My thoughts on the current alpha rangefinding binos (Zeiss Victory RF, Leica 3200.com, Swarovski El Range)

I didn't ask dryfly, I asked 406. You wanna take a stab at it? Nice dodge though.

I've owned the Leica 2200, which sucked, the Sig Kilo3000, Nikon Laserforce, the Sig BDX 2200, Swaro 8x30. Leupold TBX 1200 and 1600. I currently use a 10x50 Swaro SV and 2200 BDX which runs circles around the Leica 2200 I had.

Lol, I did not dodge anything and you know it. Based on your previous response, you may just be poor at communicating your thoughts, as you clearly stated misinformation. That may have been unintentional, but that could mislead many here considering the number of people on Rokslide. I simply don't care for the misinformation, and frankly your statements did make you look like you had no idea what you were talking about. I was clearly not the only one here with that impression. But hey, it is clearly hashed out now.

JGRaider

WKR
Here's the third time I've answered this for you (feel free to bookmark this in case you forget in the next 24 hours, haha):

I already knew the answer the first time I asked. Without a Kestrel the answer is zero, nothing, nada as far as wind holds. Just curious why you call the Sig readouts "garbage"?

Q child

WKR
Wow. Thank you Dryflyelk for the thoughtful write up. Much appreciated. This type of review is when online forums are really helpful - especially for someone like me who, due to my location, cannot simply go to the store and get my hands on gear.
Please let us know which you end up with.

JGRaider

WKR
You're right, I do know what works, including what you wrote.

As to your blanket statement that static holds are garbage, well that's BS. Yes, a wind meter is utopia, but static hold data is better than nothing at all, which was my point. Yes, reality will tell you that many times the wind does match up with what the input is......happens all the time. Hunters with simple math skills and shooting experience in the field can adjust, to a point, when things aren't lining up very well. When you can't call the wind.....guess what......you don't shoot .......unless it's vermin like hogs, 'yotes, etc.

PredatorX

WKR
I do wish the focus knob was a little more ergo friendly on the leicas. Seems Zeiss put more thought into that.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

fatbacks

WKR
I really like my geovids. I have the HDB 3000. Biggest gripe is the ballistic data on sd card. Would’ve really liked to update via Bluetooth.

For quicker real world hunting engagements 600yds and in I really value this tool - even if it doesn’t have a kestrel built into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Thanks OP good write up. I also tried all 3 brands like you. I did it through friends purchases and was able to put them all to use in the field on hunting and scouting trips last season. I’m lucky to have some really good buddies.

After using all 3 in several trips I will be purchasing the Zeiss.

Ohearchai

FNG
OP, thanks for the writeup, been hankering for a set off the 3200.com. Ranging ability, great, glass, bluetooth to the kestrel. But it seems they got pushed out the door with gremlins, problems with the ranging, bluetooth conectivity poor, not for the price.

OP
D

dryflyelk

FNG
Here’s the pics for the dude who thought I was lying. Ha!

66db5a2323515690507d8e1c81acaf11.jpg
f6a0ce7529c6c79c64ec0d05d134005f.jpg
d5497c015e41fd64728320c9a2dc8002.jpg
dfca9d08ad25a72566fda317b949bda4.jpg
c80e43b99012164b6d831471d372359a.jpg
091b9ce274d69bd0e5f6bc96d4c5319c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
D

dryflyelk

FNG
I was able to borrow a set of the Zeiss Victory RF a few days ago, so I've been able to do some head to head comparisons of these 3 over the last couple of days. What follows is a very unscientific summary of whatmy 44 year old eyes could see. I also didn't have these on a tripod, which would have helped a ton, so buyer beware. Your mileage may vary.

I set up a few resolution charts about 50 yards away from my front porch. During the minutes of low light right i dusk, I did a whole lot of comparison between these three.

My first overwhelming conclusion: there's not much difference between these 3 optically. I had convinced myself that the swaro El Range was outdated and not as great as some others. While i do notice a difference between the el Range and the EL Swarovision binos, it was really really hard to pick out much difference between the Swaros and the Leica and Zeiss. There are small differences in the sweet spot and the edge clarity and the cast of the hues, but it is so stinking small.

The only real difference i saw was literally in the last 2 or 3 minutes of visible light. The Zeiss and Leica were able to resolve just a hair longer than the swaros. And really - i had to try really hard to see any differences between any of them optically.

If you're on the fence and want to upgrade simply due to optics, I'd hold off. It's not worth it. If you want the ballistic stuff in the zeiss and leica, then it's probably worth it.

Anyway, a few of the other differences. The ergonomics are quite different between the 3. The swaros were like an old friend since I've used them for so many hundreds of hours, so i can't be unbiased. They felt the most comfortable to me because they were the most familiar.

Between the other 2, the Zeiss, for me, was considerably more comfortable to hold. The focus on the zeiss was better than the leica - more precise and smooth. The leica will probably break in with use, but as is now, it was stiffer and trickier to find that perfect spot. It was "spongy". The Zeiss could dial it right in.

Button placement - it is perfect on the Leica. Easy index finger push. On the zeiss, it will take some getting used to. It's further down where the ring finger sits, so to zap something, you'd have to get used to gripping them further down the barrel or hitting it with a different finger.

My honest opinion is that i wish swaro would come out with their version soon, because i'd own it for sure. In the meantime, I'll be running the Zeiss. Because they are more expensive, i'll look for a used set or a demo or something and try to get a good deal, then likely sell them when swaro comes out with theirs, for no other reason than i love swaro as a company, the rest of my stuff is swaro, and they've treated me like gold over the years.

Zeiss's phone app is also light years better than Leica's. I'm sure Leica's will catch up, but Zeiss has them beat right now. The Zeiss app has a lot of fluff that nobody will ever use, but the base ranging stuff and bino syncing stuff is easy and straight forward. I continue to have issues with the Leica functionality. I think i got a defective unit.

If anybody has questions, let me know and i'd be happy to help.

Great info...I'm on the fence on whether I want biinos with RF or separate. Any idea what Swarovski might incorporate into a new version and if it's something in the near future?

OutdoorAg

WKR
Great info...I'm on the fence on whether I want biinos with RF or separate. Any idea what Swarovski might incorporate into a new version and if it's something in the near future?
No direct knowledge, but just be prepared. When it does hit, I fully expect Swaro asking price to push $4K. At that price point, and the continued rising price points of the RF bins, I'm fully into the camp of wanting 2 devices - good "lifetime" binos, and good RF that is replaceable when the tech gets better or the device takes a dump.

If I was a full time guide and NEEDED, for my clients, for my job - to give ranges while watching game, then yes - RF bin.

For the hunter/shooter looking to have range finding capabilities, the stand alone RF is the ticket, IMO.

JGRaider

WKR
No direct knowledge, but just be prepared. When it does hit, I fully expect Swaro asking price to push $4K. At that price point, and the continued rising price points of the RF bins, I'm fully into the camp of wanting 2 devices - good "lifetime" binos, and good RF that is replaceable when the tech gets better or the device takes a dump.

If I was a full time guide and NEEDED, for my clients, for my job - to give ranges while watching game, then yes - RF bin.

For the hunter/shooter looking to have range finding capabilities, the stand alone RF is the ticket, IMO.

I could not agree more. Great points.