Mystery Ranch Pop Up 38 - 2020 Pack Info

First place I've seen this so far. Interesting looking pack.

The innovative POP-UP 38 pack with its transforming frame allows multi-day hunters to haul out meat via the OVERLOAD SHELF™. This 38L pack facilitates the hunter's needing a larger pack option with the same game-changing frame. It features a large main compartment which can be accessed via a top loading shroud or by the full-length side zipper. A two-part lid keeps key items within reach and also helps to secure and protect spotting scopes and tripods stashed in the outer, compressible pocket (also ideal for storing a puffy or rain gear.) Dual side pockets hold trekking poles, water bottles or longer tripods. Autolock buckles and compression straps throughout cinch down firmly to prevent slippage. The unique telescoping frame changes from low profile to maximum load listing in seconds.

Features of the Pop-Up 38:
• 330D LP CORDURA® & 330D CORDUA® (Subalpine)
• YKK® zippers
• Pop-Up Frame feature with telescoping frame using trekking pole technology
• OVERLOAD™ feature
• Telescoping yoke for cusom torso fit
• Top-loading shroud with full length zipper for main compartment access
• Autolock buckles prevent slippage
• Lid with zippered pockets
• Side water bottle, rifle or tripod pockets
• Compressible back pocket for quick access to optics or layers
• Bottom, top and side compression straps
SPECS:

Volume: 45 L (2746 cu-in)
Weight: 5.3 lb (2.4 kg)
Frame System: Pop-Up Frame
Intended Use: Backpack Hunts, Load-Hauling"

Last edited:
OP
It looks like the Pop Up 28 frame is getting the same treatment this year. I'm glad to see they're getting rid of the noisy pockets on this line of packs.

Pop Up 38 frame

jhayes6405

Lil-Rokslider
Mystery Ranch keeps getting better. I had sworn them off years ago, but now I'm back. Wish I had known about this before getting a smaller custom bag for my Guide Light frame.

adamm88

WKR
Ugh, looks like what im looking for but other things are priority right now, maybe in a few months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at the pics and reading the description, it appears the frame extensions now slide out and click into place instead of the current folding design. Pretty slick enhancement.

I am on the fence with this one. My 28 fills up too fast once it gets cold and I start hauling layers but this thing is close in capacity to my sawtooth. If I was starting over, it would be a no-brainer but I am not sure it is worth the price for the upgrade.

Trial153

WKR
I am sure it will check some boxes for some poeple.
Personally I feel that going to packs with this much volume defeats the purpose of a smaller more streamline pack.
I like the pop up 18 I have for day pack. If I need capacity from a bag this size I most likey just take a full frame off the rack.

One thing they did do right is keep the weight down, this pop up 38 is lot of pack for the weight
Seems like great price point as well..

elkyinzer

WKR
I'm a little giddy about this one. Been calling for this size since the 28 came out. The 28 has been my whitetail pack since it came out, but the capacity gets a little tight when I am packing in a bunch of cold weather gear along with my sticks and saddle platform. Also it handles a whole deer sorta ok, but it's pretty tight. This one will be the perfect capacity for me I think. Interested to see how the new frame works.

JW619Y0.jpg

FWIW I realize these pop up packs and MR packs in general are not the lightest opinion. However, I feel significantly less encumbered wearing my pop up 28 than my sawtooth on a guidelight frame with the same load, even though they weigh roughly the same unloaded. It is just a smaller footprint on my back and a smaller frame. Having said that, the larger pack handles a heavy load much better.

I really like my 28 but it just doesn’t hold enough gear when I start hauling jackets and what not to stay warm in the back half of my northeastern whitetail season from late November to early January.

I was trying to avoid it, but I think I am going to end up buying one of these packs.

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
This looks pretty close to the capacity of the pintler.

I'd be interested to find out how have pintler owners found it as far as running it for multi day hunts or winter overnight trips?

I had a pintler and now a sawtooth. Depending on how you pack, it can work. You can pack your camp stuff in a bag on the shelf. For me, it is a pain to get in and out of the camp bag and it shifts around. It works but I just prefer a larger bag for longer trips.

As a daypack, a pintler works as well. The full size frame has some bulk to it.

I have a pop up 28. It can haul a load but not as well as a full frame. It is smaller, less bulky and more comfortable as a daypack

Which is better comes down to preference. If you are going to use it as a hauler all the time I would go pintler. If you want a daypack that can haul a load of meat on rare occasions, the pop up is a good option.

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
I have the pintler and the Marshall. I love the pintler as a day pack or overnighter. it’s a excellent pack