MTNTOUGH On-Ramp Program

ryan_watson

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Cheers. I'm still running in a caloric deficit and am aiming for the low 70kg/155 lb range. I'm only 175cm/5"9'. I just find strictly training for hypertrophy with alot of isolation movement to not help me much in my back country performance. Idea behind implementing the strong lifts was to keep power to weight ratio higher.

Are you taking about the the preseason prep 2.0 by any chance?
Yes sir! Pre Season 2.0 is going to be pretty amazing.

ryan_watson

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Keen to see the changes. What the main reason behind the new pre season if you don't mind me asking? Is it just a completely new and improved version of the original or modified due to feedback and learnings?

Antonio
Hey Antonio, here's the launch video which goes over the program in at a high level.
. Here's the program detail page: https://mtntough.com/pages/backcountry-hunter-preseason-prep
So the reason why we release new versions of programs is we are always trying to improve performance. We learn new things constantly by testing our programming in the lab here in bozeman then take those learnings into updated and/or new program.

Hey Antonio, here's the launch video which goes over the program in at a high level.
. Here's the program detail page: https://mtntough.com/pages/backcountry-hunter-preseason-prep
So the reason why we release new versions of programs is we are always trying to improve performance. We learn new things constantly by testing our programming in the lab here in bozeman then take those learnings into updated and/or new program.
Awesome, cheers for that. Cant wait to give it a go.

Antonio.

madgrad02

WKR
Finished up the MG On-Ramp last week and kicked off this week with one of the MGD programs. 🥵

Over the weekend, fishing opened here in Wisconsin, so before taking the kids out to catch some fish over at my parents, I snuck out and walked/ran a small sledding hill that has a lookout tower at the top. Was sucking wind after 12 or so times - first time I've ever done any inclined workouts like that. Baby steps, and likely would get smoked by anyone in actual shape, but everyone has to start somewhere (at least that is what I keep telling myself! ;)). Rucking a few times a week, karate class 2x with the kids, MTNTough Mon-Fri, add in some hill climbs, and still need to work on the diet - hard when I have to get the kids snacks all day long and not cheat!

ryan_watson

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
These might help with the snack urges. I get them in the evenings especially, that damn Nutella... A quick protein shake really dampens the desire to snack for me.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
After pulling my back I let it rest a week. Started the minimal gear ramp up last week, feeling pretty good. Like the ramp up schedule of working out every other day but keeping it isn't in my future. Not sure what I'll move on to-- fundamentals or just push all in and hit the pre season 2.0

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

ryan_watson

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
After pulling my back I let it rest a week. Started the minimal gear ramp up last week, feeling pretty good. Like the ramp up schedule of working out every other day but keeping it isn't in my future. Not sure what I'll move on to-- fundamentals or just push all in and hit the pre season 2.0

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
If you have access to a full gym Pre-season 2.0 is what I'd recommend. If you're liking the fully coached minimal gear series or at home. I'd highly recommend starting the minimal gear daily workouts. It's a new workout every day and it also will follow a logical progression getting you ready for the hunting season. Here's some detailed info:

In the app just tap on the "new every day" video labeled MGD and get moving :)

Folks absolutely love the MGDs

madgrad02

WKR
May as well add in stairs over my lunch break... 3 floors, 20 times down and up (1140 stairs in total)... can definitely say that is the most stairs I have ever climbed in one attempt... see if I can add that to the repertoire a few times a week as well... got invited with folks for my first elk hunt, so the last thing I want to do is be the anchor of the group! Appreciate the support and extra motivation!

madgrad02

WKR
Got through the first week (Mon-Fri) of the daily MGDs... humbling the number of reps and such they are all achieving compared to me, but getting better. Got 3 chances this week to do stairs over lunch (the same 20 flights up 3 floors, 1140 steps each session). May not be the fastest, but have always joked I am a power turtle... will get there eventually!

