My first backpacking experience...

bz_711

WKR
Thought I'd share a few pics of my wife and I's first backpacking experience recently...and a couple opinions on some budget gear I picked up.

What started as an anniversary trip (3yrs late for our 10th anniversary trip:)) planned to the Florida gulf (our first trip without kids)...turned into my wife saying we should go to the mountains and do some things we can't normally do with little ones...you don't have to tell me mountains twice! She then wanted to experience a natural hot springs but did not want the "touristy" type that have a hotel near them...which led to her discovering Conundrum Hot springs in the Maroon Bells Wilderness. Approx 9 mile hike in to 100+ degree natural hot spring...which meant we'd be overnighting...so I went work on acquiring some gear, kept an eye on the above average snowfall this year, and hoped for a clear trail by Jun 26th. The last remaining issue was the final river crossing that can be very wide and raging during heavy snow melt...which looked like we'd be hitting that at the worst time.

We set out on a Thursday to avoid the well reported Fri and Sat night crowds...weather forecast was perfect, and ends up we did not see a rain drop our entire 5 days in CO which is rare, but we'll take it! (these are the few pics I have, majority on wifes camera)
m8rAlcF.jpg

My wife loves photography and especially open meadow views when we visit CO...this trail did not let us down. Huge open valleys with wildflowers, with large hillsides of aspen and pine...and snow capped peaks on both sides...along with a gorgeous stream alongside the whole trip...and multiple cascading waterfalls. It was as pretty as it gets.
LW2NfWw.jpg

Besides multiple stream crossings, there are two log bridge crossings and one river/wading crossing at about 6.5 miles in. Since my wife did not care for the first bridge (basically two logs suspended about 8ft high over raging river)...when we got to the 2nd crossing I told her it looked like we could bushwack for a 1/2 mile and avoid the last two crossings as you end up on same side of river at that point anyway. She was a little unsure at first as it got very thick with Pines at first, then willows (the elk sign was sure getting better:)), a few smaller streams we had to hop over to clear...then some pretty good snow...and then we came upon this
g7k3281.jpg

I loved seeing bear tracks...my wife not so much. One thing I learned on this trip is that she absolutely trusts me...which is awesome.

As we made our way back toward the trail we came right up to the river crossing, could hear people yelling, and then there were 6 different hikers in the middle of the river trying to hop on log jams to get across with no luck. One guys looked up at me and said "how in the f--- did you get across?"...I told him we bushwacked...most I believe had to lose the boots and pants and gets mighty cold to get across...not to mention the risk of center stream where there was a pretty good current. My wife finally said I was right by bushwacking and thanked me. Two more miles to the springs...and it was like climbing stairs from then on, with the weight of our packs we were starting to feel it a little bit (of course this is just elk hunt training for me)

When we arrived to the springs there were a few hikers around, but by the time we found a campsite clear of snow and put our suits on, we had the springs to ourselves
sBCBzk9.jpg

It made all the effort worth it. The center of the springs had bubbles coming up through the rocks and the temps were noticeably higher there, to the point you could not sit on them very long with out getting very hot. After a while alone, a few more younger couples made their way in with us, and we had some great conversation together. Ends up, nobody found the same way across the last river crossing, and nobody else bushwacked off trail like we did either to stay dry. We sat for over 2 hours in the 100+ degree water...and even had a cocktail of filtered water, vodka, and raspberry drink mix...life was good!

Closer to sunset we knew we needed to filter more water and eat some dinner...our first experience with Mountain House (Lasagna for her, Chili Mac for me)...we were both very pleased with the taste, although we could have shared a meal.
This pic shows the massive snow bank just 8 steps behind our tent

EWqUs8I.jpg

e8K9jm4.jpg

Daylight woke us at 5:17am...clouds did not look good at first so we actually got packing up around 6:00 and hit the road. The day gradually cleared. What took us about 5.5 hours going up, took just over 4 hours coming down. I would classify this as a strenuous hike that the majority of everyday vacationers would not be able to pull off without some training. We did pass close to 30 hikers on our way down proving true that Fri night was going to be busy as reported...although I'd put money down that quite a few of them did not make it as they were already huffing at the 2 mile mark...it gets harder the whole way up.

