MTN OPS Slumber

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Last year at Expo, I mentioned to Casey Harbertson that my 15-yr old daughter was having a hard time sleeping, both falling asleep and staying asleep. She’s got a busy mind (like the ol’ man). It gotten bad enough that Jodi had taken her to the doc and she ended up having to use Tylenol PM. I was looking for something more natural.

Casey said to try the Slumber.
https://mtnops.com/product/slumber/
It’s marketed as Deep Sleep Recovery/Calming Anti-Anxiety Relief. He comped me an 11.4 oz bag of the Sleepy Chai flavor to try
c45a8b17bdc5ae1aadc0654b756a0359.jpg

It’s a powder you mix with 8-10 oz warm water or milk (also available in the Cider, and Cocoa.)
No sugar and 49-57 calories a serving. I won’t get into the ingredients because frankly I don’t know squat about them. I just trust Casey enough to give them a try.
39cf9284843fae4cda5b7b7772410662.jpg

We had my oldest daughter try it but we couldn’t say definitely that it worked for her and she eventually quit with half the bag left so Jodi and I tried it, and our 12-yr old daughter. None of us have any serious problems sleeping like my oldest daughter.

For me, it worked about 80% (non-scientific number) or most nights I took it. Per the instructions I’d take it about 30-60 min before bed. I could slowly feel the “calming” effect come on. It didn’t make me drowsy or cause me to nod off, just calm down. Falling asleep was easier.

Then as I said above, most of the nights it seemed that I slept better—less waking up during the night. And no grogginess when I wake up in morning. On the nights it didn’t work, I don’t really know why. Just never really got calm and didn’t notice sleeping any better. This isn’t a clinical trial, so I really can’t offer any more than my experience. Id guess I’ve got about 25 nights experience.

One draw back is that drinking 8-10 oz water before bed isn’t always productive as over half the nights I had to get up and take a leak, something I don’t often have to do. But was able to fall back asleep. So what I’ve started doing is going more for the 4-6 oz range. Makes it thick but I don’t have to get up as much to pee.

Once the bag was gone, we had enough experience that we ordered three more bags, one of each flavor. Casey comped me for those too.
14a5634d65f0587582f34762859a61bb.jpg

I found I like the Chai most and then Cider, but not the Cocoa very much.

They all mix fairly well in warm water, (use a fork, expect a small clump or 2, use a shaker bottle for best results)not so much in cold. I never tried it with milk.
a77a0ac693ea70c30185c15d6b4144a8.jpg

For Jodi, she says her results were like mine, but way more consistent. Every time she’s used it (about 6 nights now) it’s worked. Fall asleep faster and stay asleep. The 8-10 ozs doesn’t bother her. She has a better bladder than me . She’s likes the Cocoa better than I do (but it “should be sweeter”) and likes the Chai most then the Cocoa, and then Cider.

Then my 12-yr old daughter who tends to have a little bit of difficulty getting to sleep tried it. She’s taken it about 5 nights and says “it works!” Goes to sleep earlier and she says she’s less tired the next day. She says her flavor likes are in this order 1-Chai, 2- Cider, 3-Cocoa

So that has been our experiences, 3 out of 4 think it works. The one with serious sleeping issues is the one it didn’t work for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I don't suppose you'd want to snap a photo of the ingredients...

Sure thing man. Can’t believe I forgot that! What a dope.
a08d767eacff8432392ef053102ae42a.jpg
b60563de59d467801dd0f0180722cbe4.jpg

This was on the Chai. Can you see it?

Neverenoughhntn

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll with you Robby. I’ve been on it for the last 8 months or so and my experience has been the same as yours. I definitely sleep better through the night and wake up feeling much more refreshed. (Maybe it’s just placebo, but it works for me) I operate on about 5 hours of sleep, so peeing hasn’t been a problem for me. I definitely prefer the chia over the cocoa. For whatever reason, my wife can’t force herself to drink a whole serving of either flavor.... anyways, I like it enough I’d take the weight penalty and throw it in my backpack if they offered single servings.

- the hot ignite in mocha is another staple of mine that I wish they’d make in a single serving.

Grizz

FNG
This stuff is great. I usually throw in a scoop of chocolate powder for the chai and it's even better.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I picked up one of the first bags that they came out with. I don’t use it a lot, but I’ve felt that it’s worked every night that I took it at home. Fell asleep quicker than normal and woke up feeling ready to go instead of groggy.

