Nebraska Elk Controversy

guf54

FNG
Damage Control Elk Permit for Morrill Co. landowner raises questions, concerns among hunting public

This has been a big topic around Nebraska hunting circles since the news broke. A Nebraska bull elk tag is a once in a lifetime permit so that is why many hunters have a big problem with this decision...and to add to it this landowner is known to charge a pretty hefty price to shoot elk on his ranch so people believe he could have alleviated this issue by letting more hunters on his property.

The main thing I'm curious of is how other states that have a much higher elk population deal with complaints of crop/farm damage?

Wapiti1

WKR
Increased cow tags. Extended seasons, or special seasons for cows. Occasionally, they will issue depredation permits for cows. Sometimes they just reimburse the farmer for the damage.

It is not common that bulls are part of the herd reduction plan, but bulls are the general tag animal in most areas. So, you shoot cows to balance the population objective. I'll not get into the public wildlife/private land arguments. The FWP/DNR or whatever they are called in your state do have a tough balancing act.

In the case above, I'm not sure we have enough info to judge what is right or wrong.

Jeremy

jmez

WKR
Elk and crops wouldn't mix. In SD they primarily get into hay. Game and Fish comes out and puts up fence around hay yards to keep them out.

WKR
I have heard stories of a rancher that roped an elk and sawed off the antlers so the elk would quit tearing up equipment around his place. Maybe Joe Rogan will get into elk roping next.

jolemons

WKR
He isn't allowed to keep antlers or meat, so i don't see the argument against this.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
One can pay several thousand dollars to shoot a velvet bull with their rifle.
SAN LUIS VALLEY DAMAGE ELK HUNT A private-land-only elk damage hunt may be offered in units NEW 79, 82, 682 and 791. Contact the CPW office in Monte Vista, 719-587-6900, for details. These licenses are List B. GMUs 79, 82, 682 & 791: ▶Bull seasons:May 15–July 31 and Aug. 15–Feb. 28 ▶ Cow season: Aug. 15–Feb. 28

Damage Control Elk Permit for Morrill Co. landowner raises questions, concerns among hunting public

This has been a big topic around Nebraska hunting circles since the news broke. A Nebraska bull elk tag is a once in a lifetime permit so that is why many hunters have a big problem with this decision...and to add to it this landowner is known to charge a pretty hefty price to shoot elk on his ranch so people believe he could have alleviated this issue by letting more hunters on his property.

The main thing I'm curious of is how other states that have a much higher elk population deal with complaints of crop/farm damage?

same exact way. Crop depredation permits. My farm is in a state that pronghorn rifle tags are a once in a life time draw tag. We normally end up with 1-4 land owner permits.. ironically the tags would probably only cover a 1/4 of the crop loss for us if we sold them, but enough to help tolerate the 100 plu he mowing down our winter wheat and barely.

crop depredation permits are to help recover damages, so the more they bring the more tolerant landowners are.

Bulls are hell on irrigation sprinklers also

Last edited: