My newest body related issue

Ucsdryder

WKR
My damn hamstring has felt tight for 2 months. Not sure if it’s a nerve deal or muscle. The massage gun doesn’t seem to help in any way. After a hard cycle class it’s tighter, walking up stairs I’ll notice it. It’s not debilitating but I keep thinking at some point it’s going to “pop” and I’m going to be effed. I’m very inflexible, been that way my whole life. I can’t touch my toes or ankles. Maybe about half way between my knees and ankles standing up. Sitting down I’m lucky to touch my knees!

Am I getting old?

Maybe I need to go to yoga.

Ugh, hamstring, groin, and hip flexor pulls are the worst. Not sure how old you are, but we typically get less, not more, flexible as we age. However, you can always improve flexibility if you work at it. Yoga is a great way to increase flexibility, balance, and core strength. I know macho men will laugh, but it works.

I'm 48, wrestled in high school and am fortunate to have been pretty flexible my whole life. I'm 6'1 and 225, but I can easily squat way below parallel when back and front squatting. That's all to say I think flexibility is somewhat genetic. My college roomate was pretty tight like you described, but a phenomenal and explsovie football player.

Unfotrtunately, the only way to rehab a chronic hamstring injury is with rest, and that is gonna be tough with hunting season just starting. My daughter is a top 5 nationally ranked Olympic weightlifter, and she experienced a bad hamstring pull/tear a couple years ago. Hers went way up high under her glute at the attachment point. Even with 2x weekly rehab, electric stim, ice, heat, you name the therapy, she couldn't compete anywhere near 100%. Professional athletes with bad hamstring pulls are often sidelined on full lower body rest for up to 6 weeks.

At this point, with a busy season coming up, you're probably just gonna have to pop ibuprofen like candy and keep some penetrex or aspercreme stick handy to get by. You can always rest in the off season right?

Mobility is huge. That is coming from a guy who is about as flexible as a board. I’m also feeling more aches and pains as I get older.

The few years I focused on mobility I really felt better. Now it’s time for me to stop being a hypocrite and start working on being more flexible.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
If you saw the women in that class you wouldn’t want to be single. Amazing how fast cycle classes get me in shape for climbing mountains! They suck but they work!

Do some stretching and pilates / yoga combonation. Its key to mobility

Compound movements bud.

But dont skip weights day.

Yes you got old.

Do something about it now before it becomes a bigger problem. Yoga/stretching of some sort every day, tons of targeted routines on YouTube.
I’ve always been fairly flexible, can put my palms on the ground and all that, but had tight hamstrings/hips that only got tighter with age. I never really did anything about it and they led to a back injury (never had back issues in my life, but hamstrings/hips/lower back are all connected). I now stretch every day and can feel it if I don’t, but even then can still feel where I hurt my back. I think if I would have done something before the injury, I would have been fine. Now I’ll probably feel it for life.
I know a guy that tore a hamstring while hunting. It’s definitely not something you want to do!

dtrkyman

WKR
I have had a really tight achilles lately, got some tiger balm patches, they look like over sizer band aids infused with the balm, helping quite a bit!

Tiger Balm has worked better than cnd for me personally with little nagging injuries.

Last edited:
Agree with the suggestions to work on mobility. Stretching, yoga, etc.

Your body is like plumbing. The older you get the more you have to chase the problems around the system to fix things entirely. A good physical therapist can be super helpful. In working with one have learned a lot including that pain on one side of the body can be caused by imbalance on the other.

Good luck with the hamstring!

As we age flexibility becomes vastly important. My leg workouts have changed over the years from bulk building to a lot of flexibility movements with resistance training. I also change up my leg workouts weekly to to maintain muscle confusion. As a former college fb player I’ve had tight hams and it’s no fun. Try a wooden rolling pin from your kitchen. Target the area, you’ll know when you hit it. You may be surprised after a few weeks of rolling. At 52, I do everything I can to prevent similar issues. Good luck.

HTNFSH

FNG
Something I found with all muscles is they need water. I don't drink nearly enough, but when I do hydrate well and consistently for a few days, week...everything feels better.

Especially recovery from workouts.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Duckman23

FNG
Find a good PT and have them do some ROM and strength testing with you for a mobility program. You’d be surprised what muscles and imbalances do to hide where issues actually are. At the minimum beginning stretching and yoga will be good for you. I’ve probably ridden 100k on a road bike as well and without mobility work it will affect hips, hamstrings and etc