MR Pop Up 28

For those of you who have used or own the Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28, have you been able to extend some hunts into weekend trips with this pack? I’d mostly be looking to hunt from Friday night til Sunday morning out of a light base camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short answer, I think it would work but, depending on how you pack but as I have said elsewhere in other threads, I think it is best used in daypack mode with the occasional need to haul.

Have done warm weather (non hunting) overnights with mine. 28 liters fills up fast. You can use the load shelf feature and add a camp bag to extend volume but then you have an issue with packing meat if you get lucky.

It is a great pack and frame idea but the pop up isn't a replacement for a full size frame and bigger bag, if you are going to be hauling big loads with it a lot. The frame works but it isn't as stable as a full size frame. Shoulder straps, waist belt are also scaled down too. They work but I just wouldn't want to make a habit fo using it for big loads. If you want something with the same capacity to serve as a hauler more often I would look at a mule or a pintler.

OP
M
Short answer, I think it would work but, depending on how you pack but as I have said elsewhere in other threads, I think it is best used in daypack mode with the occasional need to haul.

Have done warm weather (non hunting) overnights with mine. 28 liters fills up fast. You can use the load shelf feature and add a camp bag to extend volume but then you have an issue with packing meat if you get lucky.

It is a great pack and frame idea but the pop up isn't a replacement for a full size frame and bigger bag, if you are going to be hauling big loads with it a lot. The frame works but it isn't as stable as a full size frame. Shoulder straps, waist belt are also scaled down too. They work but I just wouldn't want to make a habit fo using it for big loads. If you want something with the same capacity to serve as a hauler more often I would look at a mule or a pintler.

Ok, confirmed my assumption. I think I might look towards the Pintler or even Sawtooth 45

I’ve slept out a few times with the popup 28- but never left the Jeep with that intention- just open to the possibility. If my intent is to sleep away from the Jeep I’m in the pintler- or an older nice bag that’s compatible with the guidliht and is 5500 depending on time I’m out for. Now that I’m in the lower 48 the pintler the longbow or the popup do 99% of my hunting and he bigger bag is used for fishing trips and the bigger packing list they involve

Last edited:
How is the pop up 28 as a day pack? I’m trying to justify spending the money. Trying to buy once, cry once route

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry to hijack the thread, but after making contact with MR customer service a few weeks ago, apparently they are bringing out a Pop up 38 next year.

Do the current Pop Up owners think a Pop up 38 would be viable for a weekend trip with possible load carry scenario? Would the additional 10L get it across the line for short 2 day, 3 night trips?

38L sounds suspiciously close to Pintler/Longbow size capacity, I think the Pintler is around 41L but 38 sounds better considering the current 18 and 28 Pop up models.

Any thoughts??

OP
M
Sorry to hijack the thread, but after making contact with MR customer service a few weeks ago, apparently they are bringing out a Pop up 38 next year.

Do the current Pop Up owners think a Pop up 38 would be viable for a weekend trip with possible load carry scenario? Would the additional 10L get it across the line for short 2 day, 3 night trips?

38L sounds suspiciously close to Pintler/Longbow size capacity, I think the Pintler is around 41L but 38 sounds better considering the current 18 and 28 Pop up models.

Any thoughts??

I think you could squeeze a weekend trip in the 28, I’m surprised they would do a 38 given that packs on the GL and GL Mt frame fit that size

A bit more room would be welcome. I can fill 28 liters fast with just cold weather day hunting gear. How much you can get out of 38 liters depends a lot on how you pack.

A light night or two is fine. Ultralight 3+ days is doable. If I had full size winter gear I couldn’t make it work. Too small. Keep in mind that I am a bigger guy so xxl clothes and large or long sleeping gear. Your results may vary.

As I said above, it is a cool pack but IMO doesn’t replace a full size frame for hauling. Bag size addresses part of the issue but ultimately it isn’t going to be as comfy as a full size frame under the same load overtime.

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
What really appeals about the pop up frame is the low profile nature of the frame, if they made the GL frame the same dimmensions as the NICE frame with the load lifters being OPTIONAL then I'd just go with that, it's the way that the GL has the middle bit of the frame being taller that i dont like, especially since 95% of hunting time carrying minimal weight it isn't necessarily.