Need A Stock For An Old Savage Stagger Feed Rifle

RedBeard22

Lil-Rokslider
I have an obsolete stagger feed pattern Savage 110 7mm Rem Mag. The receiver and magazine system are different from current production parts, and not compatible according to Savage. I'd like to bring this gun into the 21st century as much as I can because it was my first "big boy" hunting rifle my grandfather gave me, but it's not pleasant to shoot at all and has rarely been shot. I've found compatible scope rails, butt pads, and triggers, but no stock.

Does anyone know of someone who makes stocks for older Savage rifles? Preferably something lightweight? Wood is fine, but I'd like something that will allow a larger barrel to be free-floated. Savage said the barrel thread remained unchanged, so I'm considering a Proof Research carbon fiber barrel.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 29

bobinmi

WKR
Bell and carlson, and Boyds. Those are the only ones I know of if you want to keep your internal staggered magazine. I've been looking for the same stuff. MPI will pretty much make whatever you want. Out of those 3 MPI is the most expensive, but hands down the lightest.

busch_6

FNG
I have the same old savage like this I re-barreled in 280AI and then put a carbon fiber MPI stock on it. MPI lead time is quite long, but it turned out great.

OP
RedBeard22

RedBeard22

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same old savage like this I re-barreled in 280AI and then put a carbon fiber MPI stock on it. MPI lead time is quite long, but it turned out great.
Do you have pictures?

Darryle

WKR
What is the screw spacing? It should be a long action, I don't see an issue as long as you get the stock and corresponding bottom metal and trigger guard with the stock, you shouldn't have any problems.

I just bought a stock yesterday. I researched quite a bit. I’m building an outwest gun. I went with a Boyd’s. I had an uneasy feeling that I should have waited on the lead times for a carbon stock option. But, I’ve got a little time as I’m not using it this fall. So, if the Boyd’s is unruly heavy then, I’ll just order a carbon stock for it.

One thing to consider though is the balance of the gun with such a light stock. If you are free hand carrying the thing a lot, a pound more isn’t your enemy if it’s balanced better then a nose heavy lighter rifle. Not that you didn’t know that. Just something to consider.

OP
RedBeard22

RedBeard22

Lil-Rokslider
What is the screw spacing? It should be a long action, I don't see an issue as long as you get the stock and corresponding bottom metal and trigger guard with the stock, you shouldn't have any problems.
I forget the screw spacing, but I found a couple stocks that could fit.

The issue was Savage told me the action was no longer compatible with production parts. I don't know if that applies to aftermarket bottom metals.

OP
RedBeard22

RedBeard22

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a stock yesterday. I researched quite a bit. I’m building an outwest gun. I went with a Boyd’s. I had an uneasy feeling that I should have waited on the lead times for a carbon stock option. But, I’ve got a little time as I’m not using it this fall. So, if the Boyd’s is unruly heavy then, I’ll just order a carbon stock for it.

One thing to consider though is the balance of the gun with such a light stock. If you are free hand carrying the thing a lot, a pound more isn’t your enemy if it’s balanced better then a nose heavy lighter rifle. Not that you didn’t know that. Just something to consider.
I found Boyd's wood stock that'll fit as well as a Bell & Carlson M40 composite stock.

If I got a stock, I think it'd end up being a little heavier than the current wood stock. It's 40.4 oz and everything I've found for it is above that. I'm also considering that carbon fiber barrel, so the balance might actually shift to the rear a little bit.

Darryle

WKR
I researched this, it has been accomplished numerous times. You have to relieve the back feed port/bottom of the action to fit the chosen style of DBM. You can order a Boyd's laminate with their bottom metal adapter and screws and then order a factory DBM, the one with the integrated mag release, then use a dremel to relieve the area at the rear of the magazine well feed port until the magazine fits, seats and feeds.

ChrisAU

WKR
Get a B&C. I assume yours is a side bolt release. They have some that are side bolt release but detachable mag. You can get aftermarket bottom “metal” (plastic) from EABCO and a factory magazine. I did this with a Model 10 204 Ruger. Karl Kampfeld also put I on a diet.

22405A60-E885-4319-8D5F-78BE50EE1AE2.jpeg

OP
RedBeard22

RedBeard22

Lil-Rokslider
I researched this, it has been accomplished numerous times. You have to relieve the back feed port/bottom of the action to fit the chosen style of DBM. You can order a Boyd's laminate with their bottom metal adapter and screws and then order a factory DBM, the one with the integrated mag release, then use a dremel to relieve the area at the rear of the magazine well feed port until the magazine fits, seats and feeds.
Do you have a link to a good tutorial/video on how to do this?

Darryle

WKR
I am sure there is one, I just googled: Savage Long Action Stagger Feed to Center Feed Conversion and read posts on, 24hr, LRH and Savage forums.

I will look around though and see if I can find any

I just purchased a Birch stock for a savage short action from Numrich gun parts. They had all kinds of Savage stocks.