Muzzleloader vs. First Rifle Elk Hunting

OP
RB1

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
^ It’s all unit dependent. Look up the #’s on how many first rifle and muzzy tags are issued. Some units issue a pretty insane amount of first rifle tags.

The one advantage (or disadvantage depending on how you look at it) of muzzy is elk are pretty much doing the same thing everyday so once you find them as long as your smart on how your hunting you can hopefully hunt the same elk a few days in a row. Other hunters can certainly ruin that plan though.

First rifle can have elk moving everywhere but that can be an advantage too. I have seen some bulls get killed in some pretty dumb spots during first.
I have noticed that as well. Seems like a lot of elk during first rifle are killed by those who have found their escape routes.

ckleeves

WKR
It’s hard to make yourself do but in those units with a ton of tags if you can find a spot overlooking a few drainages or even a big face with a timber flat on the top of it if you sit there from dawn till dark all 5 days you will kill an elk.

It’s about the most miserable way to elk hunt IMO but it’s effective.

OP
RB1

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
It’s hard to make yourself do but in those units with a ton of tags if you can find a spot overlooking a few drainages or even a big face with a timber flat on the top of it if you sit there from dawn till dark all 5 days you will kill an elk.

It’s about the most miserable way to elk hunt IMO but it’s effective.
I know this may be a weak comparison, but I have killed more turkeys in my life being patient and quiet than I have chasing them all over the place; especially in areas with more difficult terrain. It definitely is not how I would prefer to hunt them, but you can’t argue with results.

OP
RB1

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
I would choose 1st rifle every time. Where I live in Colorado September is way too warm for me to enjoy hunting.
Yeah, that’s a great point too. We were fortunate that when we went it was about the best weather we could ask for. However, when we went in 2020, that was when there was the massive snow storm in early September.

OP
RB1

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
ML season will have the following hunters:

ML elk
ML deer
Archery Elk
Archery Deer
Rifle Bear
ML Bear
Archery Bear
ML Moose
Archery Moose

1st Rifle will have the following hunters:

Rifle Elk
I wasn’t even considering bear and moose to be honest. I’m glad you brought that up.

From my pros and cons, I’m starting to really lean toward first rifle for elk. Worst case scenario I get to go, learn an area better, and see some great country.

Felix40

WKR
ML season will have the following hunters:

ML elk
ML deer
Archery Elk
Archery Deer
Rifle Bear
ML Bear
Archery Bear
ML Moose
Archery Moose

1st Rifle will have the following hunters:

Rifle Elk
Don’t forget the potential for rifle deer hunters too. September in CO is crazy.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If hunting first rifle and your plan is high in elevation make sure to have a plan B lower down in your pocket. Every few years will have heavy snow up high and push elk out.

Reactions: RB1

Dave_

Lil-Rokslider
Do you feel first rifle is even more crowded than muzzleloader even though muzzleloader has the overlap with bow season, or do you feel it is unit dependent and pressure is pressure no matter when you go?
Pressure moves around. All the easy draw/otc units are similar. You can always find unpressured areas if you move around enough. But that doesn't mean there won't be pressure in that spot the next week or next year. Elk are used to it

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

September also brings a ton of recreational users to the woods as it is still pretty nice weather out and everyone is trying to get that last bit of fun in before the first frost.

OP
RB1

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
If hunting first rifle and your plan is high in elevation make sure to have a plan B lower down in your pocket. Every few years will have heavy snow up high and push elk out.
Great to know. When I went in ‘20, there was the big snow in mid September and I felt like it had them dispersed already. That’s what I told myself to feel better anyways. Haha

OP
RB1

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
1st Rifle , IMO probably the best season to hunt in Colorado.
I really think that’s the route I am going to take. I’ve received so much helpful advice and input in this thread, but the odds of me getting within 200-300 yards (although slim) of a bull are significantly higher than my confidence in getting around 100ish with a ML.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Great to know. When I went in ‘20, there was the big snow in mid September and I felt like it had them dispersed already. That’s what I told myself to feel better anyways. Haha
If thats the year I'm thinking of we got a big storm in sept that was cleared out by the time first rifle hit, the weekend before first rifle I was sitting on a basin with 7+ bulls bugling below (they thinned out by the next weekend, haha). Then the next year that basin had 2'+ of snow in it and no elk. Have had that happen in other areas too over the years. A good 11-12k basin that holds elk normally in first rifle just takes a heavy storm to screw it up for that 5days...

I hunted first rifle for 7-8yrs in a row, its nice but the storms are hit / miss and the elk really get sparse after opening morning.

I hunted muzzy last year and conditions were much nicer but it was on the edge of winterkill so sparse elk numbers in general compared to being in that turf in prior years for 1st rifle / scouting. Personally unless its a warm year I like a hot tent for first rifle so I don't have to sleep on my boots to keep them from freezing. :)

OP
RB1

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to give a sincere thank you to all of the advice and input I received on this thread. It was nice to get honest opinions and feedback without people piling on just to focus on my inexperience or lack of knowledge.

I will be circling back to this thread to let everyone know how my hunt/tag draw went. Omitting units, of course! Haha.

Thanks everyone!

Boone-In-Wall

Lil-Rokslider
Muzzy season is usually earlier, which means you are typically not dealing with snow and bitter cold. In some cases, you can hunt muzzy during the rut. I think the biggest positive is the fact that in most cases you'll get better draw odds from a muzzy hunt compared to a rifle hunt.

Negatives would be, if the muzzy season is early, then you're hiking higher in elevation. Personally, I prefer this over hiking in cold/snow. Also, the harvest success rates are lower, just because you don't have the reach and efficacy that a modern rifle provides.

If you're comfortable with a muzzy, then I'd take that over a general rifle tag. It will provide you access that could be years of point building away.

Felix40

WKR
Muzzy season is usually earlier, which means you are typically not dealing with snow and bitter cold. In some cases, you can hunt muzzy during the rut. I think the biggest positive is the fact that in most cases you'll get better draw odds from a muzzy hunt compared to a rifle hunt.

Negatives would be, if the muzzy season is early, then you're hiking higher in elevation. Personally, I prefer this over hiking in cold/snow. Also, the harvest success rates are lower, just because you don't have the reach and efficacy that a modern rifle provides.

If you're comfortable with a muzzy, then I'd take that over a general rifle tag. It will provide you access that could be years of point building away.
Most of the units I’m interested in have worse draw odds for ML. I assume it’s because it’s in the rut and the weather is better.

This year I’m going to apply for a 1st rifle hunt in a unit where I wouldn’t have enough points for a ML hunt. I’ve never rifle hunted Colorado but I do know that September can be crazy busy. Either way it’s a gamble but that’s what makes it fun.

Laramie

WKR
Better chance of seeing/hearing elk - muzzleloader
Better chance of harvesting - first rifle

Muzzleloader would likely be a better hunt from an experience standpoint if you are willing to work hard to find the elk and get into a rutting situation. First rifle gives you a pretty good chance of filling the tag if you can find the elk. Both options are low percentage though in a 0-1 point unit. Plan on tag soup and enjoy the experience.

OP
RB1

RB1

Lil-Rokslider

All great points. I did forget to point out that as of now, I will likely be going by myself which is a factor as well. Part of me is hoping for the cooler weather that would allow me to get an animal out in a reasonable amount of time without spoiling.