MR Selway or EXO 3200

I’m in the market for a pack that is mainly going to be used as a day pack (possible overnight)with meat hauling capability for archery elk and rifle deer in the PNW but may do a couple of 2 to 3 day hunts in the next few years. I’m kind of leaning to the EXO right now but can get the MR Selway for roughly half the price with the sales going on. Should I just pony up for the EXO or would the Selway be the better option for the price. I need some advice from people with hopefully experience with both. Thanks in advance. BTW I’m 6’0 210 with a 36” waist if that helps.

Jimss

WKR
If it were me I'd invest in a Kifaru or Stone Glacier large volume pack and frame. A Kifaru likely doesn't weigh much more than a day pack. You can cinch them down tight when not using the full pack area. It's also possible to customize a Kifaru with lid, accessories, and bags for your particular preference. Your back and shoulders will get a workout with 20 to 40 lb loads all day long while glassing and covering steep, rough terrain. with a daypack. I hardly even notice my pack is on my back with the same load in a Kifaru framed pack. If I get a muley buck 5 miles from the truck I can bone and pack the entire thing out the original trip by myself. Your body will thank you for the investment!

If you are pinched for $ there are always almost new Kifaru's found in the classified section, ebay, etc. If you don't trust what I've said....buy a used one and try it out. If you don't like it (which I doubt) sell it for the same price you bought it....they hold their value very well!

Last edited:

rslscobra

FNG
I'm pretty much your build except 5'11" and the EXO 3200 is an awesome pack. I was able to fit 8 days in this pack for an elk hunt. Great pack you wont be disappointed if you choose it over the MR. I can't comment on the MR tho, I haven't used one.

HaydenB

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got the Exo 1800 with the guide lid. It’s about 2200 ci and works great for a day pack and even a 1-2 night pack

I purchased the MR selway about a year ago. I over all like the pack but i realized I need more space and a bigger bag so I will be trying something else out. Probably my favorite feature is the y zip very quick/easy access to the main compartment.

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
I have an Exo 3200 and one of my closest hunting friends has a MR Selway. Having personally compared the 2, I much prefer the Exo because of the side sleeves, how the bag is accessed, and larger lumbar pad. The lid on the Exo is also an awesome feature/accessory. For day packing purposes, I got an 1800 and it’s pretty bad to the bone.

Both great options. I prefer the EXO, just because they fit me so well, and are very comfortable. The MR is great too, also a very nice pack, tough as nails, and do well under heavy weight.

can’t really go wrong. Pack fit is personal, but I think the EXO is more refined and thought out, the MR is a work horse.

get the one you really want, if you are questioning it, take money out of the equation... if you don’t get the one you want now, you will later, and it will end up costing you some money selling and upgrading.

having used both, I would get the EXO, but that’s me, not because it’s necessarily a better pack, it’s just more comfortable to me, and a pack is something I spend a lot of time in, so it’s not a place to compromise.

to me, packs are like optics, get what you really want or waste a bunch of money in the “upgrading process “

CO-AJ

WKR
I can't speak to the MR, but I just purchased my Exo and it is top notch. As mentioned above I really like the tall side pockets, adjustability of the frame, main compartment zipper, and simplicity of the main compartment...just one big compartment not a bunch of pockets and sleeves.