GEAR:
-I had plans to buy a new pack for elk hunting this year as I've always ended up packing out elk meat in my daypack and never once used my pack frame - since we always just took the whole thing out from kill site and have not returned. I needed a frame pack for this reason - and this trip was a perfect excuse.
I picked up the REI XT85 for $220 during sale this year. WOW - I love this thing. I had the pack loaded to help keep wifes pack to a min, and it rode so well - I cannot wait to hunt with this and hopefully fill with meat. The adjustments are great for getting a fit, I love the small belt pockets for GPS/calls, and the two water bottle side pockets are great for bugle call, bear spray, etc.
-Picked up a $97 Alps Mountaineering Zephyr tent. Might be heavy to some at 4.5 lbs., but it sure worked great for us, and I'll use it first time I need to stay in the backcountry for elk or mulies. Plenty of room for 1 guy and all your gear, but even wife and I had room for two sleeping pads, bags, and some extra gear...and both entries had vestibule big enough for packs and boots. Good first tent.
-Got a $14 stove from Sierra Trading Post (most gear from STP actually) and $5 cup from walmart and it boiled like a champ for MH meals, hot chocolate, and tea. Kovea ultralight I believe for the stove, packs down to nothing.
-sleeping bags were Zero and 20 degree Mountainsmith bags from STP for about $50 each...temps in the high 30's at night, both of us were very warm sleeping.
-She had a Hyalite sleeping pad with better R value $32, I had air only Hyalite classic $18
-both had a set of Black Diamond poles ($39/set from STP). I did not use on the way up until almost the end and some small stream crossings...big mistake...these things are AWESOME! I used the whole way back down and cannot believe how much they help on both uphills and downhills...will never hike without them again.
-Wore my Asolo elk hunting boots and they did great, and some walmart And1 slip on sandals for water crossings. Wife had some Keen waterproof hiking shoes, and Keen water sandals for crossings...she really likes the Keen products.
-Made my wife a pack with my Cabelas frame and two cheap Outdoor Research dry sacks lashed to the frame.
-Lastly, I had picked up a Sawyer Mini water filter $19.99 - looks like I'll never own another water filter. Small, weighs nothing, and works like a champ. Plugs right in the end of our Camelbak and drink straight from it, or I'd hang the Camelbak in tree and let gravity filter it into my other Cabela's bladder. also screws right on regular packaged water bottle, comes with collapsible water pouch, and even straw to drink right out of stream. It will be in my elk pack at all times now.

I know my gear is on the heavy side to most, but I still feel young and dumb so at this time I do not see any upgrades needed - I now have everything I need to stay out overnight with the elk if the need arises.
I did everything I can to make my wifes first backcountry experience a good one - sure hope we can add some overnights like this to future trips. I know we definitely plan to get the kids involved with similar camping once the little ones can carry a pack and keep up (littlest is 3).
Wife also drove by elk camp with me on our way there which was nice to share with her where I disappear to in Sept...and we spent some time around Aspen, Buena Vista, Leadville, Frisco...CO sure is a great state to visit. Really enjoyed our time away from kids, but missed them at same time and want to take them back soon to share some new places we discovered...we've taken kids multiple times to RMNP and Estes Park area as I grew up vacationing there...love that area, but so many other areas to explore with them.

Thanks again to a lot of good advice on this site that helped with my gear selections!

