My 16" 6.5 PRC Build

Sadler

WKR
I finally got everything put together and now have my 16" 6.5 PRC in hand. The only thing its missing is the TBAC Ultra 9 Gen 2 that I ordered for it 13.5 months ago. Before I get into the details, shout out to Jake and Jessica and their team at Unknown Munitions. They cerakoted it and spun the barrel on for me and when I went to pick it up then they bolted it down to my chassis, installed the trigger and mounted the scope for next to nothing. All while my three year old was trying to open every jug of powder in their store lol. Great people.

So I took it to the range yesterday to get a rough idea on the speed Im getting out of it and to find my zero. After I got a rough zero I strapped my magneto speed V3 to it and and got 2587 and 2586 FPS on the rounds it picked up. The speed kinda shocked me since my 18" tikka 6.5 PRC is getting 2725 but Im sure itll speed up over time. As of right now though, at the elevation I hunt, Im still over 2000 FPS out to just under 600 yards and thats a poke for me so I'm not complaining. The ammo Im using is Unknown Munitions Mayhem line loaded with Berger 156's. Here are the specs of the rifle

Defiance anTi XM action
Triggertech two stage Special trigger
XLR 4.0 Magnesium Chassis with bag rider, carbon grip and stock
Carbon 6 16" Bull Barrel
Talley medium rings
SWFA 3-9
Kinport Peak Rifles XM length 4 round aics mags
Spartan Precision pro hunt tac bipod
And the TBAC ultra 9 thats still in time out

Ill get a weight on it and some pictures posted tomorrow but I think its around 8.5 lbs loaded and ready to go.

Edit: It’s 8lbs as is with a full mag but will be 8lbs 10oz when I get my can.
3268473A-5109-499B-8E39-4DDA36362D7F.jpegAAE244B5-1F4B-4511-963C-E408BC55E342.jpegF1D6C278-104F-4656-BAEF-E14F93B44B2F.jpegE3B2FC1A-0F6A-4DF7-BE65-7310694FE8F0.jpegAEA79488-0C60-4197-BB22-8EA1DBD3316B.jpegD5873E21-6201-4495-9BAB-CA043CA069F8.jpeg

Last edited:
H4831sc and 140 eldm are a winner from that beast.
If I had that combo I would give it a shot. All I have is N565 and 156 bergers. Good thing is I can seat these out a little farther once I start reloading them and squeeze out a little more performance. Thats the main reason I went with an XM length action instead of a short action. Im thinking I can get close 2650-2700 after its all said and done and thats not a bad place to be with a 16" barrel

Man I’d love to see some pictures of it. I’ve considered building a short barreled PRC. I’d probably stop at 18”. I deer hunt the woods in Ky and Tn with a 20” 308 that wears an omega 300. I’m currently in the process of finishing up a 300wsm in a 20”. I’ll never not hunt suppressed again and the speed loss of the shorter barrel isn’t an issue for me in the woods.

Man I’d love to see some pictures of it. I’ve considered building a short barreled PRC. I’d probably stop at 18”. I deer hunt the woods in Ky and Tn with a 20” 308 that wears an omega 300. I’m currently in the process of finishing up a 300wsm in a 20”. I’ll never not hunt suppressed again and the speed loss of the shorter barrel isn’t an issue for me in the woods.
I won’t either. Shooting this with just the break on yesterday reminded me of that. Long barrels with breaks are a thing of the past for me. Other than my 18” 300WSM I don’t think I’ll build anything longer than 16” again.

I won’t either. Shooting this with just the break on yesterday reminded me of that. Long barrels with breaks are a thing of the past for me. Other than my 18” 300WSM I don’t think I’ll build anything longer than 16” again.
I’ll bet that was a substantial fireball and a sonic whack in the face.

