Mystery Ranch terraframe 65

I am wanting to set up a few spike camps this year but only have a day pack. I am on a pretty limited budget and moosejaw has the terraframe 65 for just under $300. I know everyone has a $500+ pack they recommend. But I am wondering if anyone has any experience with that pack in a hunting or backpacking setting, or has a recommendation on a pack in a similar price range and size.

I am wanting to set up a few spike camps this year but only have a day pack. I am on a pretty limited budget and moosejaw has the terraframe 65 for just under $300. I know everyone has a $500+ pack they recommend. But I am wondering if anyone has any experience with that pack in a hunting or backpacking setting, or has a recommendation on a pack in a similar price range and size.

It is basically a smaller version of the Marshall and a little bigger than the Selway but without a camo option. It has the same frame as the hunting specific packs. Great value!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I didn’t know they came out with a 65 liter. That’s an awesome value. Don’t think you can do better that money.

Get an Active Junky account and save an additional 10%.

I picked one up a few weeks ago on Facebook marketplace from a NOLS instructor who was selling it for $200 NWT. Figured I couldn’t pass it up. Used it last weekend with the family on a backpacking trip and I really like it. Used the load shelf to pack two tents and some sleeping bags (kids are 9,7,5 so not self sufficient yet). I really like the pockets and lid. Has the side stretch pockets that hold a Nalgene size bottle easily which is a must for me. It’s the same frame as the hunting line but the bags are a lighter cordura which is a non issue for me since I don’t get out 100 days a year. Under $300 seems like a very good price.

It has the frame to carry $150 pounds and has similar construction as their hunting line packs. Great value. I just picked up a Terraframe 50 a couple weeks ago and I think it will be awesome. The 50 will be plenty for me for up to 4 days but I pack light.

Good price on a great pack. You can plus up the volume by using the meat shelf if you need.

OP
T
I picked one up a few weeks ago on Facebook marketplace from a NOLS instructor who was selling it for $200 NWT. Figured I couldn’t pass it up. Used it last weekend with the family on a backpacking trip and I really like it. Used the load shelf to pack two tents and some sleeping bags (kids are 9,7,5 so not self sufficient yet). I really like the pockets and lid. Has the side stretch pockets that hold a Nalgene size bottle easily which is a must for me. It’s the same frame as the hunting line but the bags are a lighter cordura which is a non issue for me since I don’t get out 100 days a year. Under $300 seems like a very good price.

wow $200, you got a steal for sure. Good to know it worked well for you.

johnw3474

FNG

Comparing the Selway 60 and Terraframe 65 on MR website, both packs are made the same 330D Lite Plus CORDURA according to specifications tab. I was trying to figure out why the backpacking bags were cheaper, and I initally assumed it was lighter weight materials, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Comparing the Selway 60 and Terraframe 65 on MR website, both packs are made the same 330D Lite Plus CORDURA according to specifications tab. I was trying to figure out why the backpacking bags were cheaper, and I initally assumed it was lighter weight materials, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

The general backpacking community won’t pay the premium the hunting community will is the primary reason for the price difference. Then it is only in solids and no camo are the two main reasons.

Because there is no difference other than cosmetic is why I chose to save a huge amount of money and bought a Terraframe 50 in close out from Sierra.com for $229 a few months ago. It was a great purchase and I have packed out 3 field dressed whitetails so far ranging from about 80-140 pounds.
80808ddc30bbef6f0984c76c69badea2.jpg

kbraune

FNG
I have this pack and can't recommend it enough. Used to for a 4 day backcountry fly fishing trip where I carried my gear and most of my wife's. Didn't even have to use the loadout shelf. I had some initial discomfort but once I got the fit right, it was perfect. As stated above, awesome pack!

Gophs

FNG
I’m looking at getting a Pintler or Metcalf but seeing this post is making me take a look at the Terraframe 50... are there any features that I’m losing by going terraframe over pintler? Looks like a little different organization in the main pocket

This is a hidden gem for hunters, all the features of a hunting pack except the camo option and way less. I had one for awhile and used it quite often. A fellow can't go wrong with this pack.

Gophs

FNG
Glad I found this thread! Is the frame that comes with the Terraframe usable with a Mule bag for day hunts? I know it’s the new MT frame, but does it use the same attachment points as the hunting bags?

mwf008

Lil-Rokslider
There’s been multiple threads on this. Yes, terraframes are great. They use a slightly less durable denier than the hunting line, otherwise they’re the same. I love mine.

JD619er

WKR
There’s been multiple threads on this. Yes, terraframes are great. They use a slightly less durable denier than the hunting line, otherwise they’re the same. I love mine.
As stated above they actually use the same 330d lite plus fabric at the most of the hunting line

JD619er

WKR
Glad I found this thread! Is the frame that comes with the Terraframe usable with a Mule bag for day hunts? I know it’s the new MT frame, but does it use the same attachment points as the hunting bags?
Yes the new model terraframe has the same exact attachment points on the guidelight mt frame. A mule will work fine.

I’m looking at getting a Pintler or Metcalf but seeing this post is making me take a look at the Terraframe 50... are there any features that I’m losing by going terraframe over pintler? Looks like a little different organization in the main pocket

Same pack solid colors 500 cubic inches larger.

EmperorMA

WKR
I have a Terraframe 65. Great pack that works extremely well for me on trips up to five days. I have carried a weighed 138 lbs in it without trouble.

I also have the Pintler bag-only option that I attach to the frame for day hunting. I am sure the new version of the Mule bag-only fits perfectly, as well.

Absolutely the perfect combination for me for backpacking, travel and hunting.