Lone Peak action nitride question

hlet007

FNG
So I just got my new Lone Peak Fuzion action back from the gunsmith. This is my first custom action and first nitrided action. I noticed that there's a fair bit of the black finish worn off of the bolt already. Its not fired a round yet, just got back from chambering. I know the black finish is just a biproduct of the nitride treatment and the metal itself is still hardened underneath. I'm just wondering if this is normal for the finish to wear off so quickly. A friend of mine has a Kelby with over a thousand rounds on it and the nitride finish on that bolt is much less worn than mine. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all

Attachments

• IMG_9935.jpg
    IMG_9935.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9934.jpg
    IMG_9934.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9933.jpg
    IMG_9933.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 14

Mag_7s

WKR
I have a nitride Lone Peak Fuzion as well with about ~500 rounds and it doesn't look half as worn off. Did you get the action nitride coated from Lone Peak?

Mag_7s

WKR
I think I'd call your smith and ask what gives. Pretty strange without having hundreds of cycles to show wear like that. I would send pics to Lone peak as well. Maybe they got a bad batch done and willing to help?

Here is one with 15-20k on it plus way more dry fire. Smooooooth as silk.

No worries. Nitride wears off. Functionality does not.

Attachments

• IMG_4319.jpeg
    IMG_4319.jpeg
    462.9 KB · Views: 21

Mag_7s

WKR
Agreed, functionality is the same, but when you drop that much coin on an action ya kinda want it to look purdy for a little bit. I do have ocd though 🤷

OP
H

hlet007

FNG
Yeah I hear ya, I'm pretty ocd too. I know the black wears off over time but thought it would last a bit longer. I have some Cerakoted bolts that look better than this one and they have 3-500 rounds on them and lots of dry fire. I'll make some calls tomorrow and enquire. But at the end of the day if it shoots well, that's what matters.

Agreed, functionality is the same, but when you drop that much coin on an action ya kinda want it to look purdy for a little bit. I do have ocd though 🤷
Hahahha. I’m the opposite. It’s a tool.
Tools get used…typically the more you use the tool the more you get used to it and the better you perform with it.

I do not care what something looks like…I only care about performance.

Mag_7s

WKR
Hahahha. I’m the opposite. It’s a tool.
Tools get used…typically the more you use the tool the more you get used to it and the better you perform with it.

I do not care what something looks like…I only care about performance.
I could definitely benefit from that perspective. Just hard to turn it off.