My local bowyer

bisblue

WKR
Pretty lucky my buddy made me a hybrid longbow, it turned out looking great, green glass on the back and brown on the belly, phenolic in the riser and shot great. Helping shape the grip was really fun. But it was too heavy, my hand scale at home was giving me too much poundage so I ordered wrong.

Luckily he thought it would sell as a stock bow and he's gonna make me the same bow in a 2 piece takedown and lighter poundage.

So much fun getting nerdy with a local bowyer. He pretty old school and was cussing my flat grip that angled slightly away from the shelf, but I'm pretty sure I heard him mumble under his breath while shooting it "it really locks in your hand, doesn't it?"🤣🤣🤣
Compress_20230407_213625_5322.jpgCompress_20230407_213625_5558.jpg

I'm a big fan of buying from a guy close enough to visit. That's what I did for my first/only custom bow. Super cool to see the shop and learn a little about the process.

LostArra

WKR
Very nice. I'm a fan of the radius shelf and using local bowyers.
If you can't get the grip just the way you like it then what's the point of a custom unless you just like a bowyer's standard grip.

You might mention the bowyer's name. There might be a buyer here for the heavier bow.

OP
bisblue

bisblue

WKR
Good thread for sure , wow if your takedown goin to be 50# @30 , how many lbs was original bow pulling ? Also did you guys discuss if your shooting split or three under to customize the set tiller ?
Defenitely a blessing to have that bowyer friend . Keep posting the progress .
55@30".

We're building it even/a hair negative tiller. I will sometimes do a double tired on nock to bring my point on a little closer.
It's nice leaving a fatter grip, knowing I can alter it and refinish later if needed.
Compress_20230521_105137_7959.jpg

OP
bisblue

bisblue

WKR
Turned out great, shoots great. I was a bit worried that our wouldn't shoot great having a friend make me a bow. Nice heavy micarta handle.
21658.jpeg21656.jpeg21655.jpeg21654.jpeg