Mule deer in October

Hey guys I am planning my first trip to Central Idaho this October in hopes of catching up to some mule deer. I have some areas in mind from online scouting and talking to some people that know the area better than me. The areas that I have been focusing on look like low traffic or hard to get to areas to limit the pressure but I still have some questions. In an area that gets as high as 11,000 ft, how high will you find deer in mid to late October? I am aware that it varies with weather but in a typical year can you find deer as up high in late October in this area? Thanks for any input guys, I am jacked to give this a go this year!

jenstapio

FNG
Hey man, I have spent quite a few years hunting central Idaho. 11000 feet is pretty high but it all depends on the terrain for the specific area you will be hunting most of my hunting has been around 7000-8000 feet. I have found that if the weather is nice the bucks will hang out up high but usually only if they have sufficient cover. Once the last week in October rolls around if there is any weather that moves in usually the bucks slowly start to make there way down. No matter your elevation remember that the bucks will always rely on food and cover. Hope this helps! Best of luck.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
In late October we focus on 5000 to 6000 ft elevation. Find the does, you'll find the bucks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Plan on high to mid elevation just about no matter what. The deer usually aren’t in mountain goat country in the rocks but they can be. 11,000 will surely be rocky in Idaho.

Feel free to PM to discuss your plan in more detail. I enjoy helping guys.