Last edited:

muleman

WKR
Great attitude! Getting out there is much more important than not going because you don't have the latest uber light gear.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like you guys had a great trip! Thanks for sharing. I also love backpacking and camping with the wife and kids.

husky390

WKR
Awesome trip. Thank you for sharing and I'll have to try to add that place to the list for my wife and I to go to this summer. Glad you got her into it. I about fell over when my wife told me that backpacking was her favorite when it came to camping. If you can snag an REI camp chair when they're on sale, do it. My wife loved the one I bought her.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Awesome stuff BZ. And Bob Im with you. I wish mine would get out there with me also. Its nice having your loved ones with you out there to experience the stuff we do. Time for me to take at trip soon. This inspired me.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Really enjoyed the photos and write up! Sounds like a great trip, would love to see Colorado some day. Kudos to you for getting your wife out there, sounds like you might have a new backpacking partner :)

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
Thanks for the comments everyone!

Awesome trip. Thank you for sharing and I'll have to try to add that place to the list for my wife and I to go to this summer. Glad you got her into it. I about fell over when my wife told me that backpacking was her favorite when it came to camping. If you can snag an REI camp chair when they're on sale, do it. My wife loved the one I bought her.
If you look to do this hike - I highly recommend Mon - Thurs if at all possible. There are only 16 designated campsites within a 1/2 mile of springs and I'd say they have to be full every Fri and Sat of summer. I'd say only 5-6 were full on the Thurs we went, but a few were still also covered in snow.
And - if you would encounter a lot of people in the springs, there was no one around early morning...it sure was tempting as we passed he springs on our way out (we camped above springs)...water was crystal clear and bubbles/heat rising up...I'm sure you could get some time without others in the morning.
I can see how a camp chair would be nice, especially if going more than one night - will check some out.

Wow, a two hour hot springs soak! Now that is a great end to a hike!
It was great - we were beat down after 9 miles uphill with packs...but as soon as we started soaking it was worth all the effort, I could honestly spend two nights up there just to have a whole day in the springs. The only downside to this trip at all, was no cell signal for the wife to check on the 4 kids at night - didn't like that feeling...luckily the grandparents kept them safe.
We both discussed how great a first backpack trip this was - sure hope she's not let down next time there is no natural hot tub at 11,200':)

Now - back at work - we both wish we could be back out there!

boom

WKR
pure genius bud!!

never considered a hot spring. i bet the promise of a hot soak is about the right ticket to get my wife to backpack!! she loves to hike, but she kinda hates being "dirty".. me, i can relish my funk for a while.

two years ago, i elk hunted near a hot spring. talk about luxury!! it was a pay spot, but we gave the guy a wad, and he let us head in at night..with headlamps. cleaning up after chasing invisible elk was the best thing ever.

wow,you guys chose Conundrum for your first trip? thats a hike the locals here take seriosly! welll done guys! glad you enjoyed your selves that place is awesome

Carlin59

WKR
BZ, nicely done getting the wife involved! I actually did the same trip as you this past weekend. Led a group of 10 up to Conundrum, and actually got the same campsite you did! It was the first time backpacking for 3 of the group, including my Fiance. First time in a natural hot spring for most of us; what a treat! Saw my first "wild" mountain goat while relaxing in the spring with a cocktail. If you and your wife make it back there, consider doing a 3 day loop. I took our group to Conundrum on Day 1, Conundrum to Crested Butte on Day 2, and Crested Butte back to Aspen on Day 3 via the West Maroon trail (ending at the lake). Anyway, a fun option that would get her access to Aspen, Crested Butte, the Hot Springs again, all while backpacking!
Cody

Ebby

WKR
Awesome! Wish I could get my wife out there more. She has started hiking some locally with me but a multi night trip wouldn't work. Good for you!

Lee

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Great stuff BZ great for sharing. Looks to me like you have a great gear list that should serve you well in years to come and only need to upgrade if you truly think/feel you need to. Looks like you did your research and it paid off with some great gear for minimal costs.

Of course as you know gear isn't what its all about. My best memories are often shared with my wife while out backpacking and sipping on some vodka/rapsberry powdered drink watching the sun go down! Congrats on a great trip and even more of a congrats on your 13th anniversary! Thanks for sharing your trip and hope you share more of them.