My recent knife builds for Xmas

Pn8hall

WKR
Cranked out a few Xmas presents for some pals this year. I am no expert and still have a lot to learn but very happy with how these turned out. These pics are before sharpening and final wipe down but still look sharp. AEB-L steel at 62RC with flat grind. Osage Orange from a log my buddy gave me from his stabe log for the self bow he is building, Slate gray and black G10 and Ironwood for the other.

Attachments

• IMG_2643.jpeg
    IMG_2643.jpeg
    547.4 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_2647.jpeg
    IMG_2647.jpeg
    661.8 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_2650.jpeg
    IMG_2650.jpeg
    509.4 KB · Views: 200
OP
P

Pn8hall

WKR
Thanks guys. It really is a fun hobby. Have 16 more that just came back from heat treat so more pics to come soon. Gonna be doing a few bird and trouts along with my 1st few Canadien belt knives.

jpmulk

WKR
What was your startup cost to get into this? Starting to get interested seeing everyone’s posts on here with some sharp (pun intended) looking knives.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Your 2 uncles are very wise men it sounds. Very nice looking, would make great skinners. I own property in MO, if you ever need some Osage Orange, let me know. I am usually there in the spring and then the fall.

OP
P

Pn8hall

WKR
What was your startup cost to get into this? Starting to get interested seeing everyone’s posts on here with some sharp (pun intended) looking knives.
I started with a cheap 2x42 Craftsman belt grinder but it just ran way too fast so I quickly moved up to a 2x72 belt grinder. A buddy was wanting to take up the hobby so he bought a 2x72 from Origin Blade Maker and had about $1500 into it. I gave him the space in my shop to set it up and got use of it. We used it for about a year and he ended up moving to Sweden so I had to start over so I got a build kit from Becks Armory and have just over a grand in my new 2x72 with variable speed. I find myself using the 2x72 almost every day for other stuff as well so its been a great addition to the shop. Lots of guys start out with a cheap 1x30 or 2x42 and turn out amazing knives so it can be done. Of course I decided I needed all sorts of other tools to make things faster so as a portaband and table, disc grinder, etc so if I really added it all up I bet there is easy 2 grand in it all maybe more. If you are a patient person it can all be done with an angle grinder, basic belt sander, and hand files by building a simple file guide for the bevels. If you have any specific questions shoot me a pm and I will be happy to answer best I can or at least what has worked for me.

OP
P

Pn8hall

WKR
Your 2 uncles are very wise men it sounds. Very nice looking, would make great skinners. I own property in MO, if you ever need some Osage Orange, let me know. I am usually there in the spring and then the fall.
I would be interested for sure in some more Osage. Would even trade you a knife for some. Lets chat over PM sometime about details. I live in St. Louis but lease ground in Northern MO about 30 miles due west of Macon and am up there for spring turkey and during fall as well.

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
Do you cut them out of sheet metal? I have tried to make a few knives with limited tools, so I didn’t get too far with grinds ect. But I like seeing your work! Your doing a great job!

DroptineDC18

Lil-Rokslider
Like others that do this, I am quite envious of this skill! Remarkable craftsmanship and beautiful knives!

OP
P

Pn8hall

WKR
Do you cut them out of sheet metal? I have tried to make a few knives with limited tools, so I didn’t get too far with grinds ect. But I like seeing your work! Your doing a great job!
Yes these are all stock removal knives. I buy flat stock in the width and thickness I want and then rough cut the shape on a portaband saw and finish shaping them on my 2x72 belt grinder. I then lay out my pin locations and drill them. I then send out the blanks to be professionally heat treated to my specs and do all the bevel grinding post heat treat. Its a slow process but very rewarding in the end.

Have another in the works here. A Canadien Belt Knife again in Aeb-l. Blue canyon Richlite handles with G-10 liners. This is my 1st belt knife and overall i think it turned out pretty good.
I will have to try out a Canadian belt knife someday, along with something in AEBL. But wow, that one sure is pretty! Very nice work.

OP
P

Pn8hall

WKR
Here another small edc i am working on today also. Not super happy with handle yet so will probably sand on it some more. Its Gagarin Composites Micarta

Attachments

• IMG_2680.jpeg
    IMG_2680.jpeg
    485.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2681.jpeg
    IMG_2681.jpeg
    728.4 KB · Views: 44