Rifle for a rookie

wilallin

FNG
Hi all, been lurking and reading for a while now, decided i would like some help from y'all to select my first hunting rifle. I'd like to keep the rifle price well under a grand, preferably around $800. It will be scoped with a Leupold VX3HD 3.5-10.

'22 was my first year hunting and I'm hooked. I took a whitetail buck (170 yards) and a doe (50 yards) last year with a borrowed Mark 5 in .257 Wthby Mag. Really liked the rifle, but don't have that kind of money right now. I am in the Appalachians, and would use it probably 99% of the time for whitetail, but would love to expand that to black bear, hogs and who knows what else if i get the opportunity to go west. Most shot opportunities in my area are inside 200 yards. However we do have some clear cuts and crop fields where i could potentially stretch it out to 450 yards max. I have hunted from a blind, a stand and a stalk with shooting sticks.

I have a 100 yard range in my back woods and intend to practice a lot. I put around 1000 rounds through my ARs last year back there. I would likely put at least half that thru this rifle yearly and i don't reload (yet) so cheap and available ammo is an absolute necessity. I reckon this limits me to .308, 6.5 CM and 30-06. Maybe include .270 and 6.5PRC as well.

I'd like to get a suppressor eventually when funds allow, but i do not currently have one. So a shorter barrel and lighter weight would be nice but not 100% necessary.

I really like the idea of the Tikka T3x Lite stainless and the Savage 110 Lightweight storm. I have only read good things about these on here, but I'm concerned the thin barrels would heat up too fast for me to get proper reps in. Would i be able to shoot 50 or so rounds through these in an hour without the barrel getting too hot for good practical accuracy?

Probably my top pick right now is CVA Cascade SB in 308. I'm concerned that it isn't stainless. It is cerakoted, but am I losing a lot by going cerakote vs stainless? Also, i am concerned the 18" barrel isn't going to give me proper expansion out to a ¼ mile.

I've also looked at the Savage 110 stainless with the accufit stock, probably in 30-06. I like the idea of adjustability considering it's my first rifle and i don't yet know what i like. That being said, it's heavy and I'm not sure if I'd gain much with the adjustment, i am of pretty average build (6' 205#) and felt just fine on the old Mark 5 with a standard sporter stock.

I've also considered getting a cheaper rifle (Ruger American?) and kinda building it up. I have basic gunsmithing tools and skills.

I would love some input and guidance, my hunting partner hasn't bought a new gun in a decade and only hunts with his expansive Weatherby collection so he's no help lol. Maybe i forgot something appropriate within my parameters (Sauer 100?) that y'all could direct me to. Thanks guys

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

I know it’s stretching, but if you can stretch the budget a bit Weatherby has a new(ish) MK V rifle (the Hunter) that’s much more affordable. (Can be had for a little o er a grand on GunBroker.) I just got one in .300wm!

If that’s not obtainable I’d choose the tikka over the CVA based on what I’ve heard as far as accuracy. Plus it seems Tikka has the best accuracy record with factory ammo. I like the T3X Lite Roughtech, and have seen them lightly used under a grand, or right at a grand on the classifieds here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
W

wilallin

FNG
I know it’s stretching, but if you can stretch the budget a bit Weatherby has a new(ish) MK V rifle (the Hunter) that’s much more affordable. (Can be had for a little o er a grand on GunBroker.) I just got one in .300wm!

If that’s not obtainable I’d choose the tikka over the CVA based on what I’ve heard as far as accuracy. Plus it seems Tikka has the best accuracy record with factory ammo. I like the T3X Lite Roughtech, and have seen them lightly used under a grand, or right at a grand on the classifieds here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd love to get a Mark 5 eventually, but that's probably a bit rich for my blood currently, getting married this year then building a house. I will definitely check it out. The Tikka is very appealing. My grandmother is a Finnish immigrant and that would be a cool talking point when family comes to visit or vice-versa.

Do you think i could string together 10 or so shots in a short period for practice with the thin barrel? Practice is gonna be key for me with my beginner status.

Go with the Tikka (IMHO).. Super accurate out of the box, plenty of Tikka options/accessories, plenty of aftermarket options.. If you ever wanted to change calibers (within bolt size restrictions) a rebarrel is simple and in many cases a DYI. All Tikka actions are the same length and cartridge length is managed via the bolt stop and magazine. The actions are machined to very close tolerances and don't generally have to be tinkered with to get to shoot well. Tikka rifles/actions are always in high demand for custom builds so moving it later if you need/want to is quick and easy... Not to say there are not a lot of good rifles that would meet your requirements(now), but as you evolve in your shooting/hunting experience the Tikka will offer you options that many other offerings/options will not... Good luck with whatever you end up with..

OP
W

wilallin

FNG
Go with the Tikka (IMHO).. Super accurate out of the box, plenty of Tikka options/accessories, plenty of aftermarket options.. If you ever wanted to change calibers (within bolt size restrictions) a rebarrel is simple and in many cases a DYI. All Tikka actions are the same length and cartridge length is managed via the bolt stop and magazine. The actions are machined to very close tolerances and don't generally have to be tinkered with to get to shoot well. Tikka rifles/actions are always in high demand for custom builds so moving it later if you need/want to is quick and easy... Not to say there are not a lot of good rifles that would meet your requirements(now), but as you evolve in your shooting/hunting experience the Tikka will offer you options that many other offerings/options will not... Good luck with whatever you end up with..
Awesome, thanks for the insight. Sounds like Tikka is going to be good for now and good to grow on.

Now i just gotta decide on a cartridge

rclouse79

WKR
Tikka .270, 308 or 30-06 would be my choices if I were starting over from scratch. I currently have a .270 and shoot the same bullet successfully for elk, deer, antelope and bear.

