Mystery ranch pop up 28 and tree stand

Im currently looking for a new "day pack" for hunting. I hunt mostly archery tree stand in eastern us (Ohio) and some spot/stalk. Has anyone used the mystery ranch pop up 28 to carry their tree stand (I have a summit openshot) with any sort of luck and basic hunting supplies? How did it do?

Krumfola

FNG
I’ve been eyeing the pop-up myself but the 28 just seems way too small. The pop-up 38 is slightly bigger but still only 2300 cubic inches. That’s barely big enough to put heavy outerwear with the rest of your gear for late season hunts.

I have carried a stand with mine, strapped to the frame on the meat shelf along with 4-5 sticks. I have also packed a quartered deer or a few. They can handle 60#+. They are great for a short trip. Not as stable as a full size frame pack but much more compact in daypack mode. I take mine anytime I think there is a chance to come home heavy.

I started with a 28 when they came out but upped to a 38. I filled the smaller pack up too quickly, especially when I started hauling layers.

Macintosh

WKR
Late to the party, but I have a pop up 18, which I love. Apparently they no longer make this size, but yes, its small for bulky clothes. I use the load shelf to carry sticks (horizontally, short 2-step sticks) and a saddle platform, but I dont carry my tree stands on any pack—I have found the weight distribution far, far better by carrying the stand on backpack straps and then attaching sticks and a small pack to the back of the stand. It gets cold here (northern new england), when I carry warm bibs, etc in for a sit I stuff them into a stuffsack and strap that to the top of the pack or onto the stand. If you are really careful packing I bet you could use a 28, but if you really bundle up or like to bring the kitchen sink im sure its small.
The only exception to this is my wife has a smallish ladder stand. I managed to put the entire ladder stand in pieces into the load shelf and carry it in that way one time. Weight wise that was fine, but size-wise that was pushing it.

schmalzy

WKR
Im currently looking for a new "day pack" for hunting. I hunt mostly archery tree stand in eastern us (Ohio) and some spot/stalk. Has anyone used the mystery ranch pop up 28 to carry their tree stand (I have a summit openshot) with any sort of luck and basic hunting supplies? How did it do?

I bought a pop up 28 specifically for this reason. Works great! Can easily pack out a quartered WT with the climber/lock-on in one trip. Pack works well in the stand too. Very pleased with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt G.

WKR
i use the popup 38 and pack a lw Hand climber in between bag and frame. i also use same set up for my sale gear as well laying sticks sideways. i got the 38 for the extra pockets. like others say, fitting the heavier gear can be issue but you can use accessory strap and attach outside. frame is comfy so issue carrying the weight.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Bandit06

FNG
I have a pop up 28 for whitetail hunting in ohio. It’s perfect for me. Yes it’s too small for bulky clothing, but I put that between the bag and frame if needed. I use a single millennium hang on stand with brackets already installed, or a lone wolf hand climber and it’s perfect to put the stand between the frame and bag for the pack in. I wish it had a few more pockets for dedicated whitetail hunting, but overall I haven’t found anything better.

Macintosh

WKR
You guys who are carrying a tree stand in the load shelf, I'm not sure familiar withthe shape of a hand climber so maybe that makes a difference, but for any hang-on doesnt it sit really high and snag on stuff as you duck under branches, etc? Are you letting the pack and hipbelt sag really low to avoid this, or just dont need to duck under brush much, or?

schmalzy

WKR
You guys who are carrying a tree stand in the load shelf, I'm not sure familiar withthe shape of a hand climber so maybe that makes a difference, but for any hang-on doesnt it sit really high and snag on stuff as you duck under branches, etc? Are you letting the pack and hipbelt sag really low to avoid this, or just dont need to duck under brush much, or?

I don’t let mine sag, maybe drops just slightly below hip belt. It sticks up just slightly above my head but nothing I worry about. I bump into some brush and branches but really hasn’t been an issue snagging on anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macintosh

WKR
Interesting. Maybe just different where Im hunting a lot, that would drive me nuts, snagging on leaning alders, young hemlocks, etc is a big issue for me if anything is above or around my head and shoulders. Thats the main reason I love my PU 18 is the pack itself is so low-profile.

Qball89

FNG
I have a pop up 28 for whitetail hunting in ohio. It’s perfect for me. Yes it’s too small for bulky clothing, but I put that between the bag and frame if needed. I use a single millennium hang on stand with brackets already installed, or a lone wolf hand climber and it’s perfect to put the stand between the frame and bag for the pack in. I wish it had a few more pockets for dedicated whitetail hunting, but overall I haven’t found anything better.
I’ve been eyeing the pop ups for a couple years now but just can’t pull the trigger. I hunt in western pa and typically carry either a light lock on and sticks or a saddle and sticks. I like the idea of sandwiching them between the frame and pack but from what I can tell, the pack is just basically a single pocket. Is that pretty accurate? I just don’t like having everything stuck in one pocket because it never fails that whatever I need out of the pack always seems to be at the bottom. Have you experienced this is does it not seem to be too bad in this regard? Thanks for your time.

