Mystery Ranch Terraplane/Glacier Packs?

Alvin

FNG
Hello
I'm currently looking for a backpack for backcountry hunts. Being in Canada, and also on a tight budget, my options are limited.
I'm now looking at the Mystery Ranch Terraplane/Glacier packs. From what I heard, these are the backpacking/expedition packs of Mystery Ranch. I can get them for around us$200 new here.
Another alternative is a used Eberlestock Dragonfly, which I can score for around us$250.
If anyone has any experience with either packs, please give some suggestions. Any info will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Also, just to mention, Kifaru and MR Metcalf are nice packs, but they're very expensive to buy in Canada, even the base Kifaru models. So I'll probably not consider these.
Thanks again!

OP
A

Alvin

FNG
What about the mystery ranch terreframe? It is in the backpacking line but still has the overload shelf
That looks like a very nice pack, but it's over my budget unfortunately.
Overload shelf is a nice feature to have though.

My son and I are both using the Glacier and couldn’t be happier with it. During training I used up to 75lbs comfortably on 5 mile hikes. I added a Kifaru Grabit for additional capacity like the meat shelf of the metcalf but in reverse.
304b81e981eeb8cfedcfa3ef09427e80.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A used terraplane is a hell of a pack. They have been top of the heap in backpacking circles for over 25 years. Apart from not having a meat shelf, you are not really giving up much between a terraplane and a marshal.

Check eBay. You can find terraplane sitting in dusty closets that hardly ever saw a trail for $200. If you cleaned them up and tried them side by side with today’s $500 terraplane, you would be hard pressed to really tell the difference.

Another angle is to find a SATL. It was issued to the army and making its way to market in sufficient quantities to be around that 250 mark. It is heavier than the hunting line but will last for ever.

^^^ this or a past Dana design tend to still be bullet proof. Or if you really want something special you can find some older McHales for cheap and tend to impress me far more than most modern packs

jnwebb45

FNG
My son and I are both using the Glacier and couldn’t be happier with it. During training I used up to 75lbs comfortably on 5 mile hikes. I added a Kifaru Grabit for additional capacity like the meat shelf of the metcalf but in reverse.
304b81e981eeb8cfedcfa3ef09427e80.jpg

I am running the Terraplane for my first elk hunt this year. How do you have the Kifaru grabit attached to the pack? That looks like a great add on. Thanks

I am running the Terraplane for my first elk hunt this year. How do you have the Kifaru grabit attached to the pack? That looks like a great add on. Thanks

I ran it through the clips on the bottom of the bag that cinches the sleeping bag compartment. Then the open clips I have attached to the upper side compression strap. It works great.

ZDR

WKR
I sold my Dana ArcFlex Terraplane just last year and brought a Kifaru. I brought the terraplane new in '86-'87...I think it was the first year Dana came out with it. That pack was a load carrying monster. The foam in the back pad finally disintegrated and the new owner just replaced it with a piece cut from a foam sleeping bag pad.
Can't go wrong with the Terraplane.

That looks like a very nice pack, but it's over my budget unfortunately.
Overload shelf is a nice feature to have though.

Not sure how the whole Canada thing works but there are several websites selling last years (black) model of the Terraframe 80 for about the same prices as the Terraplane.