Lower back hurts

Wireman07

WKR
I haven't carried alot of weight in my pack for the last few years. I started training last week for Alaska hunt next year. I have a 60 lb bag of sakrete strapped on about as high up as I can strap it. I've done 4 miles in 4 days, and now my lower back is all jacked up. All the weight is off my shoulders like it should be and is transferring down to my hips. Everything is setup and adjusted accordingly. My lumbar pad is fairly soft, I'm curious if that's possibly the issue. Or maybe I just started off with a little too much weight. Anyone else have similar issues? TIA

A.hol1

Lil-Rokslider
Start with 20 lbs and do lots of hills and build from there. No point in messing up your back now and getting farther behind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
You jumped right into 60lbs after a significant layoff. That's the issue. Rehab your back before strapping the pack on again before you do any serious damage. Yoga is great for the back. Tons of stuff on YT.

OP
Wireman07

Wireman07

WKR
You have a year . lighten up, then build to your desired weight

Sent from my SM-G781V

You jumped right into 60lbs after a significant layoff. That's the issue. Rehab your back before strapping the pack on again before you do any serious damage. Yoga is great for the back. Tons of stuff on
Thanks guys. I think I did over do it. Getting old sucks. I will seriously look into some yoga to help with my back.

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
I would suggest getting stronger as well. Once you get healed up from your current tweak you might want to check out starting strength. I know I used to get a lot more low back tweaks before I put in some dedicated work to get stronger.
I also find that I prefer a decent bit of the load on my shoulders, not all of it but I have adjusted packs to the point where it was too much on my hips. I think some of that is personal preference.

Marble

WKR
Maybe I missed it, but is it a good pack?

And as much as I admire the grit, 60 lbs is too much. For me, just toting 30 pounds is enough to feel it the next day.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
I kinda did the same thing. A friend (spinal surgeon) called me hurtful names and told me to lighten up to start. Also pointed out the fact that core/ab work, separate from the weighted walks, would go a long way

sr80

WKR
might not have anything to do with the pack, likely just not being used to the weight, and your core wont be used to it and you could be over compensating with your back muscles. I would start lower and work up. Sometimes when i am rucking with weight on an up high trail and a good pace ill be leaning forward a bit and then will end up with a sore lower back from it.

OP
Wireman07

Wireman07

WKR
Maybe I missed it, but is it a good pack?

And as much as I admire the grit, 60 lbs is too much. For me, just toting 30 pounds is enough to feel it the next day.

It a kuiu with the newer suspension. Ya I think I just got alittle excited thinking about the hunt, and over did it. Rookie mistake!

OP
Wireman07

Wireman07

WKR
I kinda did the same thing. A friend (spinal surgeon) called me hurtful names and told me to lighten up to start. Also pointed out the fact that core/ab work, separate from the weighted walks, would go a long way
Thanks for the tip. I will have to strengthen my core area first I think, as I'm not as active as I used to be.

OP
Wireman07

Wireman07

WKR
might not have anything to do with the pack, likely just not being used to the weight, and your core wont be used to it and you could be over compensating with your back muscles. I would start lower and work up. Sometimes when i am rucking with weight on an up high trail and a good pace ill be leaning forward a bit and then will end up with a sore lower back from it.
That's maybe my issue then. I was walking inclined on the treadmill and I was hunched over pretty much the whole time. Thanks

Marble

WKR
It a kuiu with the newer suspension. Ya I think I just got alittle excited thinking about the hunt, and over did it. Rookie mistake!
We've all done it. IME, just daily walks with the 30ish pounds in the pack, builds some core muscles up and also let's you get to know how to adjust your pack and the load.

Something to try is to load all the weight up high in the pack, go for a walk, then move the weight to the bottom. You'll notice some things that can helpful in the field while packing meat. You'll be able to notice how the pack rides and make an adjustment to have it carry better.

For me, the best position is in the middle of the pack, slightly above halfway. But when packing quarters, or heads/hides, they can pack awkwardly.