ryan_watson

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Got through the first week (Mon-Fri) of the daily MGDs... humbling the number of reps and such they are all achieving compared to me, but getting better. Got 3 chances this week to do stairs over lunch (the same 20 flights up 3 floors, 1140 steps each session). May not be the fastest, but have always joked I am a power turtle... will get there eventually!
Slow and steady always wins the race!! Keep it up #powerturtle

madgrad02

WKR
Few weeks into the daily MGD programs and still sticking with it... been attempting to get stairs in over lunch a few times a week (42 floors total up and down each day), though think I over did it a bit last week doing that Mon-Wed... left knee was quite sore up until last night at karate practice... not sure what happened there, started sore during warmups/stretching and (knocking on wood) has been fine since, so will attempt to resume some stairs here. Need to get rucking more, but funny how life gets in the way when I get home at night. At least I am still up at 330am to get a good workout in before work - seemingly the only time I am "free" with a 4 and soon-to-be 6yr old.

ryan_watson

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Few weeks into the daily MGD programs and still sticking with it... been attempting to get stairs in over lunch a few times a week (42 floors total up and down each day), though think I over did it a bit last week doing that Mon-Wed... left knee was quite sore up until last night at karate practice... not sure what happened there, started sore during warmups/stretching and (knocking on wood) has been fine since, so will attempt to resume some stairs here. Need to get rucking more, but funny how life gets in the way when I get home at night. At least I am still up at 330am to get a good workout in before work - seemingly the only time I am "free" with a 4 and soon-to-be 6yr old.
Life makes consistent working out difficult. Good on you for getting up so early and sticking with it. Discipline and consistency is the key.

madgrad02

WKR
Finished up Wk2 of the "leg month" this AM... still getting up and getting in the MGD programs daily Mon-Fri and hitting the stairs at work (42 floors) Mon/Wed/Fri, with a few karate classes mixed in each week. Went from having to walk up the stairs with a quick water break every 14 or so floors to being able to jog up the whole way without a break. Definitely not an elite athlete by any means, but down 30 or so lbs since starting my MTNTough venture

Cmb8316

FNG
I used on ramp when I was rehabbing an IT band injury while training for a half marathon. It’s a good all around program, but I wasn’t taking rest days in the middle just kept doing one each day as a warmup. I don’t have access to a gym that is close enough to be a reliable option, so I was going to start heading towards the MGD workouts to advance off of the on ramp program.
That said…. The fundamentals of on ramp are solid, and you absolutely cannot get “too good” at those movements where they stop being effective.

I know it’s an older thead but figured I’d bump it back up. I just finished the on-ramp and really liked it. I’ve got a real good sweat going after each workout!

Just curious what program you guys went to after completing the on-ramp? I think I’m gonna do the MVMT program cause I can definitely feel I need better mobility!

IDShane

WKR
I just started foundation after the on ramp. I did the on ramp for awhile as I was waiting on the purchase of gear. I jumped to 30/30 and that was too much for this 50 year old. I hit up MTN Tough and they suggested foundation and that is going ok so far.

I just started foundation after the on ramp. I did the on ramp for awhile as I was waiting on the purchase of gear. I jumped to 30/30 and that was too much for this 50 year old. I hit up MTN Tough and they suggested foundation and that is going ok so far.
Thanks I’ll check that one out!

I know it’s an older thead but figured I’d bump it back up. I just finished the on-ramp and really liked it. I’ve got a real good sweat going after each workout!

Just curious what program you guys went to after completing the on-ramp? I think I’m gonna do the MVMT program cause I can definitely feel I need better mobility!

Finished the bodyweight on-ramp and started the minimal gear on-ramp next.. planning on doing the minimal gear foundations next. Not sure what program I'll do after that - maybe just start doing their MGD workouts.

Not sure how you guys feel about it, but I tend to prefer the coached workouts rather than self-guided.

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
Alright so I finished Bodyweight On Ramp last week, was going to jump into the 30-30 2.0 but first day called for pull ups and A.) I dont have a pull up bar B.) I am too heavy for pull ups. Is there a work around for these? Like putting some weight on a step up box while doing the pull ups once I get a bar? What bar do people suggest, or do I just jump to a squat rack that has one built in?

For the mean time I started Min Gear On Ramp which said step up box and dumbbells which I do have. And the Go Wild challenge for days in between. I do like all the options of programs you guys have!