I did take a few servings on the mountain with me this year and didn’t seem to do much for me. I’m thinking I was too alert, being on the mountain by myself, that it didn’t take much affect. I usually also mix with hot water, haven’t tried milk yet. I wish it mixed easier, but may be the nature of what’s in it.

Snowey79

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using Natural calm. It's a natural magnesium supplement. It has been working well for me. I may give the mountain ops a try.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

i got one of the first bags of slumber too. When I opened it I could smell the anise and I am not a fan of it. It also seemed as it didn't work or may it was I could taste the anise.

This thread got me to try it again but this time with milk. to me it has a whole different taste with the milk and I like it a lot better, chocolate milk is even better. It has a very creamy feel to it. I also found a way to get rid of the chunks. If you partially heat the milk and mix it in and the chunks form, but when you put it back in the microwave to finish heating the chunks burst open to expose dry powder which can then be mixed in and wallah no chunks.

On some nights it doesn't seem to work, those night happen to coincide with very intense workouts. I workout at night between 6 to 8 then bed around 10. So what you do before you drink it, may have an effect on how well it works.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
i got one of the first bags of slumber too. When I opened it I could smell the anise and I am not a fan of it. It also seemed as it didn't work or may it was I could taste the anise.

This thread got me to try it again but this time with milk. to me it has a whole different taste with the milk and I like it a lot better, chocolate milk is even better. It has a very creamy feel to it. I also found a way to get rid of the chunks. If you partially heat the milk and mix it in and the chunks form, but when you put it back in the microwave to finish heating the chunks burst open to expose dry powder which can then be mixed in and wallah no chunks.

On some nights it doesn't seem to work, those night happen to coincide with very intense workouts. I workout at night between 6 to 8 then bed around 10. So what you do before you drink it, may have an effect on how well it works.
Tim, thanks for chiming in and you're right. I didn't like the cocoa much as I said above, but when I tried it with milk at my wife's suggestion, BAM, it was pretty good and I can handle it now. As you said, makes a difference.

Search Dr. Parsley's Sleep Remedy. He was a Navy Seal Doctor. As a shift worker this stuff works. Do a You Tube search on Dr. Parsley . Interesting research and information on sleep. This is the only thing that has worked for me. I wanted to avoid any prescription medicine. Dr Parsley also explains why prescription sleep aides are not a good alternative.

Search Dr. Parsley's Sleep Remedy. He was a Navy Seal Doctor. As a shift worker this stuff works. Do a You Tube search on Dr. Parsley . Interesting research and information on sleep. This is the only thing that has worked for me. I wanted to avoid any prescription medicine. Dr Parsley also explains why prescription sleep aides are not a good alternative.

HiRidge

FNG
I've never tried it myself but it probably works well because it has Melatonin in it. I used to have trouble going to sleep as well. My wife bought me a bottle of melatonin capsules from Walmart and Bam....no more problems going to sleep or staying asleep. Your body naturally produces it but I apparently wasn't making enough. I used it for about 3 weeks straight then stopped without any negatives. Haven't used it in several months and haven't had any trouble sleeping either.

rkeaton

FNG
Resurrecting this thread, this stuff is great. Sleepy Chai tastes amazing, and I thought I hated Chai tea...

I emailed their Customer Service department to ask about the specific Melatonin content since I didn't want to damage or inhibit my body's natural melatonin production by using it nightly or frequently. Only has 3mg of melatonin per serving which according to most is pretty minimal.

Anybody try the Cider one yet?

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
I'm pretty happy with the taste of the cider though it's pretty sweet. I've just been mixing it with hot water.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Resurrecting this thread, this stuff is great. Sleepy Chai tastes amazing, and I thought I hated Chai tea...

I emailed their Customer Service department to ask about the specific Melatonin content since I didn't want to damage or inhibit my body's natural melatonin production by using it nightly or frequently. Only has 3mg of melatonin per serving which according to most is pretty minimal.

Anybody try the Cider one yet?
Cider is my #2 flavor.

lak2004

WKR
I have been using Natural calm. It's a natural magnesium supplement. It has been working well for me. I may give the mountain ops a try.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I use this as well, especially the sleep formula and it works great. I don't drink it nightly, just times when I think I won't be able to sleep quickly.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk