Native on a frame?

Hell all,
Have anyone mounted the Native on a duplex/hunting frame and used it as a daypack?
I am thinking about it, good size pack for day trips, pals makes me able to mount pockets if needed, thinking spotting pocket, that in a combination with a cargo panel, I feel you do end up with a slick, light, system that also makes you able to carry out a kill.

North

FNG
I use mine on my frame for cardio and I’m experimenting with using the Native along with a Grab It as a sort of cargo panel. In my opinion you wouldn’t need to add a full cargo panel as you get the rows of pals on the Native. I have both a cargo panel and grab it/Native and from messing around at home (just looking into this setup, haven’t tried with a load yet) I think functionally the Native/grab it combo is about the same as the cargo panel with less weight. You give up some capacity and a few PALs rows but it’s a cleaner and lighter setup. Another thing to consider is that the standard guide lid actually has a little more capacity than a Native. I’m looking at running both a standard guide lid and the Native with the grab it. However at this point the weight exceeds that of the Woodsman and once you add the camp bag it’s approaching Reckoning territory. The more I consider all the options the more I go back to just using a bag, however with the panel type setup you can carry treestands, small ground blinds, etc. All depends on what you want to accomplish.

OP
N
North,
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I know...adding a cargo panel and a lid, is pushing the weight close to a Woodsman.....But, what I have in mind is, day trips, light gear, and at the same time be able to bring out what I shoot.
I have been using a zippy on the frame, to get the comfort of the frame when caring heavy out.
When the Native is a lot lighter, I got thinking about getting on and using it on the frame, but as you say, using a Grab it and not the Cargo panel, will reduce weight even more.

Wolverine

Lil-Rokslider
Used the Native with a large and medium belt pouch on the back of it on my frame this year. Also had the grab-It for holding every thing tight and quick access to a jacket. Worked great as a day pack. In theory it would have worked great for packing out the first load of meat but I wasn't lucky enough to test that theory.

adK7jMibF6HkRRb-zZFjYWOpPcTjATa_8GwHAHBpPLwltR-E30eVRWHeMhXvdNKO5P5HCj2FUfm3DH3vE1yWMVsjmdxZMIt3Jl3FR3MG2M5GVOXA3idCkOfnvJ0fcGX8u1ateXOh7A=w725-h966-no

OP
N
I'll have to set it up and weigh it.

The advantage over the apollo and cargo panel is you still have the option to use the native without a frame.

Thanks for posting.
Looks great. As you say, the Native can be used as a pack, that was in my mind when I started thinking about this idea.
Think I will go for it.

North

FNG
Here is how I have mine set up with the Guide Lid and Native with details of how I've attached the Native to the frame using 6 compression straps. Note that the bottom of the Native can be attached directly to the frame with K clips but when you have the Native filled up and have a load between the Native and frame it's kind of weird, having the compression straps there to adjust the distance from the frame seems like the way to go.

I haven't used it in the field yet, but theoretically I love this setup. It takes seconds to drop the dry bag, you can pop the Native off in seconds if you want to drop the frame, it's light and has plenty of room for day gear. I keep my camp gear inside lightweight dry sacks anyway, but having a dry bag as the main bag is even more insurance. The only negatives I see are it's kind of tough getting in and out of the Native when it's compressed tightly with the dry bag underneath, and without a zipper you have to dig around in there to get what you want. I figure I'd keep gear that I'd be less likely to get to in a hurry, such as survival stuff, puffy, raingear in the Native, and more urgent things like first aid kit and snacks in the Guide Lid.

If you wanted to ditch the Guide Lid, you could, but it really helps suck the Native to the frame when there's no dry bag. Otherwise, there's some slack between the Native and frame. Easily solved by adding an extra set of compression straps or attaching the compression straps directly to the PALs instead of the tab loops. By attaching the compression straps to the PALs you can also really compress the contents of the Native if needed.

Weight (using manufacturer specs)
Native 17.2 ounces
Guide Lid 11.5 ounces (including chamber pocket 1.5 ounce)
Sea to Summit 65L Dry Bag 10 ounces
Total pack weight 26.7 without dry bag 36.7 with

LyeLXDU.jpg

OTKaZgM.jpg

DO4VD7r.jpg

VlUBkX5.jpg

LA8LpK3.jpg

OP
N
Thanks for the photos and info.
Helps me a lot. I think I will use my camp bag, got one here somewhere, and get myself the Native, the system looks sweet for day hunting and with the camp bag, it can work as a multi day set up as well.
I do not have a Guide lid, only a standard lid, but will bring the Grab-it, them I am ready :)

Thanks.

My frankenpack is similar to what is above. I have a Nomad-2 with OGL, 26" frame. I just purchased a native from the classifieds here and am running it under the wings of the native. I have also attached a modified Mountain Smith fanny pack at the very bottom of the 26" frame (Kifaru doesn't make anything that fits that space well - it sits below the wings at the very bottom of the frame and gives me quick access to my always-have odds and ends which I keep in there + kill kit.) When packing in I put the tent/poles/bag under the native against the frame. Clothes/food in the native. Stove/fuel + whatever gear is left in the Nomad wings and cinch it up with a Grab-It and the OGL over everything.

OGL holds TP, puffy, hoodie, maps, gloves, snacks.

Last year I used a gen 1 Peregrine in place of the Native between the wings and it worked well enough, but was just a bit too big and the xpac material was noisy. Definitely proofed the concept I was after and led me to hunt a Native in the classifieds.

When I get to camp I just unload the tent/bag, unclip the native and empty the wings and I have the perfect daypack for what I need with the empty Nomad wings just holding my small cheap Amazon tripod. The OGL and fanny pack pocket on the bottom hold all of my day hunt gear and the wings stay empty.

Definitely a frankenpack, but works very well for what I need it to do.

ChrisAU

WKR
Native = 1100 ci, Guide Lid = 1200 ci. I guess i don’t understand math haha. There’s no way the guide lid is bigger, both are stuffed in this pic. For anyone on the fence about a Native, get one! Lot more room than you think. I have boot covers, puffy jacket and pants, rain jacket and pants, neck gaiter, and a balaclava just inside the Native with some room to spare. Was just toying around with different setups when I took this pic, have a heavy FL Woodbury stuffed in the guide lid. Could prob stuff a base layer in with it.

46118453_10106503121713821_2767731355662942208_n.jpg