My new back country Elk hunting sky tent.

Olydog09

Lil-Rokslider
hammock.jpg

My partner and I are going the hammock route this year for elk hunting. We have 10 days and will have a spike camp set up in the middle of our hunting area and then depart on 2-3 day bivy hunts to specific areas or possible run a 2-3 day hunt from one truck to the other truck through prime areas until we get into the elk. I got a Warbonnett BlackBird hammock and tried it out last weekend and it slept very nicely.

LostArra

WKR
I sure wish I had that WB on our Idaho trip!
There was not even a small piece of level ground, plus it was all rocks.
But plenty of trees!

Hammocks and bears: the myth continues behind the protective walls of a 2 pound tent! :)

OP
O

Olydog09

Lil-Rokslider
Till that Bear comes along and bites you in the arse =-) haha. I just cant do Hammocks. Im a tummy sleeper. doesnt work for me. But if it works go for it. Just make sure you pile leaves up around camp. So you can hear em coming. =-)

I am not worried about the bruins but if you were I figured you could set up in a blow down area as long as you could find some trees that arent widow makers. That would make it pretty noisy for them to get at you. Unless they just padded along the logs then you are a free meat burrito.

bbrown

WKR
I sure wish I had that WB on our Idaho trip!
There was not even a small piece of level ground, plus it was all rocks.
But plenty of trees!

Hammocks and bears: the myth continues behind the protective walls of a 2 pound tent! :)

I am sure there is little difference in the end result of a hammock vs a tent/tarp - I just can't stop giggling at the image of some poor SOB wrapped up in a hammock while getting batted around by a bear out of my head!!! Hence the "bear pinata".

OP
O

Olydog09

Lil-Rokslider
Looks good. What does your setup weigh?

I am just gathering everything up. The hammock itself is 28 oz. The tarp I have right now is around 30 oz but will be getting a Superfly tarp at 19 oz. You can go lighter but the Superfly has doors on the ends and can fully enclose.

kyle1112

WKR
i cant wait to be in the backcountry in my hammock setup Oly!!! I have never slept better than i do in my hammock, its way better than being on the ground. On top of being able to set up on uneven gnarly ground, hammocks pack down to a little bigger than softball sized and take up very little room and do the same thing as a bivy and a tent at the same time. ill never go back!! make sure you post pics!! And to SHTF, im a stomach sleeper at home but sleep like a baby on my back in the hammock, its something youd just have to try for yourself.

KWest141

FNG
Another Hammock lover right here. Here's my Clark Jungle Hammock I'll be using in September in CO for elk. Love it and can't wait. Tent campers just don't know what their missing. Lol

Attachments

• IMG_20130316_141541_977.jpg
    IMG_20130316_141541_977.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 128
OP
O

Olydog09

Lil-Rokslider
Another Hammock lover right here. Here's my Clark Jungle Hammock I'll be using in September in CO for elk. Love it and can't wait. Tent campers just don't know what their missing. Lol

Those Clark's are nice. I like the whole setup on them.

I don't know but hammocks seem to be too cold and wet for my taste. I prefer my pad and tent with fly when the rain is coming down sideways.

kyle1112

WKR
they really dont, Dreamingbig- i know that i stay warm in mine, the key is to put your pad inside your bag with you to create a barrier and most guys have an under quilt as will that helps retain heat, im not trying to convert anyone, as im sure Oly and kwest arent either, but ya cant know or knock(you arent) it till you try it.

OP
O

Olydog09

Lil-Rokslider
i cant wait to be in the backcountry in my hammock setup Oly!!! I have never slept better than i do in my hammock, its way better than being on the ground. On top of being able to set up on uneven gnarly ground, hammocks pack down to a little bigger than softball sized and take up very little room and do the same thing as a bivy and a tent at the same time. ill never go back!! make sure you post pics!! And to SHTF, im a stomach sleeper at home but sleep like a baby on my back in the hammock, its something youd just have to try for yourself.

I hear you Kyle. The versatility this will afford us with snake skins and being able to pack camp in 5 minutes each morning is awesome if we need to follow the elk or keep moving to find them. Not to mention the COMFORT!

Weight wise once you have a full set up of hammock, tarp, sleeping bag, underquilt and or pad the weight is colse to but just a toucj heavier than most ultralight ground setups. But the comfort makes uo for the little extra in weight. If you get the right tarp you can fully enclose your hammock for nights and days spent in wet weather if needed. Once you start down the hammock road it is addictive. Kyle if you ever decide to pony up for an Idaho tag and license hit me up and you will be welcome with me and my partners.

kyle1112

WKR
Oly man I would be more Than happy to head your way and hunt Idaho, maybe next buddy, we will work out the details and make it happen for sure!!

The hammocks are very comfy for sure. I noticed that when I was napping in my mine, even in 70 degree weather, a light breeze made me uncomfortably chilly. So when considering weight, consider the weight of the underquilt and pad; they're a must. Other than that, it's all about personal preference. My Wilderness Logics hammock was more comfy (to me) than my Butt in a sling hammock.