Mountain Truck setups

Eyeman

FNG
My mountain rig is a Taco.
Very mild lift and one tire size larger over stock. Just enough for a little more clearance for the rocks and stumps. Seems to do the trick well and still runs the hiway better in my opinion.
My Taco has a rear locker option which helps on some of the steep stuff.

Then a few tools like the other guys have mentioned. Most of them are insurance but when ya need one ya need one.
If snow isnt too deep or its muddy airing down is an option like stated before.

What he said. And you can air them down a lot more than most folks realize. I think a lot of the off-road crowd gets down to 10-12 in sand, don't they?
Air pressure needed really comes down to size and construction and weight of vehicle. Most 32ish inch pickup tires won't really start to do anything until 10-12psi. The more air volume a tire has an it the less air pressure it takes to get them to start to work on snow and sand. Pretty much any flotation sized tires will be well into the single digits.

As far as type of vehicle, for most uses, a pickup that can fit 4 chains will get through most all forest service type road snow/ice conditions.
And experienced can get you through a lot of situation, unfortunately/fortunately there is only one way to get that. I did plenty of shoveling and walking out of the woods in the dark, now I got some experience....

Pulled several guys out last year, one that would of had a very bad day had we not driven out that road. He had planned to walk out for help, (young family in the suv). About a half hour after we helped him, we had a snow storm like I have never seen in my life. Snowed so hard it was dark like night time, crawling along at a couple mph chained up on a road that I have driven hundreds of times, and not having any idea where we were the whole time.

taskswap

WKR
Anybody ever try these new airbag jacks? They seem a little gimmicky but they're also fast and not as heavy so I've wondered if they'd be worth switching to. I've always been a hi-lift fan but man, they're not light...

OP
ForkieLivesMatter
Thanks for all the responses! I went with falken r/t’s on my f250. I added a highlift Jack, an ion battery jumper, a mattic/pic, and an extra tow strap based on yalls recommendations. I already had a bottle Jack, 1 tow strap, a big and little shovel, and chains. Next year I’ll probably add a winch and a traction bar. We get snow here but not like what y’all can get and not that early in the fall. Again, very good information and thanks for the advice

OP
ForkieLivesMatter
They are useful now and then. Usually in sand, deep mud, or 2'+ snow with multiple layers that include a crust. Mostly they're just an accessory.
To the the OP, a true "mountain truck" isn't practical for one hunt per year. Quality A/T, R/T, or M/T, chains, and a shovel should be plenty

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
I hunt out West once a year, hoping to make it twice a year. That said, I hunt the Appalachians for deer, upland birds, and turkey. We can get a foot of snow but anything worse than that and I’m not hitting our forest roads. I don’t need anything crazy for hunting here but what I do to the truck for out there will only benefit my winter hunting back here. Thanks for your response, I went with r/t’s

Last edited:
OP
ForkieLivesMatter
Hey another guy from WV!
What are you driving? I’ve been on our forest roads and agree with you. Except maybe Dolly Sods, that is kind of rugged.
Id say good recovery points if you have another truck you pull each other out.
Can’t hurt to carry some extra fuel.
One of those kinetic tow ropes maybe.
Yessir, North Central WV. I’ve been to Dolly Sods but not in the winter. The other forest roads are decent but there’s a few I’ll be using the 4wheeler for and not the truck lol. I had 2 cans extra fuel last time, going the same this time. People from our area probably can’t fathom the idea of being a several hours drive from a gas station!

OP
ForkieLivesMatter
Do you have anywhere on your truck that you can actually use it? Also give those jacks some respect, they can mess you up
For sure, they can be pretty dangerous. I’d use it as an extra come along/hand winch hooking it to my front hooks or rear trailer hitch. I’d also use it in my hitch receiver to raise the rear to pack rocks under the tires for traction if I’m stuck. I’ve got a come along as well so I know it’s overkill. Next year I’ll have a steel front bumper and winch on the truck so if these are no longer useful I’ll use the come along as a back up and keep the Hi lift for my tractors.

taskswap

WKR
Do you have anywhere on your truck that you can actually use it?

Also give those jacks some respect, they can mess you up
Good points. If you get a hi-lift, spring for some of the accessories. There's an attachment with two hooks on short straps that can be used to jack up a wheel - not useful for changing the tire, but great if you're high-centered on snow or the edge of a ditch and need to get some blocks under to get some height. There's another you can hook onto a bumper or trailer hitch for lifting up the rear of almost anything. They;'re both super useful addons.

Stock Tacoma with the BF Goodrich T/A’s. I pretty much carry the same crap year around since I work in the woods and play in the woods about every day.

Chainsaw and dolmar with saw kit
2-5 gallons extra gas
2 sets of chains
Extra food with jet Boil
Medical Kit with basic trauma stuff (qualified EMR and never know when I’ll save a life or my own)
Katadyn water filter
Assortment of tape
Tools
Flares
Survival gear
Sleeping bag
Shovel
Pulaski
Come along
Tow chain
Ratchet straps
One of those dewalt air, jump start, battery packs with usb charger.
Some sort of gun

I had to walk about 20 miles one winter to the nearest logging operation. Made it just in time for the first load of the day to get a ride into town.