My gun started punching primers

A few years ago I purchased a used Bergara B-14 in 6.5 Creedmoor. Since then, I have run over 1,000 rounds through it- not sure of the exact count. This year alone has been several hundred. Nearly all have been Hornady factory with a small smattering of others.

One hot day at the range in July I noticed the first few get punched. It was hot! I chalked it up to my gun and ammo being in the blazing sun. After noticing, I let it cool and shot a few more. Some punched, some didn't. That was the first time I had ever seen a punched primer. The picture I attached is from that day.

The next couple range trips produced similar results. A bunch of regular dented primers with a couple of punches.

Yesterday, I had probably shot something like 20 rounds. Then, I had a weird one. Shot felt normal, hit the steel, but I noticed a strange amount of smoke emit from the action around the bolt and bolt release. Confused, I jacked another round in. I could see that the bolt was locked back into battery and the trigger had normal pressure. When I pressed the trigger, nothing happened. No boom, no click. Jack the round out, inspect- nothing noteworthy. Repeat. Same thing...

So I pack up. Go back to the truck and start inspecting things. I take the bolt out and unscrew the firing pin assembly. (Never done that before FYI) The first thing I noticed is the amount of grease in there, a literal shitload. I typically use a minimal amount of lubricant in my guns and will probably give that a thorough cleaning out.

Next, I looked through the bolt and see that the firing pin hole (not sure of the technical term) is obstructed. I start fiddling around with it, unsure of what I'm looking at. I end up inverting the firing pin and poking it in there. The obstruction clears but does not fall out, possibly stuck in the grease somewhere.

Reassemble the bolt and later fire two rounds. All good, primers intact.

My theory is that the ass end of a primer blew back into the bolt face and clogged the mechanism. I think this is what initially caused my malfunction.

I would appreciate any advice you all may have on this matter. If the advice happens to be "buy a Tikka," I am planning on it already.

Attachments

• IMG_20230723_162119055.jpg
    IMG_20230723_162119055.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 49
Check for a carbon ring and clean as necessary. Also inspect the tip of the firing pin with a magnifying glass, if it has even a tiny burr or other imperfection it could be the cause of pierced primers. After several pierced primers the firing pin tip is likely deformed in some manner anyhow and will only cause additional issues moving forward.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Do you have a carbon ring in your throat? That can be the contributing factor that pushes pressure over the point to start punching primers.

I had something similar just a few weeks ago. Signs of high pressure with factory loads. Primers would get completely unseated. I also initially suspected that I was letting the ammo and gun cook too much in the sun. Turns out I also head excessive headspace. I believe it was a combo of both. Got the headspace corrected and now it's shooting as I expect.

OP
LongWayAround
Thanks for the input. I had not thought of fouling increasing chamber pressure. I cleaned the chamber as best I could but couldn't really tell how much carbon ring there was when I began.