MR Guide Lite lower back hot spot

I'm currently training for my first mountain hunt, part of which entails throwing a 52lb kettlebell into my Guide Lite meat shelf and hoofing around a local ski hill for a few hours. I'm getting a bad hot spot right on my lower back where the pad touches. I'll admit the belt is pretty high on my hips, but it's definitely on my hips. I've had similar weight on there in the past but not that much and not for that amount of time.

I'm thinking it's due to 1 of 3 reasons:
1 - hip belt is too high
2 - the kettlebell is an odd shape that puts all the weight in that 1 spot
3 - the guide lite just doesn't work for my body type

What're your thoughts?

Apollo117

WKR
My guesses are the hip belt isn't tight enough or your shoulder straps are too tight, thus they are lifting the pack off of your lower back.

OP
Viktorsmash
My guesses are the hip belt isn't tight enough or your shoulder straps are too tight, thus they are lifting the pack off of your lower back.
Hip belt is super tight and the shoulder straps are actually loose enough that you can poke a finger through it (I know they're supposed to rest on top but it works just the same)

Apollo117

WKR
Hmm. What material is the lumbar pad made from? I had a pack where the lumbar pad was coated in a rubberized material and it caused hot spots. I don't have hot spots with mesh coated lumbar pads.

Young Blood

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a Pintler this past spring and has terrible lower back pain from all the pressure that the lumbar pad put directly on my spine while training with 80 pounds in the pack. I also couldn't get the pack to quit slipping under a heavy load. After several attempts at adjusting fit (with the help of MR customer service) I chalked it up to the frame not fitting me and sold it. I ended up buying an EXO K3 4800 and have had phenomenal results with zero of the issues I experienced with the guide lite under the same load and distance. My thought is the frame just may not fit your body type. At least that was the case with me. I needed a wider and thicker lumbar pad with some grippy material on it.

I'm currently training for my first mountain hunt, part of which entails throwing a 52lb kettlebell into my Guide Lite meat shelf and hoofing around a local ski hill for a few hours. I'm getting a bad hot spot right on my lower back where the pad touches. I'll admit the belt is pretty high on my hips, but it's definitely on my hips. I've had similar weight on there in the past but not that much and not for that amount of time.

I'm thinking it's due to 1 of 3 reasons:
1 - hip belt is too high
2 - the kettlebell is an odd shape that puts all the weight in that 1 spot
3 - the guide lite just doesn't work for my body type

What're your thoughts?

Why are you putting a kettlebell on the meat shelf to train?

I would suggest wrapping it in an old sleeping bag and put it i the pack bag after you cinch off the bottom 1/3 of the bag and see if that takes care of it. I suspect it will take the pressure off the pad. If it doesn’t then call MR customer service. They are very good about helping you adjust the pack to fit. If those two things don’t work then it may mean the pack doesn’t work for you.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Viktorsmash
I bought a Pintler this past spring and has terrible lower back pain from all the pressure that the lumbar pad put directly on my spine while training with 80 pounds in the pack. I also couldn't get the pack to quit slipping under a heavy load. After several attempts at adjusting fit (with the help of MR customer service) I chalked it up to the frame not fitting me and sold it. I ended up buying an EXO K3 4800 and have had phenomenal results with zero of the issues I experienced with the guide lite under the same load and distance. My thought is the frame just may not fit your body type. At least that was the case with me. I needed a wider and thicker lumbar pad with some grippy material on it.
Not exactly what I wanted to hear but I know this is a possibility. Fingers crossed it's not because I'm heading out in 18 days and not sure I want to start looking for a new pack altogether. Guess I'll give customer service a shot. Thanks.

OP
Viktorsmash
Why are you putting a kettlebell on the meat shelf to train?

I would suggest wrapping it in an old sleeping bag and put it i the pack bag after you cinch off the bottom 1/3 of the bag and see if that takes care of it. I suspect it will take the pressure off the pad. If it doesn’t then call MR customer service. They are very good about helping you adjust the pack to fit. If those two things don’t work then it may mean the pack doesn’t work for you.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's basically located exactly where the pad is, so that could be the problem.

I've been wrapping it in a towel but that's more so that the pack doesn't get scuffed up. I'll see what I have that can raise the load up a bit higher. My sleeping bags weren't cheap but maybe a ton of towels will do the trick.

I'm going to give MR CS a shout and see what they say.

Thanks!

It's basically located exactly where the pad is, so that could be the problem.

I've been wrapping it in a towel but that's more so that the pack doesn't get scuffed up. I'll see what I have that can raise the load up a bit higher. My sleeping bags weren't cheap but maybe a ton of towels will do the trick.

I'm going to give MR CS a shout and see what they say.

Thanks!

I used old sleeping bags from when my kids were small but you can do it with towels or blankets or even your hunting gear and just make sure that it is positioned higher than the pad and towards your back and so it doesn't break any equipment. Again Good luck but I think it will work out for you!