Bandit06

FNG
I’ve been eyeing the pop ups for a couple years now but just can’t pull the trigger. I hunt in western pa and typically carry either a light lock on and sticks or a saddle and sticks. I like the idea of sandwiching them between the frame and pack but from what I can tell, the pack is just basically a single pocket. Is that pretty accurate? I just don’t like having everything stuck in one pocket because it never fails that whatever I need out of the pack always seems to be at the bottom. Have you experienced this is does it not seem to be too bad in this regard? Thanks for your time.

The main bag is one big pocket. However, there is a water bladder sleeve inside that I use as organization since I don’t carry a bladder. I put my kill kit, wet wipes, and bow repair kit in there. There is also a pocket in the lid that I use for gloves, snacks, rangefinder, or other things I need quick access too. The front pocket has a mesh organizer inside, I put a grunt call, bow hanger, hand saw, hand warmers, and a phone charger in the organizer then have room to spare in the big pocket and typically put my tree tether there. I use one of the water bottle pouches for a bottle, and the other for my bow rope or other items I need as I go up the tree. I also added two belt pouches for keys, Wallet, wind checker type items.

That usually leaves the main bag with only binoculars and a rain jacket or light extra layers if needed. The bulky clothes (Cabela’s Wooltimate) go between the bag and frame.

Also, for the guys wondering about the stand sticking up, a lone wolf hand climber doesn’t really stick up above the frame at all. A millennium M60 hang on will stick up but about to the top of my head (I’m 5’9”). I don’t let the bag sag, I wear it normal with the frame popped up. I was used to carrying a summit climber and this setup is way more compact thru the brush.

Qball89

FNG
The main bag is one big pocket. However, there is a water bladder sleeve inside that I use as organization since I don’t carry a bladder. I put my kill kit, wet wipes, and bow repair kit in there. There is also a pocket in the lid that I use for gloves, snacks, rangefinder, or other things I need quick access too. The front pocket has a mesh organizer inside, I put a grunt call, bow hanger, hand saw, hand warmers, and a phone charger in the organizer then have room to spare in the big pocket and typically put my tree tether there. I use one of the water bottle pouches for a bottle, and the other for my bow rope or other items I need as I go up the tree. I also added two belt pouches for keys, Wallet, wind checker type items.

That usually leaves the main bag with only binoculars and a rain jacket or light extra layers if needed. The bulky clothes (Cabela’s Wooltimate) go between the bag and frame.

Also, for the guys wondering about the stand sticking up, a lone wolf hand climber doesn’t really stick up above the frame at all. A millennium M60 hang on will stick up but about to the top of my head (I’m 5’9”). I don’t let the bag sag, I wear it normal with the frame popped up. I was used to carrying a summit climber and this setup is way more compact thru the brush.
Wow I didn’t realize that the pack had that much organization. Good call on the water bladder sleeve. I don’t carry one either, but somehow didn’t even think of it as being basically another pocket because of it. It sure seems like there is plenty of organization for the types of day hunts that I do. Thank you very much for the thorough reply!

ethan

WKR
I’ve been using a MR pop up 28 for a few years now and I think it’s perfect for this. It does get a little small when I start adding layers and it’s nit a big deal to just put my extra layers in between the bag and frame just like my hang on.

Qball89

FNG
I’m guessing it may be a little small then when it gets cold. I would be packing my stand or saddle at sticks between the frame and the pack. Maybe the 38 would be a better fit to be prepared for the winter. I appreciate your input!

Venom One

WKR
I had MR Pop up 28 and used it to carry my tree stand, but I hated the bag so much I sold it. It was too small and the opening at the top isn't very convenient for getting stuff out without dumping everything out. Structure-wise, it handles a tree stand fine, but the bag just sucks IMO. The 38 might be better - looks like it has a side zipper - but lots of extra material with little purpose from what I could tell.

TheHammer

WKR
I enjoy my 28, I use a saddle and 3 sticks. I am in central Wi, so it can get cold (-10&lower) and I use a layer system. Hunt public land all day sits. Sometimes have chest waiters and insulated boots with, I have no issues with the pack size and believe it’s a great pack.

DooleyVT

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a PU38 off here a few months back and so far I really like it. Super comfortable with sticks and a saddle platform for me and plenty of room for layers when needed.

PAPublic

FNG
Way late to the party but bought a PU28 after reading this thread. It was perfect for carrying my Summit Openshot (upside down) or a hang on. It is too small for all my public land whitetail gear & clothes when it get cold (pack heavy for long hikes & all day sits). I ended fitting all my gear and early season layers in the bag fine. Late season I put layers in a dry bag and strapped in the load shelf. The hip belt could be just a little better IMO but overall I’m pleased and my best whitetail bag system yet.

cmatzek

FNG
my 10yr old Alps bag just came apart at the seams and definitely leaning towards the MR 28 for my public land deer hunting.