Mountain Rifle Build - Need a Barrel Rec

I recently put together a rifle for a friend on an
NBK and a Proof carbon prefit. KS1 stock. Bix N Andy trigger. $3200 all in. You aren’t getting that done at a gunsmith without spending at least another $1-2000.

And not all of us have good gunsmith’s near us. I trust myself more than I do an unknown possible hack.

You are getting raped if you pay another 1-2k to a gunsmith to thread, chamber and bed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I appreciate that feedback, and you aren’t wrong for using your gunsmith.

You’re also correct that the barrel manufacturer doesn’t have my action on hand. But assuming that the action manufacturer - precision impact, for example- gives a good example of their action to the barrel manufacturer and that the action manufacturer operates on incredibly tight tolerances… there should be no issues.

I’ll submit that errors would be occasionally made by both barrel and action manufacturer.. but goodness. I bet it’s very infrequent.

The actions may be cut very clean and true, but they may be at slightly different tolerances than your smith could do if he had your action in hand.

I’ve watched my gunsmith thread and fit barrels to my actions. He hand fits each one threading to exact tolerances.

TaperPin

WKR
Maybe something else sucks about that set up and the factory and prefit were fine. I have seen that.

Not that all prefits are perfect. No system is perfect. Even the best smiths turn out a lemon despite all the do.

The odds of a bad shooting prefit seem pretty low IMO.
You are correct there’s more to most stories and all the part of the system have to be capable of good accuracy, including the shooter.

My friend with the bad barrel is an experienced shooter with other rifles that shoot very well, so he is capable. The rifle in question had action bedded, barrel free floated, trigger changed, scope swapped, action checked for poor ignition and straightness.

I‘ve had a poor shouldered Shilen barrel installed, so it’s not specific to prefit. I was into that barrel install over $600. One Shilen shot 1/2 moa the other was never better than 1-1/4 moa.

huntnful

WKR
Ha. I was actually being kind. Most custom rifles cost $5-6k, so there must be a lot of raping going on.

I’ve had 6 custom guns built. Gunsmiths just charge labor for each process, on top of the cost of the components.

Chamber & Muzzle threads
Bedding Action
Timing and tapering muzzle brake
Cerakote Action
Cerakote barrel
Timing trigger

It normally adds up to about $1200 +- which a lot of that is cerakote, which is just strictly for looks really.

There is no “raping”. You just get more from a gunsmith, so you pay more. Have them not bed the action, leave everything stainless and throw a self timing muzzle brake on it and you’ll save a lot of money if that’s the goal.

Just an action for my rifle was $2000, stock was $1000, trigger $300, barrel $600, brake $160, bottom metal and mags $400.

So I’m in well over $4000 before the smith even touches it. So of course my gun will be $5-6000.

Buy cheaper stuff and having a cheaper gun. But the smith costs are pretty clean cut. It’s just a money exchange for labor.

huntnful

WKR
Sorry to side track the thread OP. But my recommendation for simplicity sake is to buy an in stock #3 Bartlein from bugholes (southern precision rifles) and have them finish it at 20” and do the “prefit” if you desire. Or just ship them the action in the mean time and get the absolute best work possible 🤙🏼. Good luck with your new build! Sounds like it’ll be a great mountain gun!

TaperPin

WKR
There is something really cool the first time you install a barrel and it shoots well. If you are looking for anything less than moa, then I wouldn’t spend the money on a full custom either. If you’re going to install it, it’s also a lot of fun picking up a good deal on a slightly used barrel if it comes along. Guys are changing calibers a lot and some really good shooting barrels can be had for under $200.
Definitely let us know how it shoots when it’s all together.

Unckebob

WKR
You're not paying them any extra to tighten the barrel on. They can just do perfect work with the action in hand. And close to perfect work without. But definitely use a first class gunsmith if you're going that route.

Google search about Prefit disasters and you'll see that it isn't always a piece of cake if you go with the wrong smith.

That is why I went with pre-fits. I don't have a Dallas area smith that I know will do great work.

I have been very happy with my two prefits.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
If the prefit company makes a mistake, what makes you think they won't make it right?

I don't have to think I see these conversations happen weekly at UM

It's the blame game. You have three variables with the prefit barrel. The barrel, action, and the gun plumber.

This would be pretty close to top of my list along with the spr route others recommended

The pre-fit vs non-prefit isn't that complex of a decision if it saves a guy time and $ and they can get it from a smith they trust, pre-fit is great. If getting a prefit doesn't save you money or an amount of time that matters or if buying the tooling and taking the time to torque a barrel on at home offsets any time/$ saved by not shipping an action to a smith, theres not much benefit.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
The benefit of a prefit besides price is if you get a dud, you can just screw it off and put a new one on.

For those of us not fortunate enough to have a quality gunsmith nearby.

You can get a dud from smith as well. I have both.

The more I shoot the more I realize it’s not worth wasting your time on a bum barrel.

Sure there are more issues with prefits. It generally it’s pretty straight forward. It’s also nice having a hand full of barrels ready to go at home.

That is why I went with pre-fits. I don't have a Dallas area smith that I know will do great work.

I have been very happy with my two prefits.

What?

There are several good smiths in the DFW area. Todd @ Alamo Precision is one of the best around.

But there’s others. If you are interested, send me a PM.

After looking at this and talking to a lot of guys why not just buy a gun.
Overwhelming most said unless you just have extra money,love building guns etc than just buy something.
Now if that’s your jam that’s awesome as well.
I was going to build something off a Xlr and anti x but have decided to just modify my existing gun.I may have 2200 or so in it but i won’t be able to out shoot it.

OP
L

loadsandlattes

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, Fellas. Update since everything is on order. I am hoping to have it all in middle of next week and put together for range next weekend. Here was the final build list:

- HNT26 w/ folder and ARCA
- Impact NBK SA + Triggertech Diamond
- TS Customs 6.5PRC prefit cut carbon wrap and threaded at 20" (Travis is assembling the barreled action)
- NX8 2.5-20
- Spuhr 30mm rings

I went ahead and ordered a case of 147 ELDM. As long as it shoots, i'll use it for the break in and first year of hunting. Once it's all shot up I'll likely switch over to 156 EOL. We will see.