My new favorite wool pants

I like wool. It has great temperature regulation in both hot and cold climates, and tends to keep me comfortable across a broader range of temperatures than synthetics.

There are quite a few good wool options for base layers and torso. (My favorites are Voormi's amazing wool soft shell jackets and pullovers.)

However, I haven't had much luck finding wool pants I like. Traditional wool hunting pants tend to be too heavy and stiff and not built how want them to be.

A couple of months ago, however, I came across some wool pants sold by a Finnish company called Varusteleka

They are the Särmä TST Woolshell trousers.

After wearing them for many days, I really love them. The merino wool is soft and comfortable, but durable. The pockets are capacious and well designed. The fit is good, with various waist and length combinations available. They are cut high in the back, which makes them more comfortable when wearing a pack waistbelt. Reinforcements in the seat, crotch, and knees provide protection, and water resistance when sitting or kneeling. The velcro closures around the ankles fit nicely around my boots, keeping out snow and debris when I'm not wearing gaiters.

My only complaint is that they did not come with suspenders, but I easily attached some to the belt loops.

So far, I've worn them hunting, hiking, camping, backcountry skiing, and shoveling snow and making snow caves in my back yard.

These are my new favorite winter pants.

Jmac603

Lil-Rokslider
The one site i checked and they look very interesting. Are there any US distributors that you are aware of?

Thanks,
Jason

I like wool. It has great temperature regulation in both hot and cold climates, and tends to keep me comfortable across a broader range of temperatures than synthetics.

There are quite a few good wool options for base layers and torso. (My favorites are Voormi's amazing wool soft shell jackets and pullovers.)

However, I haven't had much luck finding wool pants I like. Traditional wool hunting pants tend to be too heavy and stiff and not built how want them to be.

A couple of months ago, however, I came across some wool pants sold by a Finnish company called Varusteleka

They are the Särmä TST Woolshell trousers.

After wearing them for many days, I really love them. The merino wool is soft and comfortable, but durable. The pockets are capacious and well designed. The fit is good, with various waist and length combinations available. They are cut high in the back, which makes them more comfortable when wearing a pack waistbelt. Reinforcements in the seat, crotch, and knees provide protection, and water resistance when sitting or kneeling. The velcro closures around the ankles fit nicely around my boots, keeping out snow and debris when I'm not wearing gaiters.

My only complaint is that they did not come with suspenders, but I easily attached some to the belt loops.

So far, I've worn them hunting, hiking, camping, backcountry skiing, and shoveling snow and making snow caves in my back yard.

These are my new favorite winter pants.

Jmac603

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info for sure. I get a little squirrelly with custom clothing coming from overseas.

OP
S
Did you try the jacket also? It looks very well made

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I looked at the jacket online, but didn't buy it.

I've already got several wool tops I like a lot, so I resisted the urge to purchase it. I agree it looks very nice.

There's actually a couple of jackets, one more like a softshell, and one more like a jacket.

Are these full wool with ripstop reinforcements over or are the ripstop parts separate panels seen with wool panels? Looks like the butt and front of lower legs are ripstop and rest is wool.

OP
S
Are these full wool with ripstop reinforcements over or are the ripstop parts separate panels seen with wool panels? Looks like the butt and front of lower legs are ripstop and rest is wool.

The pants are full wool. The ripstop panels are reinforcements over the wool.

TwoTikkas

WKR

Agreed. I could see trying these.