Nebraska December Antelope

ghenson82

FNG
I have a chance to bowhunt western nebraska in December primarily for deer, but i'm thinking about buying an antelope tag just in case. Rumor from the landowners is- they are seeing more antelope than they have in recent years. Any tips to get within bowrange of those guys in the late season? Are they on alfafla pivots or cut corn, or just out of the wind in the hills? I do have a mule deer stalker decoy that I might try as well. Thanks

Just remember that by December a lot (probably most) of the bucks will have shed their horns so all you may see are 6-7 inch "spikes".

ClearCreek

Jimss

WKR
As ClearCreek mentioned, the antelope bucks shed their horns by December. Antelope often herd up into large groups at that time. They also may migrate long distances to winter ranges. From what I know about Nebraska .....antelope density is relatively low. Be prepared to cover lots of country to find the few that are there. In regard to archery in December. It could also be super challenging. The bucks are not rutting nor likely coming into waterholes. It may be difficult stalking in wide open spaces. Be prepared for the most challenging hunt of your life with a bow. Good luck!

OP
ghenson82

ghenson82

FNG
Thanks guys, good info. We're mainly looking for mulies in that part of the state, so an antelope would just be by luck anyway. Sounds like we will be too late in the year to put any effort into hunting them this trip.