I finally got everything put together and now have my 16" 6.5 PRC in hand. The only thing its missing is the TBAC Ultra 9 Gen 2 that I ordered for it 13.5 months ago. Before I get into the details, shout out to Jake and Jessica and their team at Unknown Munitions. They cerakoted it and spun the barrel on for me and when I went to pick it up then they bolted it down to my chassis, installed the trigger and mounted the scope for next to nothing. All while my three year old was trying to open every jug of powder in their store lol. Great people.

So I took it to the range yesterday to get a rough idea on the speed Im getting out of it and to find my zero. After I got a rough zero I strapped my magneto speed V3 to it and and got 2587 and 2586 FPS on the rounds it picked up. The speed kinda shocked me since my 18" tikka 6.5 PRC is getting 2725 but Im sure itll speed up over time. As of right now though, at the elevation I hunt, Im still over 2000 FPS out to just under 600 yards and thats a poke for me so I'm not complaining. The ammo Im using is Unknown Munitions Mayhem line loaded with Berger 156's. Here are the specs of the rifle

Defiance anTi XM action
Triggertech two stage Special trigger
XLR 4.0 Magnesium Chassis with bag rider, carbon grip and stock
Carbon 6 16" Bull Barrel
Talley medium rings
SWFA 3-9
Kinport Peak Rifles XM length 4 round aics mags
Spartan Precision pro hunt tac bipod
And the TBAC ultra 9 thats still in time out

Ill get a weight on it and some pictures posted tomorrow but I think its around 8.5 lbs loaded and ready to go.

Edit: It’s 8lbs as is with a full mag but will be 8lbs 10oz when I get my can.
View attachment 431730View attachment 431731View attachment 431732View attachment 431733View attachment 431734View attachment 431735
Is that athletic wrap on the scope?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

If I had that combo I would give it a shot. All I have is N565 and 156 bergers. Good thing is I can seat these out a little farther once I start reloading them and squeeze out a little more performance. Thats the main reason I went with an XM length action instead of a short action. Im thinking I can get close 2650-2700 after its all said and done and thats not a bad place to be with a 16" barrel
I shot an elk with a 156 started at 2650 last fall, but it was out of a 22" Creedmoor. It worked great, and I would imagine yours will be boringly effective, and a lot handier to suppress.

What 16" cm load will shoot the 156 2600 fps in factory length new brass with n565 and no load workup?

You essentially created a shorter 26 inch Creed. No slam, it's a really well done rifle and Ed Zachary what I'da done if wanting a 16" incher.

Oh. And heres the load with NO work-up....

You essentially created a shorter 26 inch Creed. No slam, it's a really well done rifle and Ed Zachary what I'da done if wanting a 16" incher.

Oh. And heres the load with NO work-up....
Not my rifle
Cool now do it with a 16" barrel.
I'm fairly certain the op could get more velocity if he chose to with a different powder or coal.

Same boat here on shorter tubes. I have a 24" Creedmoor that sends the 147 ELDM at 2785fps. It's a killer, but I usually grab a shorter rifle. I also have a 20" Creedmoor the slings the 156gr Berger at 2670fps. It's a killer.... And an 18" Creedmoor (folder) thats good for 2560fps with the 147gr ELDM. Deadly...... And a 17" Creedmoor that shoots the 130 ELDM around 2600fps. It's a killer, too.

All that to say that I just put together a 18" 6.5 SAUM to hunt suppressed. I have only shot factory 142gr ammo as of now, but with 156gr Bergers over Reloder 26, it's destined to replace all of my creedmoors mentioned above and a 7mag (24") that hasn't seen much playing time lately anyway. If I can get high-end creed performance with the 156 Berger, it will be exactly what I intended.

Curious, how far was the shot? Thinking of using the 156 for a cow elk hunt this year.
50 yds, in the timber. Lol
I think I would have broken a shoulder at 400 yds with that combo, though, if I had needed to. I've killed 2 animals with that bullet, and I've been very impressed with its terminal performance. I can't imagine that it won't work well for you.

Back