The Chinese Wall (the one in Montana! :)) in January

mtbn

FNG
Great trip! Thank you. I just finished a x-mas gift book from my daughter called Rangers, Trappers, and Trailblazers by John Fraley. Stories about early day adventures in the Bob so your timing was perfect. Thanks again.

tony

WKR
Awesome pictures and trip report

What precautions do you take with your furry companion? Coat, boots? she have a doggie pack? Or do you carry the food and bowels?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Guys!

Great trip! Thank you. I just finished a x-mas gift book from my daughter called Rangers, Trappers, and Trailblazers by John Fraley. Stories about early day adventures in the Bob so your timing was perfect. Thanks again.

Fraley's books are great. He really does his research and he's very familiar with the area- working in there as a fish biologist. :)
Awesome pictures and trip report

What precautions do you take with your furry companion? Coat, boots? she have a doggie pack? Or do you carry the food and bowels?

Tom puts musher's wax on her feet- protects and prevents snow buildup. He's got a special blend of kibbles that are high in fat that she's fed. For sleeping, Pepper has her own sleeping bag- it's made by Nunatak- down filled w/ a pad in the bottom :)

Thanks Guys!

Fraley's books are great. He really does his research and he's very familiar with the area- working in there as a fish biologist. :)

Tom puts musher's wax on her feet- protects and prevents snow buildup. He's got a special blend of kibbles that are high in fat that she's fed. For sleeping, Pepper has her own sleeping bag- it's made by Nunatak- down filled w/ a pad in the bottom :)
Great story and awesome pictures! Why is it called the China Wall?? Just curious (and interested)!!

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great story and awesome pictures! Why is it called the China Wall?? Just curious (and interested)!!

Thanks. Due to resemblance to the Chinese Wall- not as long and not man made however :)

4CgKU2B.jpg

hoyt-guy

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome write up & great pics! I've spent some time in the Bob hunting black bears, but never been that far in. Thanks for sharing!

Fishn4eyes

Lil-Rokslider
About the time I start to think I'm doing some pretty manly shit, I read one of your adventures and then I'm back to feeling like a wuss.

Quite an adventure, well done!

Last edited:
OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Gents!

If you haven't been, definitely worth putting on your to do list- it's not just the Wall, but all the great country you see accessing it! :)

Awesome, Mike! I'd love to get there someday. About how many total miles did you all cover? And what were your night time temps like? Looks damn cold!

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks. A little over 50 miles- biggest day was 16 miles, shortest was our last day out- 10 miles. Lows down lower were ~10 degrees, our night up high pretty sure it was closer to 0- possibly a touch below.

Nothing nearly as bad as what came just a few days later though :D

ianpadron

WKR
Amazing to see it in winter, wow! If you guys ever need another adventure buddy in the Bob, let me know, I'm in there all the time.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds good. We found a route on top of the Wall, pretty cool- definitely summer only.

grfox92

WKR
We have a Chinese wall here in Wyoming, between Cody and Yellowstone.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk