Mountain Truck setups

Heading out West for Mule Deer here in a week and will be out there until the end of season. The last time I was out was in 2021 and we hit snow covering a good layer of ice. Every time we stopped to put chains on, the truck would start to slide off the mountain.

What are y’all running for your mountain rig? What tires, size, tread and brand? What chains? Recovery boards, yes or no? What vehicle? Suspension lift? Tire offset? Winch, shovels, weighting down the back of the pickup, heavy duty chain or tow straps? Extra gas cans? Etc

This is for forest roads, not looking to take any jeep trails or I’d just haul a 4wheeler out with me. I’m really looking at gearing up just incase winter weather hits (SHTF) while deep in the mountains at high elevations.

Thanks!

TreeDog

FNG
I've had basically stock Tundra and Tacoma do everything I need them to do. Get a good set of 3 peak snow rated all terrain tires, preferably 10 ply. Chains, shovel, tow strap, jumper cables or jumper box are a must. Come along our hi-lift would be great. Emergency clothes and food that stay in the truck is always a good idea. Honestly, being smart and knowing when to call it because of road conditions/weather is the best option. Depending on what part of WV you're in, your truck should have everything you need already. Had a few instances when I lived there that made me nervous to be out without chains, extra clothes, etc.

I have a simple stock TRD. I use Goodyear studded Duratracs 235/85/16's in the winter. I carry a set of chains for the back. If the snow is ignorant, I'll switch to the CTD with chains all the way around. If I cant get around in a truck or utv fully chained, I shouldn't be there. You've got to know your limitations and when to throw the towel in.
I've said this a few times; I grew up hunting unit 26 in Idaho. My family had a lodge back there and there were quite few times we went to bed with it snowing and being woke up in the middle of the night with a " Get up, we've got to get out now"

OP
ForkieLivesMatter
I've had basically stock Tundra and Tacoma do everything I need them to do. Get a good set of 3 peak snow rated all terrain tires, preferably 10 ply. Chains, shovel, tow strap, jumper cables or jumper box are a must. Come along our hi-lift would be great. Emergency clothes and food that stay in the truck is always a good idea. Honestly, being smart and knowing when to call it because of road conditions/weather is the best option. Depending on what part of WV you're in, your truck should have everything you need already. Had a few instances when I lived there that made me nervous to be out without chains, extra clothes, etc.
I live in one of higher areas for snowfall in WV. Even in our national forest we don’t have long to find a paved road that’s maintained. And we don’t have many areas where if you slide off the road that you fall or roll several thousand feet! 4 wheel drive is a must here but you don’t need chains often if you’ve got 4wheel and snow clearance. Thank you for your response!

Dirtbag

WKR
Stock 2012 F-150 with Falken Wildpeaks. have a tow strap and chains but I rarely ever need them. You really dont need a fancy rig for mountain driving. I can go to 90% percent of the places anyone else does in a regular vehicle. In fact, most guys who have fancy expensive rigs are too scared to take them anywhere anyway. Colorado is full of perfect pickups with recovery boards, hi-lifts, gas cans, shovels, winches and so on. They are all suspiciously clean.

You dont need as much as you think

Seen alot of traction boards. Have yet to see any of them unbolted from the safari rack monstrosity that most folks seem to require these days.

I run around in a 1st gen tacoma with 1" lift and 33x12.5 mastercraft mxt's. I was much happier with 32x11.5's. Winter time I toss a crossbox in the truck, with a tirechains, a chainsaw, and a few straps, few cut up 2x6's, can of saw gas/firestarter, and a few tools.

Put a full size shovel in your truck. I have never understood why guys pack around those little 2' long shovels. I prefer square point shovels

Nothing fancy

Resized_20230408_125547.jpeg

I will add, that theres plenty of guys that work in the woods everyday, driving bone stock pickups.

Also the most capable rig out there is one you really dont care about........

Last edited:
I will add, that theres plenty of guys that work in the woods everyday, driving bone stock pickups.
Also the most capable rig out there is one you really dont care about........

I don’t work or live in the woods, but I’m a weekend warrior who frequents NFS and logging roads. My new bone stock truck goes everywhere my previous lifted and modified truck went. I could take this one even more places, but I still care about not trying to scratch or dent it.

tony

WKR
Hey another guy from WV!
What are you driving? I’ve been on our forest roads and agree with you. Except maybe Dolly Sods, that is kind of rugged.
Id say good recovery points if you have another truck you pull each other out.
Can’t hurt to carry some extra fuel.
One of those kinetic tow ropes maybe.

Mosby

WKR
I have a diesel Colorado ZR2 with front and rear locking differential. Falken Wildpeaks. I carry a shovel, saw, chains, jump box, small compressor, tow ropes and a Glock 20. I will also bring 2 spare tires on longer trips.