Mounting your own scopes what are you guys doing?

IDShane

WKR
Now that I am fully immersed into long range shooting and reloading I thought it might be time to mount my own scopes. I have always taken my guns places to get them mounted and have had some really painful experiences and thought it might be time just to do it myself. What are you guys doing for your installs? I am looking for tips and will purchase whatever needed to accomplish this. Thank you in advance..

Make sure rail tight.

Mount ring bases loosely and see if scope fits where you want it (fore to aft). Adjust bases and torque base to spec.

Put scope into bases. I spend considerable time making absolutely sure it’s level (no can’t) and far enough back to easily see in low power while standing and also prone on high power. Place top rings and torque to spec.

Put rifle on sand bags at range. Pull bolt and look down center of bore to center a 4 or 6 inch bulls eye in bore. Adjust scope to be on target. Keep looking back and forth between bore and scope. Just need it to be close.

Fire one clean shot. Should be on paper . Assuming it’s on paper adjust your scope.

Fire three rounds. Figure center of group. Literally use a ruler to figure adjustments. Make them. Fire a check group of 3.

Once zeroed, set zero stop. Set turrets to “”0”.

Fire one check round.

Torque everything with a good torque wrench. The $100 fix it sticks deal does everything you’ll need. Orange loctite on cap screws. Level bottom of turret housing to rail or action top if it’s flat with feeler gauges if not using a Spuhr. Level bubble level to the reticle trued up on a plumb bob. Done.

JGRaider

WKR
Get a torque wrench, and one of these Reticle-Tru scope mounting devices. They are foolproof.

It allows you to mount the reticle "true" to the rifle bore and not rely on bubble levels, which may or may not be accurate.

Make sure rail tight.

Mount ring bases loosely and see if scope fits where you want it (fore to aft). Adjust bases and torque base to spec.

Put scope into bases. I spend considerable time making absolutely sure it’s level (no can’t) and far enough back to easily see in low power while standing and also prone on high power. Place top rings and torque to spec.

Put rifle on sand bags at range. Pull bolt and look down center of bore to center a 4 or 6 inch bulls eye in bore. Adjust scope to be on target. Keep looking back and forth between bore and scope. Just need it to be close.

Fire one clean shot. Should be on paper . Assuming it’s on paper adjust your scope.

Fire three rounds. Figure center of group. Literally use a ruler to figure adjustments. Make them. Fire a check group of 3.

Once zeroed, set zero stop. Set turrets to “”0”.

Fire one check round.

This is literally exactly what I do except I have 2 more steps. The threads all get wiped down with alcohol and I use blue locktite.

Initial target I set at 25 yards to make sure on paper and initial adjustment

Short Action Customs makes a sweet leveling tool if you mount rings on a picatinny rail. It’s expensive, but I used a discount code somewhere to save a few dollars. In my mind it was a worthwhile, lifetime investment.

Level the base on your shooting bench or in a vice, level a target, then mount the scope to align with the target grid. It gets your scope reticle reliably level and after you test tracking on the target, removes any doubts about your scope being level. You could accomplish the same without the tool, but it might take a little bit longer.

wilkup

FNG
You can stay simple or go complicated.
I like LW Talleys w/pin option. I mount bases, set scope in to find correct eye relief and then level it. Once I’ve got that figured out I attach tops loosely and align reticle with string attached to plumb bob. From there I laser it in at 100 and adjust scope.