Muledeer vs whitetail rut

Good morning. I had my first mule deer hunt this year and it was a blast. We were in unit 28/Colorado for 3rd rifle.

Needless to say my buddies want to go on another muledeer hunt! This time we are looking at eastern Montana. Being a whitetail hunter from PA, I am familiar with the whitetail rut.

I know the Colorado muledeer rut is roughly 11/7 and on. Does anyone see that rutting activity occurs earlier the further north you get with muledeer? We are trying to find a good golden week to plan for.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any where in the month of November can be good. Id say its hard to go wrong 11/7 to 11/20 .

morten

FNG
I have hunted mule deer in eastern Montana on public lands. The rule of thumb has always been the later the better. We usually go the week before Thanksgiving week. I like this week because the Whitetail are just coming out of the rut and the Mule deer are really starting to get active. Good luck. Tons of fun.

I have hunted mule deer in eastern Montana on public lands. The rule of thumb has always been the later the better. We usually go the week before Thanksgiving week. I like this week because the Whitetail are just coming out of the rut and the Mule deer are really starting to get active. Good luck. Tons of fun.
I agree with this. Never hunted Montana, but in SD I always like going later in November. Still rutting, less pressure, and still some does in heat. I’ve hunted second weekend in November before and remember seeing a couple mature bucks still together.

RumLover

FNG
I agree with the others, I've seen the same results in Nebraska the week before Thanksgiving. Whitetails breaking from the does and searching again and mulies getting locked up with does.