Nc public land hunter, first time.

Bsd0323

Lil-Rokslider
What's up fellas, this year will be the first time I focus heavily on public land hunting in nc. I'm in the durham area. Will be hunting rifle bow and muzzleloader. Any nc whitetail guys in here? My work schedule has opened up and I'll have plenty of long weekends.

Tsimms

FNG
The game lands around Shearon Harris and Jordan Lake can be really good. Lots of deer and some good ones are around. Chatham Co has some good game lands off hwy 1. Focus on the public Land in Wake co and you’ll be fine. Not that far from you. Good luck.

OP
B

Bsd0323

Lil-Rokslider
Would you say these zones are crowded? My plan is to sort of pre-scout with some small game hunting and really just push in as far as i can before day break and get away from parking lots and the roads.

Dwt

FNG
The majority of my hunting is done on Harris and Jordan. Opening day is usually a zoo, but it drops off considerably after that. Easy to access areas will always be crowed, but you will be fine if you put in a little effort to get away from the roads/parking lots.

OP
B

Bsd0323

Lil-Rokslider
The majority of my hunting is done on Harris and Jordan. Opening day is usually a zoo, but it drops off considerably after that. Easy to access areas will always be crowed, but you will be fine if you put in a little effort to get away from the roads/parking lots.
Do you tag out every year?

OP
B

Bsd0323

Lil-Rokslider
I usually deer hunt a handful of times a year and kill 1 or 2. That’s all my wife and I really need, and then I move on to other things.
Do you take them somewhere to be processed? Living in an apartment I dont really have a way to process them.

Haven’t hunted down there since my college days, but I did the same as Dwt. Probably focused most of my time on Harris, but did hunt Jordan in a few spots off 751, closer to Chapel Hill (go pack!). Opening day usually had multiple cars parked in every pull off, but midweek was usually a ghost town, and the pressure dropped off significantly after opening day.

Dwt

FNG
Do you take them somewhere to be processed? Living in an apartment I dont really have a way to process them.

I process them myself, but living in an apartment would definitely complicate things. There are processors around though. I know I’ve seen people ask and get recommendations on some of the more local hunting forums, so doing some searches on those would turn up options.

FLS

WKR
Hunt midweek if you can. Hunt all day if you can. Most will head out about 9-10AM and return about 3 PM, that will push the animals around some. Don’t be too picky.

jspradley

WKR

It can be done, trust me. lol I have butchered many deer in a tiny apartment kitchen.

The main thing is to get it quartered up and into a cooler, from there all you need is knives, heavy duty saran wrap and a cutting board.

If you want to do it yourself, I really recommend it.

I live in Durham and hunt both Falls & Jordan. Some of the best deer sign is close to the GL boundary and other houses or suburbs. There is a discharge distance restriction but this doesn't apply to archery!
There are some spots both game lands you can get back really deep and I've done that too.

The no sunday hunting on public is bogus since I (and most others) work M-F. There was some public forums this year that went really well and it's looking promising that 2021 we will have some form of Sunday hunting on public.

Let me know if you have other questions

OP
B

Bsd0323

Lil-Rokslider
It can be done, trust me. lol I have butchered many deer in a tiny apartment kitchen.

The main thing is to get it quartered up and into a cooler, from there all you need is knives, heavy duty saran wrap and a cutting board.

If you want to do it yourself, I really recommend it.
Yeah I'd love to do it myself. I've only ever hung them up in a barn and butchered outside. I imagine it can be done. Maybe YouTube can help with some videos. Thanks man

OP
B

Bsd0323

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Durham and hunt both Falls & Jordan. Some of the best deer sign is close to the GL boundary and other houses or suburbs. There is a discharge distance restriction but this doesn't apply to archery!
There are some spots both game lands you can get back really deep and I've done that too.

The no sunday hunting on public is bogus since I (and most others) work M-F. There was some public forums this year that went really well and it's looking promising that 2021 we will have some form of Sunday hunting on public.

Let me know if you have other questions
Have you ever hunted the falls archery only zone? I'm lucky enough to have 3 day weekends regularly and been saving sick days for hunting season this year.

OP
B

Bsd0323

Lil-Rokslider
Hunt midweek if you can. Hunt all day if you can. Most will head out about 9-10AM and return about 3 PM, that will push the animals around some. Don’t be too picky.
I just want to fill my freezer first and foremost. Then I'll focus on antler size. Thanks for the advice. I plan on getting in as far as I can and spending all day in the woods when I go.

Have you ever hunted the falls archery only zone? I'm lucky enough to have 3 day weekends regularly and been saving sick days for hunting season this year.
I haven't hunted that particular section but it looks fine. We have a long archery season and I didnt run into too many people during archery in the general areas. Saw a few during muzzleloader and didn't hunt rifle as I switched focus to chasing them ducks

OP
B

Bsd0323

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't hunted that particular section but it looks fine. We have a long archery season and I didnt run into too many people during archery in the general areas. Saw a few during muzzleloader and didn't hunt rifle as I switched focus to chasing them ducks
Man, would love to chase them ducks. Need a partner? Lol. Thanks for the advice though.

Man, would love to chase them ducks. Need a partner? Lol. Thanks for the advice though.

I saw a lot more duck hunters at Falls/Jordan that I did deer hunters!! Sucks to get to your spot at 4AM to have some knucklehead set less than 100 yards from you a little before LST.

OP
B

Bsd0323

Lil-Rokslider
I saw a lot more duck hunters at Falls/Jordan that I did deer hunters!! Sucks to get to your spot at 4AM to have some knucklehead set less than 100 yards from you a little before LST.
Do you use a boat? How would one go about duck hunting? I imagine it's better in groups.