Mountain Whitetail Kill Kit

Hunting mountain country in the SE for whitetails is a relatively new gig for me. I'm going 1-3 miles in carrying all I need for the day and for the kill if I am lucky. What do you guys include in your kill kit? Primarily interested in some type of saw that is small and packable.

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
Same kit I carry out west. Some game bags, 550 cord, extra knife, and knife sharpener. Usually have a small roll of electrical tape or zip tie to attach the tag too.

Last edited:

IdahoBeav

WKR
You shouldn't need a saw for breaking down an animal. Everything can be done by cutting cartilage at joints. However, I carry a folding pruning saw (looks like a big pocket knife) for cutting tree branches when needed.

5x7 tarp
Roll of surveyor's tape
Roll of electrical tape
2 game bags each large enough to hold a front & rear ham
1 game bag for backstraps & neck meat
1 game bag for cape & head
3 knives
20' of parachute cord
Foam kneeling pad from lumber yard
Tripod cell phone adapter & Bluetooth shutter remote

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

TN2shot07

WKR
If you’re just looking from the saw perspective the silky pocket boy is as nice as I’ve used. Gerber makes a little t handle one that’s reasonably priced and works fine for a small job.

If you’re planning on quartering it’s not necessary but gutting and taking out whole I like to cut the pelvis to make pulling all that out easier.

jimmy33

WKR
I am in the northwest but I carry game bags and a havalon piranta for mountain whitetails. This seems to be a pretty light set up. I only take two large reusable bags with me. If you want a lightweight saw, i have a wyoming saw that i really like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SloppyJ

WKR
I keep a foldable limb saw in my pack for climbing new trees and I use the Havalon Piranta(?) With a normal blade and the long blade is a saw that I can use to get through ribs. If for some reason I have a problem with it, I'll use the limb saw.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting mountain country in the SE for whitetails is a relatively new gig for me. I'm going 1-3 miles in carrying all I need for the day and for the kill if I am lucky. What do you guys include in your kill kit? Primarily interested in some type of saw that is small and packable.

I've really paired my kit down over the last few years to what is needed. When I started out hunting away from roads, carrying game out on my back I was simply lugging too much crap that neve got used. I can see a guy wanting a saw if he really feels the need to cap the antlers, I don't bother. So this is all I carry now for a (kill kit) when deer hunting or bear hunting on foot well away from roads. For elk, I add 2 game bags.

- small pressure bandage, steri stips/steri swab, rubber gloves(just in case things go bad I can clean/dress a cut, glove up and finish the job).
- 2 synthetic game bags.
- 50' paracord.
- knife is a falkniven F1. My spare knife is my the blade on my leatherman multitool (never needed yet).

Last edited:

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
If you need a saw the silky saws are fantastic.

My kit includes game bags and a knife. I need to add a sharpener as by the time I get done I can tell sections of my blade are dulling. Otherwise there really isn’t much more one needs. All joints can be broken down with a knife.

Drenalin

WKR
If you're looking just to cut pelvic bones, the Sagen saw is good. I've also used a sawz-all blade with duct tape wrapped around the lower few inches to hold onto, which also works fine. Agree with other posters though, this isn't a necessity at all.

WCB

WKR
Saw wise a Gerber Vital Pack or Exo Mod saw work great used the a few times. I have cut up dozens and dozens of Elk, Deer, and Antelope with the Outdoor Edge wood/bone saw. I like the T handles for when your hands are full of blood. Pelvic bones and cutting ribs no issues.

Other than that I like a 3-4" fixed blade and a small carbide sharpener or stone. For just deer sharpener IMO is option as no reason you can't get through a whole deer boned out on one sharpening. For 99% of animals now the saw never sees the light of day just the one knife.

I also just use cheapo cheese cloth game bags and bring a contractor bag to throw them in to keep blood out of pack if using a pack I actually put the meat into. If the pack has a load shelf I don't worry about it.

So my basic kill kit is:
3-4" fix blade
carbide sharpener/stone (one or the other)
3 cheapo game bags
contractor bag (sometimes)

I always have cordage and electrical tape on me so not really in my "kill kit"

Kodiak06

FNG
I'd skip the saw, a solid knife will get the joints apart. The replaceable blade knives are cool but not strong enough IMO. I carry a TOPS camp creek knife and can clean 2 elk solo without sharpening.
*game bags
*Para-cord if I wanna hang meat
*Couple first aid items
*rubber gloves

Lowg08

WKR
I highly suggest the havalon evolve multi tool. Grab the bone blade and it works great. I use it allot.
- 3 game bags
- havalon evolve
- mora companion
- 2 pair 9mm rubber gloves
-extra blades and sharpener
- 550 cord
- flagging tape
- 15’ of mule tape.

I’m adding a piece of tyvek for ground clothe. I dang got the last one dirty and covered in leaves.

I'll be honest at a mile to mile and a half I'm probably carrying a stand and sticks. If I kill at that distance I'm going back to the truck dropping everything off. And going back in with a mini gambrel and a mini block. A knife and game bags. It takes a little more time and walking but your meat comes out cleaner and I feel like I do a better job butchering.

Longer than 1.5 I'm not carrying a stand and I'll carry it all with me

Lowg08

WKR
Oh I will add. I also carry a stand a a stick but using the stand to hang one makes it allot easier.

Randle

WKR
i made one of these saws for when they die in some nasty tangled brush patch
Works great