Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter questions

forestry

FNG
Seems like the Mountain Shelter LT is still a really good choice for a cheap lightweight floorless shelter. I'm curious how these tents do in the wind and with snow loading for those who have had experience with them.

Drenalin

WKR
Never had it in snow, but mine did great with wind. I couldn’t overcome the front entry, but it was a great shelter overall.

ljalberta

WKR
Mine has done fantastic in the wind. Only had one decent snow load. About 4” of heavy wet snow. It was fine. Sagged some as can be expected, but I just knocked it off and continued on.

Bighorner

WKR
Mine has done well in the wind. It is really a pretty sturdy shelter. For snow I put p-cord between the trekking poles to make a ridge line to help shed the snow. I think they are pretty hard to beat.

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
No complaints with mine in the wind. No experience with snow. Hard to beat for the price in my opinion. especially if you can find one used on here.

dtrkyman

WKR
First night I ever spent in mine was back country deer hunt, crazy thunderstorms all night, no issues at all, the wind wasn't really getting to me but it poured rain!

Had a bit of condensation issues in the summer fishing last year, area was a bit wet already and rained all night, condensation all over inside but it didn't drip on me over night, just was a problem when i woke up and started moving around.

I did sleep with my head in the foot area that night which may have made it worse?

No snow for me either, though I would think if pitched tight it should shed it?

Poser

WKR
I’ve had mine out when it snowed a good bit overnight and I didn’t even realize it had snowed until I unzipped the tent. Spent $70 on it 10 years ago and still use it from time to time.

I got through 6" of snow in MT in mine. No problems. Great shelter for the price. Takes a little getting used to setting up and I've since moved to a simple Nemo pentamid.

Mine has been bombproof for wind/rain. Never been in snow with it. As stated before, condensation is a thing with this and all plastic tents. Your ventilation needs to be closely watched -as with all other plastic tents available in the universe.