Mt antelope drawing results 2023

TrueAt1stLight

Lil-Rokslider
I drew a goose egg. Nada. Nothing. Bummer! If any of you have a spare buck tag you’re not going to use, please PM me the details. I’ll gladly pay market rate plus 10%. 🤣

Scottf270

WKR
Nephew and I drew 700 with only 2 points. Took 4 points when we drew in 2021. Also drew a deer combo with 1 point this year after drawing last year. I'm already making other plans for next year. No way our luck holds for next year unless everyone quits applying.

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
Drew buck and doe tags. Never hunted antelope before and pretty stoked. Will check with the bios before deciding if I'll try to use that doe tag (unit starts with a 5 if anyone has heard health info).

Erict

WKR
4 Bonus Points got me enough chances in the draw to finally get a 700-20 tag.

There is no reason, in 2023, that MT FWP cannot set a hard date for this draw - "August 1" or "first Monday in August". Instead, they waste time taking likely hundreds of phone calls of people asking "when is the draw?". Their "drawing will be held in Early August" doesn't cut it for me.

hunterjmj

WKR

There is no reason, in 2023, that MT FWP cannot set a hard date for this draw - "August 1" or "first Monday in August". Instead, they waste time taking likely hundreds of phone calls of people asking "when is the draw?". Their "drawing will be held in Early August" doesn't cut it for me.
That's how all Montana draws are. Just the way it is. 🤷‍♂️

Axlrod

WKR

Why would anyone call? It says early August don't call until AFTER early August.
They waste time? They work for the government- they have plenty of time.
Gotta be plenty of states that will do an Antelope draw more to your liking. 🤣

Axlrod

WKR
Col. Nathen Jessup from A Few Good Men working the phones at MT FWP:

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it.
I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand the post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think you're entitled to!

Mt Al

WKR
Success!!

Since I drew, it's important for me to tell everyone that there are no antelope in Montana, they all died last winter, only a few half starved does left. That's all. I'll go out and kick a few cow turds to say I went. My advice? Stay home, save your money and time until I don't draw.

Erict

WKR
FYI only. Those drawing a MT antelope buck tag may get an e-mail offer like the one below to purchase an antelope doe/fawn tag. For $19 resident / $200 NR, it's no surprise that 90% of the does are taken by residents. Hopefully everyone considers the current populations when deciding on a doe/fawn tag.

The process happens quickly, so if/when you finally draw a buck tag, be prepared:
8/11 - email offer from FWP received, stating tags on sale 8/14.
8/13 - (a day early) and the option to buy on FWP website was not there.
8/14 - (8 AM EST), the options were 799-20 and Region 3. (799-20 only valid in HD 704/705. Region 3 you had to choose one of seven HDs).
8/15 - (10 AM EST), the 799-20 option was gone (I assume sold out). Most Region 3 HDs were available.

Still not sure why their system lets me get to the payment page for an R3 doe/fawn tag when my buck tag is not for that area.

Dear Hunter,

Our records indicate that one or more persons using this email address were successful in drawing an antelope license in one of the following districts:

317-20338-20
339-20340-20
350-20370-20
388-20007-20
007-30 (Antelope B License)

You will have the opportunity to try and purchase (1) additional doe/fawn antelope b license for the same hunting district where you were successful in the drawing. This opportunity is only valid for those who were successful in drawing one of the licenses listed above.

These licenses will be sold first come first serve starting August 14. They are available over the counter from any license provider, or online at fwp.mt.gov.

Buy doe tag + throw doe tag in the trash = straight shot to heaven
Doesn't it make management harder If your hunter effort on a tag varies wildly from year to year? This year no one shoots does so they issue more doe tags next and then all of those tags get filed, etc? I guess it's more money for FWP if they sell more tags to people who don't want to use 'em..

I don't think they are issuing many doe tags and not to mention those region 7 tags are to try to concentrate hunters in the units with the strongest pronghorn populations, 704 and 705.

j_volt

WKR
Doesn't it make management harder If your hunter effort on a tag varies wildly from year to year? This year no one shoots does so they issue more doe tags next and then all of those tags get filed, etc? I guess it's more money for FWP if they sell more tags to people who don't want to use 'em..

I don't think they are issuing many doe tags and not to mention those region 7 tags are to try to concentrate hunters in the units with the strongest pronghorn populations, 704 and 705.
Yes, shoot all the does so they don't issue more tags. Great idea.

Yes, shoot all the does so they don't issue more tags. Great idea.
Is that what I said? ALL the does... how about at most 5-10% of the does. Shoot what you want if it's legal. Pronghorn should be doing at least OK in montana, maybe not the recent record highs we have seen the past couple years but certainly alright. We will see the survey data in September. I've got a doe tag and my either-sex tag and unless I see way less antelope than the past 2 years, I'll be using both.

Buying tags to not use them and acting as if you're saving something when their populations can handle hunting... sounds like Jane Goodall.

j_volt

WKR
Is that what I said? ALL the does... how about at most 5-10% of the does. Shoot what you want if it's legal. Pronghorn should be doing at least OK in montana, maybe not the recent record highs we have seen the past couple years but certainly alright. We will see the survey data in September. I've got a doe tag and my either-sex tag and unless I see way less antelope than the past 2 years, I'll be using both.

Buying tags to not use them and acting as if you're saving something when their populations can handle hunting... sounds like Jane Goodall.
It still stands that it's a fast pass to heaven if throw your doe tag in the trash

hunterjmj

WKR

My wife and I got the doe tags and hope to use them. I drive by tons of antelope everyday and from the looks of it they aren't hurting. I obviously didn't counts and I'm not a biologist but the antelope around my place are doing good.
If you don't want to shoot one then don't. Also, good luck getting into heaven because you didn't shoot an antelope.