spot up and down. If there is a clicking/popping you probably have one.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Oh man, I am dealing with this now. It is between my 2nd and 3rd toes, behind them on my right foot. Foot lady doctor told me it was from wearing too narrow of shoes/boots my whole life. Never new my foot was a 6E. I just bought boots and shoes a bit longer and let them stretch out. VERY BAD IDEA. Now, I know. The Wide Foot Store is my friend. I feel for you. It can be painful at times. Not needing the surgery yet but the injections were not pleasant.