49ereric

WKR
06 if you go west
308 win if you stay home
doesn’t have to be an expensive rifle

BjornF16

WKR
Honestly, for the ranges and critters you’re talking about, you don’t need a big cartridge.

If WV allows hunting with a .22 caliber, then get an 8” twist Tikka .223.

Otherwise, get a .243 Win or 6.5 Creedmoor

Here is some light reading to help with your decision:

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
Buy a Tikka or X-bolt in 6.5 Creedmoor, 308, 270 or 30-06. The barrel will heat up, just let it cool. Your other option is a heavy-barrel target gun that is a pain to hunt with due to weight.

Importantly, don’t listen to ANYBODY who says .223 is big enough for deer and bear, they're drinking Kool-Aid and giving reckless advice to someone who considers themselves a newbie.

BjornF16

WKR
Buy a Tikka or X-bolt in 6.5 Creedmoor, 308, 270 or 30-06. The barrel will heat up, just let it cool. Your other option is a heavy-barrel target gun that is a pain to hunt with due to weight.

Importantly, don’t listen to ANYBODY who says .223 is big enough for deer and bear, they're drinking Kool-Aid and giving reckless advice to someone who considers themselves a newbie.
I guess you haven’t read through the .223 thread…guy killing elk at 800+ yards…but not big enough for deer…🤣

Sshhhh… don’t tell that Buck I killed last month that he really isn’t deceased (and in my freezer)

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
I guess you haven’t read through the .223 thread…guy killing elk at 800+ yards…but not big enough for deer…🤣

Sshhhh… don’t tell that Buck I killed last month that he really isn’t deceased (and in my freezer)
Congratulations, it's still trash advice to give to a newb who hasn't mastered shot placement.

Both the Savage Lightweight Hunter and the Tikka T3X Lite work well; the Tikka will be a bit more refined.

I do recommend grabbing a rimfire rifle (ex: 22 LR) for working your fundamentals on your 100 yard range. This should allow you do do a lot of focused practice at lower cost. Each time you shoot you should be doing it for a specific purpose. This can also allow you to practice shooting from a variety of rests and positions; do look up the Kraft drill.

A .223 actually would be great for a newb to get into shooting…low recoil, low cost ammo, high volume practice.

Or yeah, put him into high recoil, high cost, and low volume shooting…what could go wrong?

@PNWGATOR
Kinda wild advice. Think the best option for him would be Tikka T3X or Browning Xbolt in 7mm-08. Great low recoil round that you can shoot plenty on the range. Also has great energy to the 450 yards that he mentioned! Would suffice for Deer, Bear and most critters out west if you made a trip.

BjornF16

WKR
Kinda wild advice. Think the best option for him would be Tikka T3X or Browning Xbolt in 7mm-08. Great low recoil round that you can shoot plenty on the range. Also has great energy to the 450 yards that he mentioned! Would suffice for Deer, Bear and most critters out west if you made a trip.
Have you read the threads I posted in #8?

PNWGATOR

WKR
Don’t be in a hurry to make a bad decision.

Read through the threads linked above by BjornF16. There is a tremendous amount of information within them.

Bullets matter.

If I were in your shoes, I’d choose a Tikka T3x .223, cut barrel to 20”, vertical grip module, TO84 rings, SWFA 6x milquad mil/mil shooting 77 TMKs suppressed. If .22 centerfire isn’t legal for big game where you hunt and you want a factory rifle, same hardware as above, but in 6.5 cm shooting 143 ELDX or 147 ELDM.

West18

FNG
I just got my first rifle 2 years ago (first year shooting and hunting) and got a Tikka T3x .270. I'm very happy with it, its fairly easy to shoot and has been very accurate. I don't have much to compare it to but it has been everything I've needed it to be as a beginner.

goat73

FNG
I second the vote for a .30-06. Ammo is typically easy to find and you have a wide selection. My first rifle was a Ruger M77 in .30-06 & I took a number of deer easily out to 300 yards. As you gain experience, I'm confident many folks could push this out closer to 500 if you can shoot well.

I don't recommend the Ruger American. I have one in 6.5CM & not that impressed. I do like stainless synthetics that can live up to hunting conditions, but watch out for thin stainless barrels. I have one that'll walk all over the place when it heats up. I believe this is due to the metallurgy of stainless steels and have heard cryo-treating is supposed to fix that issue.

I'll second the recommendations on a Tikka. I don't have one, but rarely/never hear anything bad about them.

Hope this helps.

OP
W

wilallin

FNG
Awesome, thanks for all the advice guys.

I do have a 22lr that the scope is on right now. Getting plenty of reps in on that. I also have one of my ARs scoped with a Leupold 3-9 that i practice with for around 38 cents a shot. I'm definitely not a pro, but i have been shooting various rifles (mostly ARs) for about a decade now. So i won't be starting completely from scratch but I want to be as good as i can be.

Min. Caliber to hunt deer with in WV is .24. I like the idea of the 7mm-08 ballistically, but ammo seems to be substantially more expensive for the loads I'd like to use. I intend to buy in bulk once i figure out a load it likes from whatever outfit is cheapest, i use ammoseek to price shop

I'm leaning heavily towards the T3x Lite stainless after your inputs on here. Is this the type of skinny stainless barrel i need to be wary of?

It has a 22" barrel. Is it worth it to go up to the 30-06 at that length? Or just stick with the .308?

Prices seem pretty similar for ammo and I'm not recoil shy i was brought up on a chopped Mosin Nagant lol but obviously less is better. 6.5 Creedmoor's inherent accuracy with many loads appeals to me, but maybe I've just bought into the Hornady hype? 6.5 plinking ammo is about 10 cents a shot more, so all else being equal it would lose the tiebreaker imo. But i am of course open to being wrong