Mystery ranch pop up

Looking at picking up a pop up. Trying to decide between the 28 and 38. I hunt in Illinois so it does get cold and will be carrying extra layers. Also would like to carry my hang on on the meat shelf. Anyone have any comments or suggestions?

I started with a 28 and jumped to 38 to get my winter layers in the pack. if I were buying now, I would go 38. Easy to strap down the extra capacity when I carry less gear.

FWIW I have had better luck strapping my stands to the outside of the pack. I put my sticks on the meat shelf centered with excess high out the top. Stand on after that on the back outside of the pack.

OP
B
Thank you I feel this is the way I wanna go. I appreciate your input. Once I get cleared I will look at the classified section and see if I can buy one on here

tony

WKR
Camofire just ran the new 30 and 40 pop ups on sale. Today they have the older 28 and 38s for sale.

Dvor has the pintler and sawtooth at 50% off. 2500-2600 CI packs and the guide lite frame.

Depending on what type of winter layers you have, it could be tight even in a 38. Overalls and a jacket, if they aren’t down insulation, are some real bulky items.

OP
B
Open for more suggestions. I’ve read through a few forums. I only day hunt and have a relative short walk. I I drag my deer out and like to carry my stand on my pack (just haven’t found a good one yet) may buy my first saddle setup this year

I honestly think a KUIU 3600 or 4000 when on sale would serve your purpose. They are pretty compact frames, especially if you get a frame size slightly shorter than the chart says.

Given that you don’t pack meat out, there are a lot of options really. Honestly, a surplus ILBE would work. Plenty of room for layers and more straps than a logging truck to lash stuff on. They can also haul white tail for a short distance in the pack if you need to.