Mule deer On Alfalfa

poisonarrow

Lil-Rokslider
i have friends in Wy that farm. They have big muleys in their hay this time of the year.

I can get an OTC tag to hunt them. They say they hang around until early fall. When do mule deer go from the summer to fall pattern? The season starts the first of Sept. Do you think they will still be there.

Hardstalk

WKR
Should be there. I've noticed that alfalfa deer are pretty easy to pattern. Find the beaten down dirt path heading into the field. Probably in a low spot or drainage. Possibly along a treeline that leads to the field fencing. They like cover until they get in the field.

OP
poisonarrow

poisonarrow

Lil-Rokslider
The fields border BLM land. It is sage brush right to the border of the field. It looks like they go into the sage brush to bed, which is public land and then come into the alfalfa to feed.

ssliger

WKR
When you say OTC, do you mean there are leftover tags for the area? Wyoming doesn't issue OTC tags for non residents. Just leftovers

OP
poisonarrow

poisonarrow

Lil-Rokslider
I called them again and you are right. There are no OTC tags. In the area I want to hunt there are always tags leftover. That is what threw me. The lady in the office was so confident of me getting a tag I thought it was OTC. Leftover tags go on sale July 10th. I will be online July 10th buying the tag when they open.

Topgun 30-06

Banned
There are generally only three Regions that have leftover deer buck tags. Which Region are you talking about? M & Y are two up in northcentral WY that I know of and I can't remember the one down in the southern part of the state. Just remember that if you get a tag and plan to bow hunt in an early season that you'll need to buy the $30 archery permit and there is also the $12.50 Conservation Stamp that every hunter must buy.

Topgun 30-06

Banned
G&F has now put up a notice that the draw results will be posted on their website by 10AM Mountain time tomorrow (6/12). Normally the leftover license lists are posted the same day, so you should know within 24 hours whether you have a chance at any tags for that hunt you're looking at!

Topgun 30-06

Banned
I am wanting to hunt the Units 122, 124. 125 area.

***Okay, those units are in Region F and you may be able to get a leftover tag to hunt the first two on that tag. Unit 125 is out because it is a separate draw LE unit with only 100 tags and they will be gone in the draw by residents and a few NR people with a high number of PPs. Check the leftover list that will be on the G&F website tomorrow to see if there are any Region F tags on it.

***Okay, those units are in Region F and you may be able to get a leftover tag to hunt the first two on that tag. Unit 125 is out because it is a separate draw LE unit with only 100 tags and they will be gone in the draw by residents and a few NR people with a high number of PPs. Check the leftover list that will be on the G&F website tomorrow to see if there are any Region F tags on it.
area 122 is region X not F

JustHunt

FNG
Region X didn’t exist yet in 2014. I think 2015 was the first year it was considered X.

Top gun died a couple years ago.