My first buck at 57 years old...and on our 35th wedding anniversary!

I've hunted off and on all my life, but not deer. I shot my first doe last year. My wife had to be out of town on our 35th wedding anniversary, so I decided to go sit in the woods last night. On our club we require 8 or more points to kill a buck. Just before dark this 8-point buck walked out of the woods broadside and just stood there. I meant to shoot him high shoulder to avoid trailing him in the woods at night. Ended up shooting him about 1/3 down from the back, through the shoulder. No exit wound and absolutely no blood (30.06, 150 grain Core-Lokt). He ran straight into the woods but crashed almost immediately. Did a search pattern by flashlight and found him about 40 yards in by the green reflection of his eye through the heavy, swampy brush. Again, zero blood, so was very thankful to find him so quickly. What a fantastic night.

Hardest Selfie ever!
Hardest Selfy Ever.jpg

We always check on the last guy in the woods when we leave the club. One of the members hiked out to see if I was okay, which got me a decent photo of the buck on the ground.
Happy Hunter.jpg

At the processors. Definitely getting this one mounted (semi-sneak).
First Buck Cordrays.jpg

Dragging a buck through the woods with only one good leg builds a mighty appetite.
Strong Buck Heart for Supper.jpg

OP
Mike Islander
Definitely can't wait to have some smoked tenderloin. I shot my first deer last year for the meat (a big doe). I was just hoping to get another doe when the buck appeared. I work a lot and haven't had time to do any scouting. Just picked a stand that was to the west of the four other hunters on the club, hoping they might drive something my way.

OXN939

WKR
Definitely can't wait to have some smoked tenderloin. I shot my first deer last year for the meat (a big doe). I was just hoping to get another doe when the buck appeared. I work a lot and haven't had time to do any scouting. Just picked a stand that was to the west of the four other hunters on the club, hoping they might drive something my way.

Congrats, man! That's a solid, mature buck for your first one. Way to use every part, too- way too many people overlook the heart when cleaning.