MYOG Tyvek Tarp

Hey all!

I'm curious if anyone has tried to sew up a tarp from Tyvek. I have an extra roll from a project and made some game bags from it, but I wonder what the thoughts are surrounding using Tyvek for a tarp.

What size do you all find is good for solo backcountry hunts? 7x9?

Does anyone know the seam/stitch type used to create the tarp?

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
There are a ton of different ways to sew a ridgeline seam in a tarp but this is a popular choice by a tarp manufacturer:

I don't think Tyvek would be my first choice for a tarp, but it would be excellent for prototyping and getting some practice! I made mine out of 1.6 oz silpoly https://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/1-6-oz-silpoly. I based mine on the Seek Outside DST which is 9x9 and it's quite spacious for myself during summer backpacking and archery elk in September. I can get three sides on the ground and fit all my gear + my bug bivy underneath when there is bad weather. Another popular size is something like Kifaru's Sheep Tarp (9x5) which is half the weight and doesn't require a ridgeline seam!

I’ve made a few tarps for friends with tyvek. There are just square tarps so no sewing. One was a 7x7 and I thought it was really too small to do anything but hide from a rain storm. I also made a 9x9 that seemed to be a much better size. The next one I build will be a 9x9 but I’m going to run para cord in the folded seem to add strength. The Tyvek has stood up to Alaska so it works.

OP
finsandfeathers
There are a ton of different ways to sew a ridgeline seam in a tarp but this is a popular choice by a tarp manufacturer:

I don't think Tyvek would be my first choice for a tarp, but it would be excellent for prototyping and getting some practice! I made mine out of 1.6 oz silpoly https://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/1-6-oz-silpoly. I based mine on the Seek Outside DST which is 9x9 and it's quite spacious for myself during summer backpacking and archery elk in September. I can get three sides on the ground and fit all my gear + my bug bivy underneath when there is bad weather. Another popular size is something like Kifaru's Sheep Tarp (9x5) which is half the weight and doesn't require a ridgeline seam!
Thanks for the tip on the material and dimensions, I may try to get the shape down with the tyvek I have before placing an order with folks at ripstopbytheroll.com.

dyland

FNG
I like the idea of avoiding seams if possible! Or do a good job on the top seam sew job and seam sealing after the fact.

I have a artisan 797 which does awesome for all my DIY stuff but for waterproof things you need specialty walking feet and smaller needles. Otherwise you'll be putting hundreds of holes just big enough to keep you good and soaked haha

rafiki

FNG
haven't done one but was researching this recently and seems like the recommendation is to use a glue instead of sewing for the seams. i think there's a tyvek specific adhesive that they use.